Xbox Series X|S SSD are 'not' soldered to the PCB

@Warrior

Here is your answer above and below…

https://mobile.twitter.com/JezCorden/status/1325701505861775382

Case closed now! Can any of you post this update on other forums please? It will shut down all these fake concerns.

Thanks!

5 Likes

A different Series S has a WD SSD, too So I think they have 2 suppliers.

Did you notice that RAM chip on the PCB?

This one has Micron branding on it.

The one in brazilian series S has a Sk hynix branding RAM chip.

Yeah. 2 different RAM supplier is pretty normal. But as we now know the SSDs are from 2 different suppliers, we know they have the same stats and performance.

I know the case is close already, but here is the WD confirmation that the SSD on the SX it is not a stock SN530 and yes, it is pcie 4.0. Ppl should check information before speaking their arses off based on emotions.

3 Likes

Just another confirmation:

Retail Series X with a custom Phison SSD and not the WD CH SN530
Both Series X and Series S have both SSDs. 1TB WD CH SN530 or custom Phison SSTC SSD and the 512GB WD HC SN530 or 512GB custom Phison SSTC SSD

1 Like

Yup!

SSD has components from WD (SanDisk) and Skhynix

VRAM is from Micron, Samsung and Skhynix

Picture from the other side:

1 Like

This is surprising to me, I would of thought soldering the flash chips to the MB would be cheaper?

Im indifferent on the issue personally, the xbox series have great SSD performance, thats all that matters to me the method on how they got there is irrelevant but still quite interesting.

Depends. In general, yes, but you need a lot of units to make it cheaper. Xbox using 2 different size models also makes of the shelf parts better. And then there is RMA benefits if you don’t solder.

In a few years when Series S will get the 1TB treatment and Series X 2TB, you can sill use your 1TB stock.

For Sony as everything of the SSD was custom it made the most sense to solder it directly to the PCB. A SSD with 6 NAND would also be quite big and you need to cool it properly.
The storage solution in the PS5 is definitely more expensive than Microsofts.

1 Like

I can only speculate, it might have to do something with xCloud blades.

It may be easier for them to replace in case of fault, or maybe upgrade if they want to higher capacity.

It’s great for repairability as well.

1 Like