XboxEra Community Hangout |OT3| Setting Low Expectations

I think this is the one.

At the end of the day, there’s no point in discussing if custom is better than general solution as you can see it’s very easy to add whatever you want. Microsoft is a huge software corporate giant which makes several decisions before investing on a new software so it’s actually one of those where they make a business decision of investing on something that already exists and familiar rather than reinventing the wheel.

1 Like

So, Wednesday there’s BF6 and then Thursday SGF starts where we’ll see Elden Ring and much, much more. Good times starting soon!

2 Likes

Got my hands on an Oculus Quest 2 for my birthday. If Xbox wants to go ahead and support a VR platform, that’d be greeeeeat.

If we’re talking Unreal, yeah Coalition has helped create a sort of new texture projection technique which got added to Unreal because of them. But not Moon Studios, they use Unity. Playdead uses Unity as well and they created some custom lighting pipeline for Inside and then released it as open source. So yeah, a lot of studios modify these general purpose IDEs but still make it their own to the point its nowhere close to the build available to the public. This is the same in the VFX industry as well. Several big VFX houses still run on decade old versions of Maya or Max or whatever because their pipelines have been built within them, they just act as containers for all the custom technology these studios create for themselves anyway.

Something i would like Xbox to do. encourage the use of your own technology such as: Forza Tech, Slipspace or Id Tech :heart:.

I think after Days Gone and its bugs in UE4… they will use something more reliable like Decima.

Personally think that was more to do with Bend as a studio and Days Gone being by far their most ambitious game than UE4. I mean the game was eventually patched into a good state apparently.

In what way is decima “more reliable” than UE? I sincerely don’t now what you mean :sweat_smile:

Something that Playstation Studios has experience/knows. :slightly_smiling_face:

UE4 is not the best engine for open world, not even close to be.

2 Likes

14 Likes

How so?

It isn’t specifically built to handle open world environments like Creation Engine or Decima Engine itself being a multiplatform and multipurpose development tool. Recently Obsidian Josh Sawyer openly spoke abouts his doubts about UE5 open world prowess. Obviously you can make incredible open world with it, like SoT, developers talent is always the most important thing.

:green_heart: Id Tech, Forza Tech, Creation Engine, Slipspace. :green_heart:

this is reply. :kissing_heart:

I mean we havent seen ID tech beyond shooters, Forza Tech beyond racing and Slipspace hasnt had a game debut.

1 Like

Technically we have seen ID Tech in other genres but they were offshoots, but the other two I agree. Not sure why people want to downplay UE when it keeps proving it is a good engine.

The ideal situation is that internal studios will have options in the future but it should be 100% up to the developers what engine they want to work with.

UE is a great all purpose engine. If you have an in house engine better suited to your needs great but UE is as close to an “industry standard” we can get I guess lol.

Slipspace may not see a game besides Halo and we still dont know how Fable will end up with Forza Engine. I trust playground enough to not doubt them but throwing it out there comparing it to UE of some sort is premature.

in 1 hour will we have Xbox news? official countdown to E3 starts today? :chief_think:

This has more to do with the studio than the engine itself. Unreal is the most reliable engine out there. Pretty all the artist start out from UE4 of Unity. Its a prerequisite to get a job in gaming industry.

Also Unreal and Unity is used by vast majority of the gaming industry.

1 Like

Yes, but Idk if Playground Games could make the Forza Horizon 4 as we know it today in UE or ND could make TLOU2 as we know it today in UE for example. :man_shrugging:

UE5 looks promising. We’ll see. :slightly_smiling_face:

its funny, but isn’t this false? Sprint was added by Bungie in Halo Reach iirc.

1 Like