XboxEra Community Hangout |OT7| Define "AAAA"

Done…we already stopped

The only thing ongoing is a freedom of speech discussion, which is less political and more conversational about how different places go about that

You don’t need to do anything

I just felt you were not getting where I was coming from and were being overly defensive about it. You could have explained things to me far differently than you did. I don’t hate your country, I was merely wondering if you guys hated mine and if so, why

2 Likes

We might be talking in the same language ‘English’ but come from far different countries with maybe different way of expressing views. Let’s and call it a day and talks about games.

Deal :handshake:

That all got way out of hand. Very sorry for causing that little fracas to everyone who saw that. I often go back and read things I’ve said and realize that it may come off confusing, or very differently than how it does to people from my neck of the woods

You’d think I would have learned my lesson by now

P.S. mods who come upon this. Sorry for making you have to deal any of that. If I get a warning or even time off for this, I get why and won’t hold it against you…and won’t call you dickheads

6 Likes

Can’t watch the video myself right now, but I wonder why Destin put the Mortal Kombat and Vice City DE artwork in the thumbnail of the video.

Its just a thumbnail, and those games are on psnow

Ah ok. Makes sense.

Anyone else taking advantage of the Far Cry 6 free weekend? I wasn’t gonna but then I thought “hey I got nothing else going on this weekend”, and so now I’m trying to blast through it. Judging by my progress so far - I’m not gonna get it finished but oh well.

I’m so far having fun though, but the main point I’ve been thinking is that these games seem to be struggling to find their identity as an open world game since Ubisoft towers became so frowned upon. It’s a bit of a shame really, because I actually think the Ubisoft towers approach (to clarify: “climb the tower, reveal an area of the map and all the side activities available”) SUITS Far Cry. The open world in Far Cry exists to facilitate the sandbox action that can occur - the fun chaos that can occur as you get into scrapes with wildlife, or passing trucks or just by giving the player the freedom to approach an objective however they choose. It doesn’t really function in a way to make the player want to explore it freely. I don’t think that’s inherently bad it’s just the way they design their open worlds, and so Ubisoft towers (or even just giving the player a checklist of things to do) is kind of ideal because they just tell people where to go if they want to do any particular kind of activity. Instead Far Cry feels like it’s stuck trying to encourage exploration because that’s what people demand when it really doesn’t fit the game.
Far Cry 6 feels somewhat awkward about this, at the start of the game you’re given a map which shows you all the paths and roads across the open world - it marks out which areas aren’t safe which gives you a rough idea of where some enemy bases are BUT some of these are part of optional side objectives and some of them are part of story missions. You have no real way of knowing till you get there or the game diagetically points you in it’s direction from reading notes/bribing soldiers/getting information from other rebels. It’s a little awkward, sorta makes me wish I just had a map of check marks to go clear.

There is one thing it does that I like though, and I think it points to what Far Cry SHOULD be doing - one of the optional side objectives is anti-air guns dotted around the map. You can’t fly anywhere near one till you get it blown up, and so they naturally reveal themselves if you fly within their target radius. This works really well, both in it’s simple execution and in that it’s an open world task that has an actual effect on how you play the game. It makes me think - why isn’t Far Cry just copying Crackdown 1 at this point.
For those who haven’t played it the structure of Crackdown was basically that each region had a hierarchy of bad guys to take out, you could go STRAIGHT for the one at the top if you really wanted and finish the whole region off neatly but you’d be up against a MASSIVE challenge if you did. Working your way up their ranks not only has the advantage of letting you gain XP and build up your character, but killing each major enemy would have an effect on the overall faction. “This guy was in charge of recruitment, the faction has less soldiers available now” - that sorta thing. By killing all the high ranking enemies, you’d weaken the leader and make the final mission in that region easier.

I think this would work incredibly well for Far Cry if they recontextualised the whole open world checklist around it. “You took over their munitions factory, enemies can now run out of ammo and have to resort to melee weapons” “You took over this roadblock, there’s now less trucks patrolling the region and a chance backup will not come when requested”, “You destroyed this barracks, every location now has less enemies”. Far Cry 5 and 6 both follow a similar structure where there’s 3 major regions run by 3 people working under the main antagonist so it’s already pretty well set up for it - Far Cry 5 even goes so far as to give the player complete freedom to do whatever it is they want to do because your main progression is tied to a meter on how much damage you’ve caused to the enemy (or something to this effect) and that fills up whether you complete open world side tasks or do story missions. You can beat the game having barely even touched the story. I’d say go back to that, give the players the option to go take on each regions final dungeon WHENEVER they want to and rework the open world and the missions to all have an actual tangible effect on the enemy forces and how the final dungeon plays out. That would make for a more interesting game I think.
Anyway long chain of thought I was just playing it and thinking about that and wanted to ramble a bit.

1 Like

5 Likes

Wow this is an interesting thread about people leaving MS because of 30% pay increases which is kinda a huge pay increase which surely means the people like working at MS so it takes a fairly big increase to leave.

In the thread people have actually taken a pay cut to work at MS because of the culture.

1 Like

I am curious about the positions that pay 400k-500k lol

Though usually when you have a higher salary you get less social benefits. Also in fintech, usually the salaries are very very high but there you are aging faster.

3 Likes

Me too, I was thinking senior SW folks at these companies would be in the mid-upper 200s.

This is happening everywhere

3 Likes

…oh shit, sorry. I thought this was related to…oh, nevermind

1 Like

Yeah this is a feature of the job market in general and I can only imagine tech is even more hot right now due to demand for software developers being through the roof.

3 Likes

Curious if the folks actually considered the stock grants or options they get when working for Microsoft. I know some folks who moved from other companies because of base salary increase but then lost out more because of stocks.

Though this fits in with “The Great Resignation” where the pandemic has caused people to reevaluate what they want or need from work.

1 Like

I don’t know where this person is from, but apparently Xbox is just… machine translating on their country’s Xbox twitter? That is just unacceptable to me.

2 Likes

Advertising/marketing/PR was under Microsoft until the reorganization with Phil as CEO of Gaming. With him in the lead now these are the areas I think we’ll see the most improvement.

7 Likes