Xbox Series S OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED, $299, £249. 512 GB NVME SSD, 60% Smaller than XSX, 1440p up to 120 FPS, Ray-Tracing, All Digital and More

Just watch out at the double standard when Sony will reveal more about PS5.

5 Likes

That’s what All Access’s upgrade option is for. :wink:

Not when you’re back to an unemployed full time high school student. But again other than this rare outlier, XAA is awesome! If I wasn’t a credit score scrooge prepping for a mortgage refinance, I’d be all over it for him to also get him GPU! There’s a slim window I may be able to get him XAA, but I plan alternatives.

1 Like

I feel like “Game journalists” should maybe not be misinformed? Maybe do a bit of research before talking , i don’t think that is unreasonable.

9 Likes

You are right. Even the most wonderful and pro-consumer business strategy (Game Pass) is met with a lot of these “concerns”, that are nothing more than narratives trying to damage the brand. I remember a video from some gaming news outlet, Game Informer, I think, that was related to Xbox, it was about studio acquisitions, I think, and one of the three guys was all about “my concern, my concern, my concern” through the entirety of it.

3 Likes

“But, but but?”

tenor (5)

3 Likes

Thinking about it, maybe it’s not just about Xbox that these journalists are often wrong. I’m pretty sure if they had to talk about PS Now or what Nintendo is doing (no one understand what they’re doing, I know, and they are fine :slight_smile: ), it would be equally embarassing. I don’t know.

My point is, it’s probably that, things are moving fast these days and those machines are doing so many things at the same time, that those who grew with PS1 and N64 and still are analyzing gaming with that mind set and the nostalgia goggles can’t see clearly what happened to gaming in the last 7 years and is happening right now with Xcloud and Gamepass and crossplatform and Smart delivery and 120FPS. I bet many of them are wondering what is the point to all this stuff ?

So with Sony being more traditional in their approach, it is kind of comfortable and reassuring. SP is king for Sony. That is their strengh, no doubt about that. And it is the kind of games they always played, so it is not really a bias when it is in their DNA. Did you see any journalists talking about Minecraft or Roblox or League of Legends recently ? These are ones of the most popular games on the planet. They are old school journalists and I get that, but the risk is losing your audience.

I hope they will adapt fast, because if MS go toe to toe with Sony in the next-gen (which seems more and more likely by the day), it won’t be long until those sites are old news… For good this time.

Sorry if it is derailing the thread.

Imho I don’t think that is the cause at all in this era of technology and accessible information anywhere anytime especially when they do tons of articles a day and podcasts on gaming while being paid for years. They have no excuses at all.

They are just incompetent.

5 Likes

Personally I wouldn’t hang my banner on the idea that a console is a bad buy if the BC options aren’t as robust as the Series X and that third party games won’t run as well on it.

At least the S is $200 cheaper. If those are the main things that matter I’ve got bad news about the PS5.

The Series S isn’t about power it’s about making games as accessible as possible to as many people as possible. It’s pretty much the purest form of the “i go where the games are” argument that exists. Which just goes to show you how sincere so many of these console warriors were when the narrative switched from resolution and performance to software library in 2017.

2 Likes

And that’s what I said that the Series S is for people who just want to play games and the Series S offers just that at almost impulse buy territory.

1 Like

Incoming!

Not sure at all what to glean from that. Thoughts?

I originally answered this but I’m gonna hide it in a summary as it is off topic:

Summary

Keep in mind that there are different sorts of game developers. My friend & I took comp sci together and took similar courses. My math wasn’t good enough for computer graphics courses. So I was relegated to using Direct X in C++ while my friend got into that heavily and codes to the metal. I worked in Oil & Gas for a bit and come back and he’s coding for major game studios, while I’m getting into XNA at the time. It was a world of a difference then in how you’d rank our understanding of graphics hardware, and has gotten more significant since then.

Currently I’m using Unreal Engine and Unity and he is coding his own engine from scratch (he’s done it many times) for his latest game, for example.

All that said, I’m underselling myself in regards to how much I understand graphics hardware, but my point is that I know little compared to him, and the only reason why I know as much as I do is because I pick his brain a lot (he also mentors me in game development).

I am not saying that using an engine doesn’t make you a Game Dev, just want to be clear there. But I’m saying it’s possible to use these engines and become an incredible games developer and still not really know much about graphics hardware, APIs like DX, or how game engines work. This group of game developers may be in that situation and that explains why they don’t know much. A graphics programmer or games engine developer would know a lot more than most game developers.

Back to the Series S, it looks like Digital Foundary saw it back in March but kept their lips tight, which is commendable! It’s a shame that it was leaked, but at the same time, there seems to be multiple mistakes that led to it leaking. Hopefully lessons learned. Ultimately a positive reception.

2 Likes

Gotta say it makes Brad Sams look REALLY bad now knowing DF kept it hush hush for 6 months, lol. Dude couldn’t shut up for 6 days. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

New BF reveal or BF3 remake meanwhile BF6 teased

1 Like

I actually kinda liked BF3. Would like a remake of that with next gen visuals. BF3’s visuals blew my mind back in the day. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yep same it was the big thing back in the day. Heard BF6 would go back to modern combat like BF3/4. According to EA conf call, planned to release end 2021 full next gen.

1 Like

LOL

3 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

You’d think a gpu capable of ray tracing would have enough chops to BC one X enhancements …

I’m eager to hear/see more about the back compact situation.