Xbox Series X is limited to have 700- games installed, but Xbox One X is not

With all due respect, answering with what is essentially saying “MS can’t be bothered, so we should all accept it and move on” isn’t an acceptable solution to the problem.

The whole point of a digital library is convenience. Having to re-download a title you want to play is the opposite of that. This is especially true for those who are not privileged enough to have a good internet connection.

I have Gigabit internet so it’s nothing for me to re-download a game. For my friend who is still stuck on 20Mbps down, a single game can take anywhere from an hour, up to half a day to download. For most games, that simply means he is never going to spontaneously play a game. Throw in data caps for others, and you can quickly see why “just re-download” isn’t an acceptable solution.

4 Likes

Mate, if you can install over 700 games? you can delete a few to make room for more. Seriously it a none issue, no matter how much 2-3 people care about it. It won’t change cause it affect literally no one.

Don’t give me the excuse of bad internet? when you literally download over 700 games to begin with lol.

See it this way.

Regardless of how many games or dlc you have or will ever have, you can only have about 700 licenses in your Xbox Series console right now, since launch.

If you only have 20 games in total, good for you. In a rate of buying 3-5 games per year you will be fine by the end of the console extended support.

And you will be able to access those games when they are no longer available, considering you downloaded and opened them at least once before going dark.

For other people, that will not be the case, though.

And essentially telling them chose those you want to keep and lose forever the other ain’t do it.

If you are only analyzing it on the short term is a bad sign, cause this basically affect everyone.

However, right now is not seen as a major deal, due currently is something hitting at some of us, those who are already on the edge of the front line. And given enough time will change exponentially. :sweat_smile:

You could say, we claim that the end is nigh.

Xbox will fix the storage allocation for DRM licenses on the Xbox Series? Technically possible but likely won’t happen.

There are work arounds? Yes, and No. Although the idea of having a second box to download a second (or more) part of the games will be possible if accessing to your console is even possible. (remember, Home Console is offline enabled, Login/Online Only when not in Home Console to check DRM licenses).

Will they address it on a next console hardware? We can only hope they do, otherwise the issue will just expand.

Pd. - Game Pass only players will not be affected with this neither.

TL;DR. This is an artificial limitation that Xbox setup to protect the UI from collapse due mismanaged resources. Remember “My Games & Apps” runs in the same instance of the “Home UI”.

Will they fix it? Not probably, it would may require a new UI/UX and at the moment is not flagged as an “error or bug” by them.

Of course, they will not publicly admit is limited, rather that is optimized.

The fact that they support HDDs of 16TB does not mean that they actually foreseen to be used in full.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that if somebody has close to 700 games downloaded, they wouldn’t have downloaded those in the last week :rofl:. If you have 700 games installed, you accrued those over several years.

I have almost 1200 digital games across Steam, Xbox, PS and Switch, of which about half of those were downloaded when I had the same 20Mbps speed. I never uninstalled them because I didn’t know when I wanted to dip in to a game. Admittedly, when I moved to my new location, I didn’t bother to keep everything installed because it takes at most 40 mins to download a full COD-sized title.

Overall, I’m not going to make an excuse for a near two trillion dollar company on the basis that the majority don’t care. Microsoft, a software company, should be able to solve this issue, even if it’s to please a few people. If someone has 700+ games, chances are they are extremely loyal customer. As a company you might want to consider that.

4 Likes

You might want to contact Xbox/MS themself. No one on here can truly help the 2-3 people affected by this. All i can say is delete some of the over 700 games lol.

About DRM, Basically everything digital has some sort of DRM. We agree to their DRM terms when we make a account with them. Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, Steam, Epic Game Store & many more, all have DRM. If anyone truly care about DRM free? they would be using GOG or other smaller platform.

DRM is here to stay. I have no problem with it. Why used Xbox or PlayStation or Steam for example and complain about DRM?

The digital games are tied to your accounts on Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, Steam etc… It is what it is at this point. If somehow you lose your account then you lose all your game. It does not matter if you download over 700 games to a external Hard Drive, it is tied to the account you made the purchased of the games from.

Honestly all this is just not worth it IMO. Just delete a couple games to make room for new ones.

