XboxEra Community Hangout |OT6| New Year, Same Three Topics

Idk where this goes discussion best, but I believe that the Activision Blizzard acquisition will actually hasten Final Fantasy 14 coming to xbox.

There is a large and growing yarns there, it’s obvious it is only going to grow in market share more. The potential of WOW coming to Xbox could really impact the potential user base for FF14, SO I’d argue that if Xbox is a market Square Enix wants for FF14 to grow their MMO base, then they will recognize they need to act faster.

That man could’ve bought a director’s cut with that money :sob:

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of this game but I’m seeing some disappointment in the replies :man_shrugging:. MS should look into what these “technical issues” some Asian devs are having with Xbox, because RPG Maker MV was cancelled for a similar reason and it’s apparently the reason we never got The Wonderful 101.

2 Likes

Technical Reason = “GamePass Money Pls”

3 Likes

Possibly… A game not having technical issues on Switch but having them on Xbox is a little eyebrow raising lol

The more I think about it the more I think it might be later than that.

We gotta keep in mind that Starfield will likely get expansions too. I remember after Skyrim had all its expansions BGS wrote a message about starting their new adventure which was Fallout 4.

November 2025 would only be three years later. Now they have the engine for Starfield, so that should not pose any problems but taking into account expansions too 2025 sounds very fast to me.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so sure there. I personally reckon Apple will acquire them within the next 5-10. It’s too perfect a fit for them not to.

2 Likes

LMAO. Speaking of which Ironlord’s podcast is really good today. In particular watching Colin’s arguments get destroyed in real time and respectfully lol.

Man I am DIGGING Danganronpa…

4 Likes

and Amazon and Google will they enter the #Acquisitionseason too? :chief_think:

Could you even IMAGINE what OtherERA would be like if Apple acquired Sony?!

:scream:

1 Like

What does mean technical issues? It seems a but weird.

Man, I had an almost cultish like obsession with that series when it first came to Steam in 2016 :joy:. Glad to see a new audience playing it for the first time and glad to see it on Xbox now. Hopefully 2 and V3 aren’t too far off.

Apple will be quite limited on the giant gaming companies they can acquire due to their monopoly on mobile. If anyone they acquire has a sizeable presence there like EA it would actually result in regulators overturning it like the ARMs deal that was overturned.

They’d have to find pure plays in the console gaming sector. I’d expect they could go after people like Bungie (would be highly ironic lol) or someone like Koei Tecmo who’s very limited in mobile.

They’d probably be overjoyed

8 Likes

Summary of what Destin and Paul Tassi spoke about in his new video.

They discuss a few topics.

One part was interesting about how AB first went to Facebook, they said no, then another tech company and then MS.

• Is Sony in trouble?

Destin: No.

Paul:

in the immediate future: For this entire console generation Sony has nothing to worry about. Yearly basis we get quality exclusives, GOTY contenders etc.

Longer term future: He does have soms concerns about those. They can’t physically match wat MS is doing. There is no answer for this like Sony should buy EA. To the response on Twitter that Sony could do this he says Sony is 7 % of the size of MS, they have a 150 billion market cap, MS has a 2.2 trillion market cap. AB is their largest acquisition ever, so clearly they are giving blank checks to their gaming division in a way that…Sony and Nintendo can’t make these moves.

He’s heard that ActiBlizz wanted to sell itself to Facebook at one point, before they went to MS but FB didn’t wanna do it, they are still obsessed with VR and metaverse.

They talk Spartacus and long story short, Paul doesn’t think exclusives will be there day one, but if that’s the case it’s just not a Game Pass competitor.

• Sony’s answer

Now with the PS5 shortage, and them making PS4s again for this year , maybe they’ll start to rethink about launching exclusives faster on PC. They got studios now solely for PC porting. This all makes Xbox and Sony dead even. Sony will continue to make great games, Xbox now has a killer service that is undeniably the best value in gaming.

• Exclusives

Destin to Paul: CoD, Diablo, Overwatch, WoW, Starcraft, smaller titles like Crash, Spyro…how do you think they’ll play the exclusivity window going forward after having made statements “we plan to continue to support these communities moving forward” and “intent and desire”.?

Paul: That statement essentially means nothing. It can mean whatever you want it to mean. They are not gonna disband active communities like shut off PlayStation Overwatch servers etc.

I am am Phil Spencer this is my plan: All future Blizzard IPs are gonna be Xbox exclusive. Overwatch could stay on all platforms, since Overwatch 2 just seems like base upgrades over the first one. The statement kinda indicates this too.

A console version of Diablo 4 will be console exclusive. Something like a possible Starcraft FPS would be console exclusive. Warzone stays everywhere. A big shake up for CoD. Could be a game that comes out every other year. These other studios could work on Spyro, Crash. Mainline games will be exclusive.

Destin agrees.

• good for the industry?

Destin says he believes MS will definitely clean house. He recently did an article on games costing 70 dollars and why he thinks that shouldn’t be a thing. Xbox charges 60 dollars for their exclusives and looking on Glass Door the salaries they pay their QA, their game designers, sort of an entry-level role it’s markedly better than anybody else in the industry. Combined with the positivity from AB employees about the acquisition he’s hopeful about how everything will be addressed.

Tassi says it’s exciting but mostly especially scary, thinks the mega companies are getting too powerful, more powerful than the government. Isn’t looking forward to more of this.

At least it’s coming to Switch. That will carry them. That aside, I wonder what’s up. Also, I’m a bit happy with the reaction to be more “supportive.” Back in One era, no one would care, say nothing about it, or say “too bad, so sad.” In short, we have more fans expressing their disappointment.

People thinking Sony is going to acquire EA is wild, lol

3 Likes

The idea that Sony is going to “retaliate” at all is wild. Imagine them starting an arms race like this with fucking Microsoft. They’d be dead in a blink. They cannot keep up with Microsoft’s war chest.

1 Like

Not sure if this is the right thread but any Spelunky fans playing 2 on gamepass?

Man this game is such a disappointment, first was a 10/10 but this game is so damn tedious and the soundtrack is one of the biggest downgrades iv ever experienced

Its a good game for sure but compared to HD, it blows

1 Like