Xbox Series S OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED, $299, £249. 512 GB NVME SSD, 60% Smaller than XSX, 1440p up to 120 FPS, Ray-Tracing, All Digital and More

Agreed. I got the gold versions of the last two Assassin’s Creed games for about $34-$40 each by waiting maybe 6 months or less after launch? Had too much to play in the meantime so didn’t even notice.

This has been my purchasing cycle for years, now. But I wait even longer to get the ultimate editions, usually at the $40 target. Even then, I still can’t keep up with the amount of games in my back log.

I think for the new consoles, though, I’ll break that for a few of the new games. The Ascent and Falconeer are two that stand out while I play some games in anticipation of the full Witcher 3 XSX re-release. Dragon Quest in December will help fill in the gaps, if I can play through the Witcher 2 360 BC by then.

1 Like

Yup, Assassin’s Creed (really all the Ubisoft games) is a really good example. By being a game or two behind in the series, or just waiting, I buy the Gold/Ultimate versions with all the DLC for every game at $25-30… I mean, why would I pay $100 for a game?

Bought the Far Cry 5 Gold + FC New Dawn Deluxe bundle at $25… I still haven’t played em, so I don’t feel the need to jump on FC6 day 1. It’s not like these games are going anywhere.

This is a bit off topic but yeah, price is king.

1 Like

Right. Just curious and want to understand more. It “can” output 4K if it wants but the main target is next-gen 1440p up to 120fps.

I’m also curious to see when games finally release what it’ll say next to each box and enhancements.

Ms is prepared for this?

Xbox One Game title One x : 2160p Series s: 1440p

Just more ammo for those warriors to create a big negative narrative like we already see right now . . .

1 Like

This is probably the better thread for it. Here and there I see tweets by developers sharing their opinion on XSS becoming a bottleneck, especially once next Gen only games start to come out. First the ‘concern’ was RAM, but now a Infinity Ward developer says it’s the GPU. I don’t want to discredit any developer or whatsoever ,but why do they do this? Because on the other hand we had Patrick Klepeck saying the exact opposite . That developers are full of praise for it. And let’s not forget what DICE said. I just don’t get it.

It would have been great if there had been nothing but praise from developers. Sure, maybe not always because of the potential extra work needed, but this seems to be about the hardware itself.

Just wait when Apple starts pushing gaming on the Apple TV. It’s going to be crazy. Series S will go against that.

I mean, why do we take what any one developer say as gospel? They are just people like in any other industry. In my line of work there are those who know what they are doing, and a lot who doesn’t. I’m sure we all have colleagues who you wouldn’t trust with sharp objects?

3 Likes

So it’s official, as expected, Series S won’t benefit of Xbox One X enhancements.

1 Like

Do we have to have a discussion every time a developer claims/says something?

The system is what it is. In two years if every developer is himming and hawing about the Series S, then we’ll know. Until then, this constant rush to share every tweet theorizing about what the S can and cannot do despite no actual real world experience with the console seems incredibly pointless and just feels like unnecessary fuel for fanboys.

9 Likes

Could be just a matter of Devs that have actual kits vs Devs that don’t.

2 Likes

As expected really. The memory and memory bandwidth is just not there. Still, for games that utilise DR I expect the Series S to lock it at 1080p, so users will still get an improved experience all-round.

1 Like

Precisely.

The way to think of it is that the transition is: X1S–>XSS and X1X–>XSX.

So XSS plays X1S games with BC+ (added features for BC like higher fps and better texture filtering and faster load times and auto-HDR). Games using dynamic res will see their output at the ceiling of 1080p most likely. They won’t get 4k textures since the 1080p TV won’t resolve those for added detail anyhow. The stuff ppl are wanting (4k textures) are things they literally could not notice on the screen anyhow.

On XSX, you are playing the X1X version of the game in BC+ mode, complete with 4k textures, 4k render target for the 4k TV screen, and the same kinda stuff added for XSS (better texture filtering, load times, framerates, etc).

The question IS NOT ‘which gives me the optimal setup for games’; the question IS ‘what TV to I wanna game on and which console is designed for that’.

Note: For next gen games, devs will just make an XSX version at 4k and cut res to 1080p for the XSS version and use lower res textures.

BIG PICTURE: The end result in BOTH CASES (for next gen as well as BC) is you will be able to see no visual difference really at all between XSX running a game on a 1080p screen and XSS running the same game on a 1080p screen. The loss in details from XSX won’t be resolvable with only a quarter as many pixels. The XSS next gen games will look far beyond any current gen games graphically, just at 1080p.

What did the IW person say? And I know for sure some of the devs complaining don’t have dev kits nor experience working with XSX/XSS at all. So there’s that.

1 Like

It’s quite strange how they complain when they don’t have dev kits, and its always like clockwork.

Thank you .i appreciate your insight to help me better understand how it all works! :slight_smile: and while i was away, MS confirmed it as well:

“Xbox Series S was designed to be the most affordable next generation console and play next generation games at 1440P at 60fps. To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer’s original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR.”

This is the tweet and we have a thread about this now too here

https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL/status/1304444535930589185?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1304445126102724616|twgr^share_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2Ftwitter.min.html1304445126102724616

It is logical that it won’t have 4k enhancements that’s all. What people expect? It is a 1440p console with upscale.

They always try to twist every bit of info as negative so what about PS5 BC? Does it have auto hdr too? How games are enhanced? Let’s compare then

See “taste your own medicine”

Sorry, you’re shooting the messager. I just posted the confirmation by MS. :innocent:

It was expected, but some folks here were asking questions. Now we have an official statement. I was just proactive.

No it was not at all directed at you don’t worry. Apologies if you thought so. Was generally speaking