Japanese games. I just don't get it!

Those are absolutely fantastic games! Are there people who consider them bad? O.o

1 Like

Imagine caring what country a game was made in more than if it’s a good game or not. Also miss me with this “every Japanese game is like anime” nonsense. Imagine if i judged every western made game by the average AAA and said they’re nothing but wannabe movies more interested in setpieces, and telling their mostly poorly written stories more than actual player agency , based on whatever Sony or Ubisoft game i played that week.

I noticed this kinda thing is prevalent among this current generation of gamers, i didn’t see too much of this nonsense in the 90’s or even early 2000’s for that matter. Elden Ring craps on most of the recent overhyped AAA’s that have come out recently. Not because it’s Japanese but because it does the whole “open world” thing better than many of those games and i grantee will be copied by many devs on either side of the pacific. Great games are great games no matter where they come from.

1 Like

ER also gives you insane amount of content for a 60 dollar game and doesn’t charge you 90 dollars day 1 for a season pass. Now if they add DLC and it costs money…cool. I’m fine with that. But most publishers out there charge you near 100 bucks right away. Like fuck off with that shit. Yes you have a choice but its clearly an impulse tactic. Hoe many people that pay for gold editions actually play the extra content? majority probably forget about the game by then. But its cool the publisher got that extra cash.

1 Like

I like a game to have a story and cast of characters I care about, its something Far Cry 6, GTA and Halo Infinite nailed for me . I also found their game world to be far more interesting than From’s offering or indeed Zelda: BOTW.

I didn’t like Fromsoftware offering and I find it no fun in a game not to know where you have to go or what you have to do, never mind dying a million times

I don’t think the Japanese do open world games that good myself, that said there’s not many Western developed open world games that I like LOL

Is anyone really arguing otherwise? Somewhat serious question, it’s a long thread, I may have missed it.

But for me, who’ve already said I see where OP is coming from, it’s more to do with disliking some of the general sensibilities that in my experience are more prevalent in Japanese games.

Things like melodrama, overly cheerful and cutesy characters, garish colour schemes, and yes, the anime art style of large eyes, lipless mouths, and weird hair.

There’s more, but I’ll not continue to paraphrase my original post.

Point is, of course a good game is a good game is a good game. No matter where it’s from or who made it. But to deny that certain cultures have certain design elements that are more prevalent in that culture is to deny reality. At least as far as I can tell.

2 Likes

this is fine but still the argument was about the OW.

Well if you don’t like the world, the story, cast of characters or gameplay. I don’t really care how Open World Fromsoftware game is. Even though it was a technical marvel at the time… I disliked GTA IV as I found the world dull and the main characters did nothing but turn me off the game. GTA V is was completely different from the get-go, I loved the game world, its story and the Michael De Santa character

I also like the story and characters in Far Cry 6 and find the game world visually interesting and appealing and the gameplay fun.

So the windows twitter tweet about persona 5?

Trolling xbox and pc fans about persona 5?

Man this thing will rumble on

It’s gotta be happening… right? I don’t get why they’d port 3 and 4 (per an insider) and not 5 lol.

3 needs a remaster

4 is out on steam. They could easily port that to switch and box with minimal effort.

Royal is what MS wants im sure. Im sure pc switch owners also want it who havent played it.

I was with you OP. I shit on JRPGs and turn based games for years until I found Persona 5 Royal.

I’m still not the biggest JRPG/turn-based fan outside of Atlus games though, which is why I wish Xbox would just dump the cash on Atlus specifically. Mostly for selfish reasons.

What turn based games were you playing before? Also theres variations of turn based like the ATB syatems which a lot of games use

On turn based vs action combat: To me action based combat essentially boils down to (wait wait wait, block/dodge, counter, repeat, build gauge/wait for cooldown, special attack, back to beginning) or something like that. That is essentially the same as turn based, only you can move around a little more between actions. I don’t really see the difference, both systems can be designed poorly or designed well.

Hope this is true. I love to see it on Gamepass. I also wish Atlus would go back to Maken X one day. I loved that on the DC and it was a great ‘Japanese’ take on the FPS genre and the music score was utterly brilliant too

Youre not waiting unless youre playing on hard or boss fights. Its fun to maah combos and destroy things. At leaat for games like tales.

The difference is one requires real time action and to many is more engaging and fun as opposed to a more strategic patient stop and think style gameplay. Theyre not the same at all unless its a active turn base system

I dont mind turn based but it has to be like persona where its fast and is stylish. Or fast in general. I cant go back to slow turn based like the old days.

IMO, The Grandia games had the best turn based systems, felt like you were more in control of what your characters were doing than most other JRPGs out at the time. Shame the HD collection skipped xbox. Really liked FF13 combat as well. Best thing that game had going for it.

1 Like

Project Eve is going to be the Nier Automata of this generation for Sony

So you are saying that you can advertise a game for other platforms and then suddenly drop them all? Microsoft should take the notes with ATVI :fire:

2 Likes

Yeah thats bs if true.