Xbox Wire: Xbox Series X|S are the only next gen consoles to have full RDNA2

He said there is RT hardware present. And Sony has company-internal docs confirming it too. It’s hw RT.

1 Like

Can you bring the sources please. I want to read it. Thanks! What I want is the proof of HW RT with dedicated cores in PS5. That’s what I’m talking about.

Looks like we are already seeing the power difference, Valhalla is 4K native on XSX and upscaled 4K on PS5

2 Likes

I’d have to go dig it up. It was linked in some YT vid I watched months ago. We have seen RT on PS5. It’s running on hw, not software-based. I dunno why anyone would think otherwise.

I edited my sentence above to give more nuance. Please read it. Thanks. I will wait.

a) below slides show the RDNA 2 feature set

b) int4 & int8 are mentioned in the RDNA white paper as to be part of RDNA. If RDNA2 is an evolution of RDNA1 I assume that capability as a feature of RDNA2 too

c) my wording with the “Primitive shader” was a bit off, I give you that. I actually meant their Geometry Engine is based on Primitive Shaders instead of Mesh Shaders.

4 Likes
9 Likes

a) Those are the advanced features, not the base features for RDNA2, shown earlier this year in AMD’s slides/presentations internally.

b) If they were part of the microarchitecture AMD offered the console makers, MS would have not needed to request INT support be added in:

4 Likes

Yeah the int8 & int4 stuff could be really a MS customizing. But again it shows up in the public RDNA white paper. Isn’t that a weird thing!?

P.S. An advanced feature is still a feature, right? :wink:

P.P.S. Jason Ronald himself listed RDNA2 features as RT, VRS, Mesh Shader and Sampler Feedback.

3 Likes

Yeah it is strange.

I think advanced feature is a feature, but we should distinguish between baseline features and advanced features. The reason I push this point is that we know PS5 lacks 1 RDNA2 feature, and it were missing some advanced feature we would still all agree it was full RDNA2 spec. But that isn’t the case.

Also, conflating the features can mislead ppl into presuming everything shown at the AMD conference is also part of XSX, when we know that ain’t the case (Infinity cache, for example). It can lead folks to think XSX has every single feature noted in any context at the show and to presume PS5 lacks most of that stuff, when that isn’t always the case.

Jason Ronald said RDNA2 was about performance and fidelity and efficiency but that it “also includes brand new features” and then listed what you mentioned. That is not baseline features (he noted 2 that overlap and are both there in hw as part of RDNA2 but exposed via DX12U as a feature there). Notice that he says “XSX/XSS has full hardware support for the full set of RDNA2 capabilities”. That means stuff beyond XSX/XSS are not RDNA2-specific.

Infinity cache is a technology used on the silicon to mitigate memory access bottlenecks.

A feature in the meaning we talk about are capabilities that can be used by devs. Infinity cache is transparent to programmers just like the transistors that accelerate RT or other fixed function HW.

2 Likes

P.S. I don’t understand why you want to artificially differentiate between “baseline features and advanced features”. XSX Supports all baseline and advanced features. So why do we need the differentiation? Is it because PS5 misses only 1 baseline feature but several advanced features?

2 Likes

Fair enough. Still, we should not confuse AMD GPU features with RDNA2 base features. Especially when AMD themselves cites certain things as ‘advanced features’.

Because the thread is premised on what distinguishes XSX/XSS from other platforms. In that context, the distinction I am making allows us to learn more about PS5 too, thus fostering more discussion around what is or is not present in the machines being compared in the XboxWire article. :slight_smile:

1 Like

“With the upcoming launch of the Xbox Series X|S on November 10, together we are ushering in the next generation of gaming delivering a level of power, performance and compatibility never before seen in console gaming, powered by AMD’s latest “Zen 2” and RDNA 2 architectures. Xbox Series X|S are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today.

2 Likes

(at least now I understand where you coming from. Took me a while to be honest)

At the moment the RX 6000 series GPUs are the only RDNA2 representatives in the PC space. The emphasis why MS is saying they share all those features is that games on PC that uses those feature are supported on console too and vice versa. That is the whole point.So RX 6800 features (the current RDNA2 GPU feature set) are all supported on Xbox Series consoles too.

3 Likes

AMD and MS led to lots of ppl conflating the feature sets. Sony for their part didn’t help by being coy about stuff like VRS. Sorry I was not clearer before! :slight_smile:

When it comes to PS5, the PS5 must be also compared to what is on the market on PC and the features presented by the RX 6000 GPUs. It actually doesn’t matter for a dev if it is baseline or advanced. What matters is the same thing there or not. And from that perspective, if a dev supports the RX 6000 feature set, there are features not present or different on the PS5 which we already agreed on (VRS, Mesh Shader and Sampler Feedback).

I do not see an issue to say it that way because it is factual.

(I don’t think it was a problem on your end and a need to be clearer, we just came from different angles and as you know, usually you can miss the other angle in a fast paced discussion)

Not sure you are following my point here. My point is that there are baseline features GPU’s need to have to be classified as ‘full RDNA2’. Those are RT, perf/watt improvements over GCN, and VRS. They also support the DX12U features showcased too. The point is that if we are careful with what feature is DX vs RDNA2, we can learn more about PS5’s missing RDNA2 feature.

You say it doesn’t matter if a feature is labeled as base or advanced, but it DOES matter if the context is to use that label to discern if the feature is present and available for use. My point is that we can learn about what is present or missing if we are careful with the labeled feature sets. By focusing too much on the Xbox end of things here, you miss out on learning more info regarding what RDNA2 feature Rosario was referring to.

Yes, we can be sloppy and just say ‘XSX has all this stuff, yay!’, but being more careful lets the discussion yield more fruit than that!

1 Like