XboxEra Community Hangout |OT| Safe Space no longer required (Part 1)

I’m sorry who is David Jaffe

Jaffe has been trying his best to shit on Perfect Dark and The Initiative since the first trailer released. Honestly lost a lot of respect for that guy.

I’m not sure, some old washed up ex-dev with a podcast I believe.

Oh ok I doubt he would know anything about Xbox game studios

I finally unfollowed and unsubscibed on Twitter and Youtube today. So sad, because I like so much usually, but he’s gone off the deep end with Xbox stuff. Phil Spencer blocked him.

Oh, haha. Well that says it all then.

3 Likes

That explains a lot are we sure he isn’t crap gamer

Original creator of God of War and Twisted Metal, got tired of AAA development (and had a big flop in Drawn to Death), so now he does Youtube. Like I said, he’s usually great (big supporter of Game Pass, ironically), but when it comes to Xbox first-party, he goes into this weird rage blind spot. I don’t get it.

Well he did have a podcast with NXTGEN 720 at one point, not sure if he still does.

No surprise

I wonder if Phil and Xbox turned him down and he’s salty because of that? He seems to think he is better than anyone else. Thing is, with the way he is behaving he’ll be lucky to get another job in the industry anywhere, even back with Sony, as people talk and don’t appreciate shit like he does

4 Likes

Yep

2 Likes

David Jaffe gave me God of War and Twisted Metal so I can’t say anything bad about the guy. Don’t follow him but I do watch his videos from time to time. Last one I watched was with him watching the latest trailer for Black Myth Wukong.

The main issue is pretty much simple when you think about it - Sony’s first party studios talent leaves and it simply doesn’t affect the quality of their games at all to where it’s as if no one ever left. With Microsoft, they’re still unproven plain and simple. This isn’t Xbox 360 we’re you have no cause for concern or anything. This is after a decade of subpar mediocrity excluding the big three. They need to prove that talent can depart their studios and yet, they can release 90+ games that are bangers, classics and masterpieces. Until that day, that’s why everyone judges them more so because the track record simply isn’t there.

I want to see how all the studios do while under Microsoft when it comes to their games. Thus far, none of them have a released a game yet under Microsoft.

• Compulsion Games - New IP
  • Ninja Theory - Hellblade 2
  • Undead Labs - State of Decay 3
  • InXile - New IP
  • Obsidian - Avowed (and others)
  • Double Fine - New IP (after Psychonauts 2)

This is why I want Starfield in March 2022. We all know Bethesda Game Studios Fallout/TES games have a shit ton of issues all the time at launch. That’s no longer acceptable in my opinion. The game needs to be fully optimized, polished and ready to play without having to be worried if something you do in the game breaks it.

That’s pretty much what it comes down to. With Sony’s first parties, I have zero worries or concerns because they’ve proven themselves to me since PlayStation 3. No interest in Nintendo but when was the last time any Nintendo fan was worried or concerned about their quality? Even I know that their quality is top three in the industry.

With Microsoft, they simply need to show me that their first party studios can get to the level of a Sony and Nintendo and more importantly, on a game by game consistent basis. Once they do that, then if someone leaves, it won’t matter.

If everything goes the way that it should hopefully go, then by the time this current generation ends, things will have completely changed and Microsoft/Xbox will be seen in a far more positive light in regards to their first party studios and games which in turn will eliminate all the worries and concerns from people who aren’t the hardcore Xbox fans that have stuck with them for years if not decades.

If you mean “haven’t had a game published by Xbox yet”, technically Ninja Theory released Bleeding Edge.

Double Fine & Xbox also published the Lucas Arts remasters, but I get what you mean.

I too am excited to see what these teams can do. I think we’ll be pleasantly surprised by Compulsion (and this is coming from someone that hated We Happy Few’s gameplay).

Not just published but developed under Microsoft. Bleeding Edge was in development before Microsoft acquired Ninja Theory. And let’s be honest, would anyone truly want to add that game? I wouldn’t.

Under the entire Spencer regime since 2018, outside of Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 (which I did say excluding the big three or four if you count both Forza games individually instead of just as one under “Forza”), they haven’t released anything yet.

Even though you can exclude Halo Infinite (one of the big three) and Starfield (due to being in development prior to ZeniMax being acquired by Microsoft), they truly need to hit in terms of quality, optimization and polish because by doing so, they can set the stage, the bar and go from there. They will also give people especially those like me who’s only concern is their quality more confidence in that they’re taking the quality level very seriously.

Trust me, if I wasn’t confident in Sony’s first party studios giving me quality exclusive games, I wouldn’t have bought a PlayStation 5. That’s how I want to feel when it comes to Xbox. And if anything, I want to eventually get to the point where I feel overconfident to where I can see a CGI trailer like State of Decay 3 and be like, oh this game will be fucking amazing because im confident in it. That’s what majority are simply looking for that aren’t already Xbox fans or the Xbox hardcore fanbase.

I don’t think that’s it, he doesn’t seem to want to work in AAA games anymore (similar to David Brevik). I think he’s just out of date. Everything he says about Xbox first-party was true, but no longer is.

Remember how Shpeshal_Ed said that Paradox was in talks with Xbox over something, maybe it’s related to the fact that they’ve just fired HardSuit labs from developing VtM: Bloodlines 2 and they need an RPG dev to finish it off… All the key Troika devs work for Xbox

4 Likes

Man, this is depressing. Hope they find a good dev soon.

Starting up Troika again would be a mic drop moment. Outer Worlds could be given to Carrie Patel. She did great on Peril on Gorgon.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: