XBOX needs to revive Scalebound

Rpg such a broad term that you can combine it with anything.

I mean, plenty of WRPGs are turn based too, InXile, Obsidian, Larian all made great turn based RPGs in their lifetimes.

I guess the difference is a bit more elusive, but yeah it would be a disservice to construe JRPG = turn based, WRPG = action or something like that. This is a really good video on the subject from Game Makerā€™s Toolkit.

I was about to say something like this. Assassinā€™s Creed was called an RPG (before they went hard with it in Odyssey) Horizon Zero Dawn is called an RPG. Hell I seen some people called GoW RPG

WRPG is more dialogue and story choice driven.

Terminology slides over time I guess.

Traditionally if someone said a game was a ā€˜JRPGā€™ it would mean turn-based combat. If someone said a game was a ā€˜WRPGā€™ it would be more about levelling up stats and while real time not really focused on skill in combat but becoming powerful enough. An Action RPG would be more based around skill in combat but have some skill levelling as well.

Ideas get shared about. Western games use turn based RPG mechanics, Japanese games go a more action RPG, the terms end up meaning less.

I stand by my point though that Scalebound appeared to me to be primarily an action game with some RPG elements than and RPG.

OP, I appreciate the breakdown since I only ever heard about Scalebound post-cancellation and didnā€™t know what it was about at all. I think itā€™s a promising set of ideas that doesnā€™t necessarily need to be ā€œrevivedā€ but can be incorporated into something different. Would you be all right with a spiritual ā€œsuccessorā€ (in quotes because it wouldnā€™t really be succeeding anything)?

I wonder how much of the hype is because of the involvement of PlatinumGames. It might be something that misses the mark for me, like why people like Souls games and Rockstar games; I always thought they were pretty overrated and only enjoyed a few of their games.

I do think we need more dragon games though, from both perspectives.

1 Like

OP, if the idea or imagery behind this game spoke to you, thatā€™s cool, more power to you.

Personally, I never thought it looked interesting, either as a concept or as a gameplay demonstration. One of those internet things where the reaction when it was an actual thing was ā€œEh, okay, weā€™ll seeā€ā€¦ then after the cancellation was announced it became ā€œScalebound is a lost masterpiece that would have redefined the industry!!!11ā€

I just never saw the appeal.

No!

no vote hereā€¦scalebound was not meant to be

This is the hard part. Iā€™m trying to be objective but Iā€™m probably biased because itā€™s so annoying how often people bring this game up.

1 Like

It would have to go through major and I mean MAJOR structural change. Game was way too ambitious for an Xbox One game.

Scalebound pretty much sums up MSā€™s console that generation.

1 Like

If we take another look at last generation, Xbox One generation was one of the worst era for any gaming company, the brand was a complete mess, not Scalebound, but all devs couldnā€™t achieve their dreams with all that mess. Thatā€™s why Spencer rebooted the brand in this gen, to be a better place for developers. So yes! Why not a chance for an ambitious Japanese project like Scalebound to appear on Xbox?

After your thread @Harlow Iā€™m sure now thatā€™s the concept is very promising even in these days and deserve a true next gen chance only on Xbox Series X.

I think people should let go of Scalebound, its never going to happen. Hell I was probably more excited than most having an new exclusive Kamiya game for xbox , sucked when it got canceled but I moved on.

If anything Iā€™d like to see MS and Platinum repair their relationship so we donā€™t miss out on their future games. Iā€™ll take that.

1 Like

Yeah they claimed W101 skipped Xbox because of ā€œengine issuesā€ but now theyā€™re also skipping Xbox with this basic pixel art shmup too. There really must be some damage there or something.

I sure hope Project G.G., their Kaiju game, doesnā€™t skip Xbox!

You knowā€¦ I wouldnā€™t be surprised if Eragon makes a comeback that we get a game similar to Scaleboundā€¦ā€¦

Its no different than kojima taking the game idea he pitched to google and possilbly use the best elements in a new scenario for xbox games. We didnt know much about scalebound. But the guy offered to mke scalebound on twityer for xbox. So who can say, Microsoft might not want to try that again.

I think youā€™re misunderstanding me.

The concept of an Eragon game was basically there. If Disney does end up doing a show/movie, they could easily cash in on games too. That IP could be massive again.

Doesnā€™t matter whoā€™s making it.

That ship has sailed. Let it go. Platinum is not even developing games for Xbox anymore lol (no idea if they are bitter still about this or is there something else)

Thereā€™s clearly some bitterness, I mean, MS is trying to do everything they can to improve Xbox japanese support, youā€™d think an independent studio like Platinum would jump on the train, at least on the ID@Xbox one if they are still skeptical about XGS publishing, but they clearly are not, all their current and future project wonā€™t release on Xbox anytime soon.