Xbox Wire: Xbox Series X|S are the only next gen consoles to have full RDNA2

I mean, there was always a reason why Microsoft kept hammering the point about VRS etc in all their marketing material.

2 Likes

VRS will be quite important for the seriesS later in the gen. Its 4tflops will punch above there wieght thanks to VRS and directML.

2 Likes

Just Read the Xbox Wire article

14 Likes

Gold statement right there. This backs up more than anything that the ps5isnt true RDNA 2.

8 Likes

Itā€™s awesome how well-planned Microsoftā€™s strategies for Xbox have been. In the long term, this will integrate even more Xbox/Windows 10 gaming development.

2 Likes

Woof, thatā€™s going to hurt some feelings.

Digital foundry have been leaving little ā€œfull RDNA2ā€ on xbox seriesX|S and not on PS5 breadcrumbs. Its something they have done in the past when they have known things before the public.

2 Likes

I stand corrected. There is indeed no infinity cache on SX.

I was thinking of something else but itā€™s literally a 128mb on the die. Ms did touted they had a good deal of cache in the SX soc but not that much.

1 Like

yep, there is your thinly veiled damage control post like you do with everything on this forum regarding PS5.

7 Likes

So long story short, but correct me if Iā€™m wrongā€¦this could mean PS5 versions of multiplatform games could be potentially missing features like the shading, that Xbox will have?

1 Like

Falconeer is 8k iirc.

2 Likes

No damage control. Itā€™s just a matter of semantics, and wording. There are certain features that the PS5 will not support, and the biggest may be the ML stuff. We will see if AMD is able to provide some kind of DLSS support, but they are WAY behind Nvidia. MS Marketing is good at twisting words, like Sony has with the PS5 HD.

The Xbox marketing really reminds me of Sega. Iā€™d be interested to know if MS reference some of Tom Kalinskiā€™s old material

I am gonna look some of those up. But those sound like significant features.

Remember when believing in generations was a marketing tool

13 Likes
11 Likes

AMDā€™s DLSS will pretty much be DirectML based, I believe. I thought they would come up with their own raytracing backend, but looks like itā€™s simply the case that RDNA2 pretty much partnered with MS for having DirectX Raytracing as the official backend for it. And that would also mean DX12U features like Mesh Shaders and DXR, which obviously PS5 wouldnā€™t get cuz itā€™s MS tech.

However I found an article saying PS5 will be getting a type of DLSS too, but yeah, it wonā€™t be DirectML based, obviously.

https://twitter.com/PSUdotcom/status/1321504565326471168

That is not accurate. What you are referring to is their DX12U features, which is different than RDNA2 feature set. RDNA2ā€™s main features are perf/watt, RT and VRS.

1 Like

I think it means the PS5 doesnā€™t have hardware support for VRS etcā€¦,basically the leak re PS5 and based on 2019 hardware seems correctā€¦Series X is more powerful and more advanced.

3 Likes

About that, Richard in his article mentioned 72 MB of cache for XSX. But now, even he says that something got changed. Wonder whatšŸ¤”

1 Like

In theory, yes. But donā€™t judge the final performance just like this. Wait for DF reviews.

There is no doubt nin theory. But anything can happen in reality.