Xbox will be part of TGS. Expect regionally relevant updates, no major reveals or announcements

and the crowd goes mild

Kojima isn’t getting revealed at TGS and no, a trailer for elden ring and cloud gaming doesn’t cut it whatsoever

Regionally relevant updates…what does it mean? xCloud launch over there? I think also ports of japanese games could be included, I’m not speaking about new stuff, so no huge deal in the grand scheme of things if Xbox gets years old games, no?

They were supposed to showcase Tales and Elden Ring on their e3 conference, but allegedly Namco ended their marketing deals with Ms (except for Scarlett Nexus) to not get on Sony’s bad side

1 Like

Who said this? It smells bullshit, why Bandai Namco should fear Sony reprisal or why even Sony would feel bad if they have a marketing deal with Xbox? It seems a Resetera-level theory, lol.

1 Like

I would love to know if this is true and how it works. I would imagine that there’s a contract in place and since Microsoft is paying the publisher, I would think that it’s at their discretion.

Yeah, moreover Xbox had several marketing deals with Bandai Namco in the last years, most of their big games, so I repeat it smells bullshit to me.

Especially since Elden Ring and Tales of Arise premiered at Microsoft’s E3 2019 showcase. It’s definitely fishy.

Jeff Grubb. It was weird because both games did had marketing with Ms and were announced at their stage, and when both came out of their hiatus they were presented only in platform neutral events. So something definitely happened there, just not sure of Sony was indeed involved

If Grubb is right, Namco paid the contract back so Ms didn’t lose anything.

On the other hand, if Ms still had the marketing rights why wouldn’t they showcase it under their e3?

There was pure hype for the game, and we also know there was a trailer to be shown last year or so that was pulled back at the last minute (and that trailer leaked afterwards, so it was definitely real)

1 Like

Bandai Namco is the biggest japanese publisher and historically the least close to Sony, it’s no coincidence it’s the biggest Xbox ally in Japan along with SEGA. I continue to call it bullshit, being at Geoff shows could only mean they wanted its audience after a 2 years disappearament, which is a very long time in gaming.

If I was Microsoft, I would have said no. Too bad. Shouldn’t have signed the contract then.

If Ms had the marketing rights that wouldn’t be Namco’s call. And there’s no way Ms wouldn’tat least filled the trailer with Xbox logos. So they definitely lost the marketing rights. Only question is why.

It was a long time watching a podcast for me, but is Grubb speculating on all that or something his sources told him ? Because around E3, he said something about Sony scaring mainly small developers, but that the big ones were safe on that front I think.

Being showed at E3 does not equal to marketing rights, remember Sekiro, announced at MS show, then the demo for press was on PS4 because freaking Activision is buddy buddy with Sony (and this year this thing could backfire at long last, trololo).

1 Like

Wasn’t Jeff also saying that MS was trying to get the marketing rights for Elden Ring, but all propositions fell through ? Which indicates they never had one in the first place, so they couldn’t have lost the rights.

1 Like

It’s clear they didn’t, even after the initial reveal all PS channels showed the game, when there’s a deal in place there’s always a delay in communications on rival channels.

It is just that I find it a bit weird in Jeff saying now that MS lost the marketing rights for these games, especially if they never had them and were trying to buy them in the first place.

I also don’t know if it has ever happened that a platform holder lost marketing rights. If true it could be very dangerous for Xbox position in Japan, they are trying to do better ans they lost their biggest ally? Nah.

I think Jeff is more speculating here as to what might have happened, because he is saying something different everytime. He also said that big developers were not really concerned by Sony’s pressure, but small developers mainly I think.

Yep, I also think it’s wild speculation, Sony is a well known thug, but the times of Sony execs scaring japanese publishers away from MS (like Ed Fries told in many interviews about Xbox beginnings) are long gone.

1 Like