XboxEra Community Hangout |OT12| The Dirty Dozen

I just love how boombastic everything is in Doom Eternal, unlock a new weapon and you hear this super strong bass in the sound, menus as well, voices as well. It’s all super powerful and I freaking love it.

ID absolutely knew what they were doing with this game. The amazing gunplay, but also the awesome weapons you unlock, the mods and upgrades, the fantastic level design and even the platforming is great. It just works!

I am super excited to see what they got next and hopefully we find out in June. A great story campaign in the Quake universe could be awesome.

2 Likes

Yeah that was surprising kind of ‘biting the hand that feeds’ but Arrowhead seem great and it must hurt to see your game go from 85% to 52% and falling. I’m more flabbergasted Sony hasn’t reacted to this?

2 Likes

Weird really. I didn’t want to seem like a Steam hater because I’m not, it’s an awesome platform and I think it’s been especially the best platform for indie discovery and exposure… but no way in hell I’d think of behaving like that when a game isn’t on Steam and just another launcher away on the same PC lol

2 Likes

I have seen a few people from the UK now complaining that they have to verify their age for PSN via a company called Yoti.

You can verify with your mobile number unless it’s pay as you go, your provider isn’t participating or as others have stated it simply doesn’t work. In this scenario you have to provide Yoti a FACIAL SCAN or a copy of your ID. Just so you can continue playing a game you have for months - bonkers!!

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/account/age-verification-faq/

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/1787016207364657340?t=-RkA-HDVfTf_jhqy42F_cA&s=19

It’s no longer available to buy in Japan???

Now that’s funny :rofl::rofl:.

4 Likes

It could work, but they def have to release games simultaneously on Steam. I guess the pull they can have is play anywhere if you buy from Playstation launcher, but yeah I think they’re def heading down that road. It’s clear they want to show stronger MAU for their services and tapping into PC market will help that

1 Like

Sony just hard at work to increase their Monthly Angry Users again :woman_shrugging:

12 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen screenshots from Discord and X with some surprising comments. In one of them Arrowhead actively encourages users to leave bad Steam reviews as well as request refunds, in order to send a message to Sony.

Until now I’ve mostly followed this whole thing with morbid fascination, but this is the first time I’m wondering about the longer term implications.

Will this damage Sony and Arrowhead’s relationship to the point it impacts the likelihood of them partnering again? I have to assume they are unhappy with each other at the moment.

Will it impact other developers’ willingness to partner with Sony? If you’re a smaller, PC-centric dev I have to assume you’re looking at all this with raised eyebrows.

It’ll be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I imagine there’ll be some kind of official statement made on Monday.

1 Like

This is gross and should be called out by everyone. I’m sure “games journalists” are too busy thinking of ways to shit on Xbox to actually cover this properly though.

6 Likes

Monitoring and surveillance in the guise of safety and authentication… this is deeper than just silly gaming companies doing it. Pay attention to what’s happening these days and what’s happening since the pandemic (vilifying masks and head covering) It is the intention for this stuff to be standard and enforced by states. If you don’t see it already, I’m sorry :neutral_face:

1 Like

Just when I couldn’t see how things could get any worse or odder. Thanks for posting this information.

The friction being imposed for gamers to keep playing a game they already bought is crazy.

2 Likes

Just finished Doom Eternal!

What a unbelievably fucking AWESOME game! What a ride! And SO much better than the first one.

I am not ashamed to admit I finished this in the easiest difficulty and it absolutely was not an easy time at all. I died plenty and I used up plenty 1-ups too. You’d think that on the easiest mode it would be doable for newcomers to this or even gaming overall.

Hell no, a friend of mine who hasn’t gamed a whole lot would have an impossible time. That being said, i appreciate a studio that offers several difficulty modes and it is proof how it doesn’t ruin it for those seeking a huge challenge. I know some Souls fans believe it would ruin their game if the studio added difficulty modes.

Will definitely buy the two expansions, but for now I’m gonna go with something more…calm. Ease the mind a bit. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8 Likes

No shame. The game is built to be replayed over and over and perfected, and not necessarily getting it right the first time, like getting in a rhythm, once you’re in it you can go for higher difficulties and find it easier each time.

You are hitting the nail on its head there.

When I started the game I was just playing it as a shooter, not really paying attention to enemy weak points. But much later on I noticed I started doing exactly that and I got better at it too. No idea if there will be a second playthrough for me, because the backlog is huge and so much stuff coming too, but who knows! The expansions I’ll definitely get!

Lovely, just a bad ass game with no nonsense. Tons of content to unlock and just as gaming should be. Man I can’t wait to see what they’ve been working on! Please, June!

Seems to be very bad

https://twitter.com/Pilestedt/status/1787043245999976471

https://twitter.com/Pilestedt/status/1787076609188483254

2 Likes

This is a bit odd.

I did not buy Doom Eternal myself, it was all via Game Pass. And I didn’t buy the Year One Pass neither. But when I look at it in the store it says “play” and when I search the two expansions it says play as well.

But then when I go to “compare editions” I see the price of the pass and expansions. When I go into the game it shows a shopping cart next to the two expansions in the main menu.

If I were to actually buy the pass, it should all unlock without a problem, right? It’s all a bit odd and confusing.

Just went to take a look at the latest HD2 reviews and this one says it all:

7 Likes

It’s quite shocking, wtf!

2 Likes

HD2 Stuff is wild. I thought it would be knee jerk reaction, but this is becoming We Want Cody wildfire. I legit curious if Sony will change their mind.

5 Likes

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I remember one of the key issues with one of the original PSN hacks was that Sony was storing customer info in unprotected text files (or something similar). Then, a year or so later they got hacked again and we found out they had changed nothing and customer data was still in unprotected files.

Regardless of whether my memory is correct, ever since then I’ve refused to give Sony my credit card info or anything in general if I can help it. I make all of my PS purchases through their web store via Paypal.

2 Likes