Again, like i said to the person above. It does not matter if you download 1 or 700 games. They are tied to your account. You lose the account? you lose all the games.

I don’t see a need to download even 20 games let along 700 lol. To each his own i guess. Contact MS about this issue and see if they actually will help? i doubt it though.

That’s the problem when you don’t read. Just jumping to your own conclusions of if it doesn’t affect me, it’s not a problem.

I have already exhausted the official contact methods to address this issue.

I don’t have a problem with the DRM. The issue is that the Xbox Series only has enough allocate storage for so many licenses. And that same storage is shared for system updates, so you should be able to sde the problem it makes.

But if don’t, that’s ok. But don’t diminish something that currently is not impacting you, just because you don’t own that many titles.

2 Likes

I have over 1,000 digital games in my Xbox library alone LOL. I just don’t download 700 of them that is all. If you contact them and they don’t care it means, it is such a small problem that it not worth their time. I’m sorry it had to be like that but it is what it is.

So you’re saying that it’s ok to let companies like Microsoft get away with taking your money and not allowing you to be able to have your entire digital library at your disposal for when you want to play the games that you own I’m sorry but to me that doesn’t cut it no matter how many games I own whether it’s 700, 1500 or 2000 digital games and I too also have a massive digital collection on my PlayStation 5 that spans over from the PlayStation 4 as well and that contains over 1,000 digital titles and I don’t have any issues with DRM or installation whatsoever so what does that say about Microsoft as a company right this minute

@ReForce and I also had a response from Microsoft support yesterday after commenting on your post on Twitter because thay sent me an inbox asking me if they could help me with anything so I explained to them what the problem is but I still never got anywhere

with what they suggested

1 Like

Been there, done that too. Yep sadly is not easy to the Customer Service to dig into it, cause it was a Development decision to allocate that many memory for this purpose and unless they roll out an update it won’t change.

And basically it will not happen, cause that would mean they will “steal” user storage for games, ironic.

But yes, I also found that the One X had more capacity than the Series X but it did also reached a limit too of about 200+ in comparison.

And as of today I’m sitting on a 2533 library, excluding disc, dlc and hidden games.

1 Like

Wow that’s one hell of a collection, but ever since the Xbox One era most of all my games are digital now apart from the odd Xbox 360 game

Would contact someone like https://twitter.com/neonepiphany on Twitter about this, not Xbox Support.

3 Likes

Been there as well. Although I know EM could pass along the message to the correct people.

I even tried to address it to Jason Roland at the time before giving up

Thanks for that I might send them a direct message and give them a deep dive analysis as I’ve got nothing to lose by trying

2 Likes

Like i said contact them. This is a you problem cause no average person download 700 games. It why it has never been a problem before until someone actually do the unthinkable and download over 700 games for some strange reason.

Best to just leave it alone. I don’t understand why people need that many games installed but people gonna do what people gonna do.

2 Likes

Firstly like I’ve already said through my previous post I’ve already contacted them but with no joy in resolving the matter, but you as an avid gamer really just doesn’t understand to be a games collector because like you’ve said it doesn’t affect you (and if it doesn’t affect you why come on here with your broad mind narrative) as there is people like me and @ReForce that are games collectors

They are digital games. Who collect digital games with DRM? If you want to actually collect digital games? best to do it in a DRM free store/platform. Example, GOG is DRM free it is not tied to a account. You actually keep those games when you download them. On other platform Steam, PlayStation, Xbox etc… you don’t actually keep the digital games you download. They are tied to the account you made to buy/claimed those games. So if the account get suspended/delete than all of the digital games associate with that account are gone to. That is the DRM.

So again i ask. Why do you feel the need to download over 700 digital games in your library? Them digital games are tied to your account. Once claimed/buy… they are in your account library. You don’t need to download every single one, as you don’t actually get to keep them if something happen to your account.

Well I’m not going to repeat myself over and over again I own the games that I download from a digital store I should be able to do what I like on the device that they are able to be played on there should be no limitations as to how many games you are allowed to download it is as simple as that and Xbox can clearly do something about it because when @ReForce had this initial problem it was only 700 titles being able to be installed but obviously since then I can install up to 829 so they can clearly do something with it but they’re just choosing not to

O.K. good luck to you.