Xbox Series X is limited to have 700- games installed, but Xbox One X is not

I appreciate the effort you make on this task, it surely took a couple of hours minimum, lol.

But yeah, it’s a boomer to have to take the short straw on this type of things oftenly :cry:.

I’ll make a video recording of how it looks at my end before doing a second formating and checking the drives on my PC. (which I don’t think will be an issue since the X1X runs them fine).

1 Like

i second using the Insider reporting tool.

Yes I did, I already used it to report the 0x error.

Is more like “maybe the third time is the charm?” Kind of thing.

It took about three hours… but I was able to click through while I was working so it wasn’t wasted time or anything. Just wanted to provide some more information in case it helped yours.

1 Like

It will take me sometime to reorganize my collection, but I’ll have to use the XSX as the companion console for my X1X for the foreseeable future

Well I tried to do something different and enrolled back the console to Alpha Skip Ahead and well, it went as you could imagine:

Pretty much with this I’m almost certain that the SSD is defective or something around there.

Cause everytime it goes to recovery mode immediately shutdowns itself

I have ~900 installed without issues.

Yeah, problem seems to be the hardware, see photo above

I’m so glad that I found this thread because I’ve been struggling with this ever since I got my Xbox series x back on release date and at the current time I’ve tried resetting the console back to factory reset and downloading all the games again and as soon as I hit the 829 mark, the games don’t install properly at all and they lose their imagery and when you go to launch them it says your Xbox does not have enough room for this, to install it, uninstall something else then try again it’s so annoying because I own 1017 digital titles and that’s excluding the 132 that I have through Games with Gold and the other 321 that I have through Xbox game pass ultimate, and the ironic thing is I’ve tried several different methods anything from trying to change the Mac address to running my console through a VPN service just in case it might be my service provider or Xbox themselves trying to destroy my connection being as I run a 1 GB download speed which in turn is a lot of downloading I do hope they fix this issue very very soon so that us digital game collector’s can download our digital libraries and play them properly but I’ve hold very little hope for this considering this has been going on for 2 years now since release

1 Like

Sadly, they are not going to solve it, at least no on this generation, the post is 2 years old. I went to the Xbox Insiders, Xbox Customer Support, Twitter with some devs… dead end.

The memory that they allocated to handle the DRM is the same used to handle the system updates, so it basically will brick your console, forcing you to do a hard factory reset.

So, they are not going to increase the cap any time soon, basically because we are the hardcore users, and we don’t make enough percentage of user cases like to be a concern for the regular consumer.

The most basic solution from these guys has been, just install the game you will be playing. Even my Xbox 360 can handle 900 games at once :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Which I’m going to be quite honest with you I face numerous times because when I’ve downloaded past the 829 limit as previously announced on my post what happens to my console is it loses all internet connection even though I’ve got an internet cable connected to it and I can’t do anything with it plus it end up being so slow to respond to commands so I have to factory reset obviously it brings all my games up that I’ve had installed on the drive and the tiles come back that were missing but you have to verify every single game with Xbox in order to play the games which is why I prefer to download all the games again so I don’t have to go through and verify all titles that I currently own I just don’t know whether it’s worth going out and buying a secondary Xbox series X just to install the remaining games on there

I do have to say though after finding this post I’m kind of glad that I’ve got to the bottom of why I’m not able to install the amount of games that I want to install because I could have easily have gone through the next year maybe more trying to figure this out ,I’m just not going to waste anymore time on it now

This is a 1st world problem. Like who is this even gone to affect? who install 700 games?

When i beat a game i uninstall it. I only rarely keep game install if that game is a RPG with many choices and consequences with endless builds and replay value. Skyrim, Fallout for an example.

This literally affect no one.

1 Like

We’ll i stand corrected. I should have read you’re post before i comment above. It seem it does affect you. My advice maybe delete some games that you have already beat cause 800 plus game install is well excessive LOL.

I have this amount of games because they are what I have accumulated over time and because I have a full time job and I do alot of hours under the sun obviously I don’t get to play and pump the hours into the games that I own but most of these games I bought on sale price I mean who doesn’t want a good deal on digital games and if I see a good deal I’m going to buy it while the deal is hot and why not but regardless of that matter you bring out a backwards compatible list and not only that also all of the current Xbox One titles are backwards compatible on the series X and S (apart the Kinect games) I would like to be able to bring all of my Digital Collection forward and I don’t think that it’s too much to ask if I’m totally honest and it’s remarkable really when you look at the older generations of console like the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One X they never had any drm issues or have a cap on how many games can be installed on the system by storage devices attached to the console how could Microsoft have got this so wrong with the current generation I’m hoping fingers crossed they sort this out when they either released a slim version or maybe say an Xbox series X enhanced version like they did with the Xbox One X

And also adding onto this its not straightforward as just removing them because once you go past that installation limit then the Xbox series X starts running into software issues where the achievement list doesn’t show and the operating system itself starts to become slow and sluggish and worst case scenario if you crank it up and go up to say 900 total installations eventually the system is no longer able to connect to any form of internet network and certain tasks start to become unresponsive so the only option you have is to do a hard reset which at this point in time I’m currently in the process of having to do for like the 6th time

One of the reasons this should be possible is conservation.

You need to download and check online your license first before launching the game afterwards (offline or online)

So in a scenario where this becomes impossible you will lose access to that content forever

1 Like

One solution in the interim is to have a back up drive that you swap in and out so you at least have all your games downloaded. Not great, but at least something until they fix it where you dont have to worry about the games no longer being available.

Sadly this does not work, all the DRM licenses are stored on the internal hard drive.

So it doesn’t matter if you split 200 games/dlc per external HDD.

As soon you “download and install” enough games you will not be able to do it anymore.

Of course you can soft reset the console but you will basically just delete all your DRM licenses and will need to connect online and open each game to get them back… And you start over this loop.

4 Likes

Wow so you need a 2nd Xbox. That sucks.

I see what you are saying. MS won’t change this though since it literally affect like 2-3 people at most. Just delete games you have already beating, you can always dowload it later if you want to play it again.