Xbox Series S OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED, $299, £249. 512 GB NVME SSD, 60% Smaller than XSX, 1440p up to 120 FPS, Ray-Tracing, All Digital and More

Thats why when people say what if the series x has to do 1440p then what. It will only be bad for series s if the ps5 has to go lower then 1440p since ps5 is the baseline to scale from

1 Like

I think developers will struggle to reach 4K60 on both the XSX and PS5 later in the gen, while falling back to 1080p or lower on the XSS.

1 Like

by the time we reach mid-gen, native 4k will be a thing of the past across the industry, so I wouldn’t put too much worry into resolution. By that, I of course mean super sampling solutions will take over. DLSS 2 is already doing insane stuff, and MS shall start using its own solutions like DirectML and such (which shall trickle over to PC as well). I really hope Sony has something like that for PS5, otherwise it’d be PC+Xbox against a dying paradigm on PS5.

Oh I’m definitely not worried. Previously I used to prefer native resolution but with reconstruction techniques now starting to provide better image quality, I’m definitely a fan of getting more for less.

I also wouldn’t worry about the PS5. Even if they can’t support ML types of reconstruction, developers can still use older methods like CBR.

CBR is fine. But the thing with these solutions is not just reconstruction, but superior framerates too, that’s the other half of DLSS and the like. Death Stranding ran at 4K60 on the entry level 2060 because of DLSS, that shit should not have been possible but it is, so I was referring to those kinds of things becoming the norm in the future.

$300 or $25 a month will sell like crazy this holiday

1 Like

CBR should allow something similar. DLSS and CBR allow higher frame rates because it’s rendering games at a lower resolution and reconstructing up from there.

Yes it will. Xbox should push as hard as they can to get it out to more countries fast. 12 is nice, and my country was one of them, but on a global scale that is a fart. I suppose there is a limit to how many consoles they can produce though, haha.

Just a thought : maybe the rise in price of the new controller to 65€/70$ is further proof that they really are taking a big hit with these consoles, so they have to recoup the losses somewhere. Controllers and accesories are the most logical things to bumped up to make a few bucks. It makes more sense that way, as it is almost the same controller.

I think people need to realize the only image reconstruction techniques “comparable” native resolution are not available on any of these consoles. Even MS’s machine learning won’t be anything close to DLSS. On console, native resolution will still be king.

That all depends really. It might still be possible if the image reconstruction is still cheaper to do than native resolution, even if the savings in performance is like 10%, it will still be worth it.

Of course, it will be cheaper, it just won’t look as good as native imo.

All depends how good the machine learning is. We just don’t know because we haven’t seen it yet, although we do know it will not be as good as Nvida’s because they have dedicated silicon for it. The remarkable thing with DLSS is not necessarily how good it looks, but that you see dramatic performance improvements without losing any detail. It might be the case that you can get the crisp image but not anywhere near the performance savings.

This explains a lot:

2 Likes

The Display controller is identical between XSX and XSS, but bandwidth support lower. It can absolutely drive display to 2160p120 for those games running at 1080p120.

1 Like

Good news is the target audience for XSS won’t notice nor care. Honestly I’m not even sure what we can say about end of next gen wrt rendering expectations since new techniques can radically change things. Dynamic res was pioneered this gen and successfully so. DLSS/DXNSR is being pioneered now. VRS is still new and not in many games yet. XVA is brand new. ML is brand new in general. It’s tough to imagine where things end up wrt rendering. I do think anything done on XSX will be able to land cleanly on XSS though, just at 1080p. And if not, as I said that audience won’t care. If they do, they can buy an XSX.

I bet even early on this new gen devs target 1080p on XSS tho. Boost fps instead.

1 Like

Maybe Developers will start to use stuff like Fidelity FX on console to mitigate the low res. I just played the PC version of Borderlands 3 on my 4k TV yesterday in 1080/60 with Fidelity FX and it looked pretty good honestly.

Disclaimer: I think the storage space for all next-gen consoles is not enough, but it is obviously worse on the Series S.

Is it just me or do any you get slightly annoyed when people bring up the fact the Series S is a digital console and the storage space is not enough? It’s like no one has paid attention this gen that games are not read from a disc anymore lol: From a pure subjective point of view there is no difference between a digital console and a disc based console other than you can install games from a disc on one and you have to download them on the other.

Even John from DF fell into the trap when speaking about it when he really shouldn’t. He should just mention the storage space is not enough full stop.

Sorry for the little rant but I just don’t understand why some people seem to be incapable of just putting a little bit of thought into their rational thinking sometimes lol.

1 Like

You are making a good argument that games on disk have to be installed on the internal drive too but it doesn’t eliminate the fact the 512 GB of disk space sounds not like much in this day and age.

We have to see how much less disk space is needed for games running on the XSS compared to the XSX. It all depends on how Devs will make use of SmartDelivery. SmartDelivery comes not automatically, it has to be configured by devs. And if they don’t do that, all games will have the same assets regardless if there was potential of having a smaller package.

Storage is one of the biggest costs, particulary with super fast SSDs. I recently bought a 1TB SSD for my laptop and it was half the cost of an XSS and nowhere near as fast as the Xbox SSD.