Xbox Marketing Talk |OT|

I’ve gotta ask… Those of you who want more traditional adverts on TV, do you really think people watch commmercials anymore? And more importantly, do you really think the Xbox target demographic watch them?

I’m an old fart, and I can’t remember the last time I watched an ad on TV. I haven’t regularly seen TV commercials since 2001, which is when I got my first DVR. And I can only imagine how few ads young people watch. I expect the number is in the negatives somehow. :yum:

I suppose there’s probably a fair amount of YouTube powered ad exposure. But even there I have to assume it’s fairly low, what with YouTube premium, or Pi-holes, or other ad avoidance methods like doing something else while the ad plays.

Point is, I feel like the Xbox advertising budget can be better spent elsewhere, like on sports sponsorships, product placements, or indeed buses and building wraps. Basically advertisement methods that makes it impossible to avoid the exposure. You can’t exactly NOT see the ad when it’s plastered across the jerseys of half the players in a game you’re watching.

4 Likes

I agree with a lot of that. but if they are to attempt to catch everyone. It’d be wise to advertise in all areas.

I agree with the sports sponsorship. PlayStation has sponsored the champions league for well over 20 years. They have the ps logo on advertising boards and tv adds at half time etc.

Xbox became a sponsor of the England football team last year and I didn’t see anything last night when they played with regards to Xbox.

They should definitely look at sponsoring a premier league team. It’s the most watched league in the world. Broadcast to Asia Europe America on a weekly basis you can’t avoid it there.

It’s all about perception the more they see the more it will feel like Xbox is a big deal even in market it’s not particularly strong.

With regards to tv adds especially for the series s you’re looking at getting the parents of kids that are aware their kid wants a console so they then have to decide which one. Put an add showing the value of a series s and it will make their mind up.

2 Likes

Is it though? Do you have any data about effectiveness of the different advertising areas that breaks down costs versus reach versus actual impact?

There’s no data to suggest it isn’t either

1 Like

I do tell a lie this is from earlier this year

4 Likes

I have no idea of the actual data, but if PlayStation and Nintendo thinks its a worthwhile investment and they are in fact selling a shitload more than Xbox here, there must be something to it?

I don’t know if old linear TV is the number one thing, but it’s certainly there. Big events still draw an audience.

Sponsoring things like Champion’s League is huge, even the small segments of the news or mini ads for an upcoming broadcast of a match you’ll see PlayStation plastered everywhere. Not to mention when actually watching.

Watching random clips on YT you get Nintendo or PlayStation ads. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten an Xbox ad randomly, and with all the algorithms out there you’d figure they know I’m into gaming lol.

Not to mention the push for games from PS, everywhere. All these things push brand awareness and makes them synonymous with consoles and video games.

4 Likes

The thing I think is peculiar is that I dont really watch much TV outside of football season (American Football), and I cant recall ever seeing Xbox ads during college or NFL games. You would think they would plaster ads all over what is by far the most watched sport in the USA.

3 Likes

There are promo’s and adds like this but this is from the official Xbox YouTube channel rather than the official England YouTube channel which is where you’d want it to catch more people

Very little to do with actual gaming just an attachment to the tag line power your dreams

1 Like

I agree with this, I’m sure previous England team sponsors like green flag and Vauxhall had an add as the last ad before it returned from the break. Basically saying England brought to you by or in association with……

Having said that I don’t think Xbox are the main sponsor that’s either BT or EE but they’ll still get eyes on it with being prominent game.

They should definitely pay for add time during the World Cup

The champions league has a short 20 second add at the end of every break

2 Likes

I think Grounded would have been the perfect game to market on TV ala Nintendo as a casual / E-rated game with an easy concept to understand (Nintendo are insanely good at this and clearly their marketing budget is huge, I’m regurlarly seeing their ads on the TV).

Sadly the marketing (like most Xbox Game Studios games) is non-existent to begin with (and I think this translates on the game’s performance, I feel the launch of Grounded has been kind of muted tbh). I have the impression they didn’t even bother sponsoring streamers. And the 2 biggest videogames coverages in France didn’t even review the game yesterday.

4 Likes

Yeah, it could bring a lot of children if they did some marketing push. But alas. I have been saying for some time that Microsoft should market games more so each and every dog would know about Xbox, Game Pass and its games.

As someone who worked in a couple of Ad agencies for more than 10 years, hearing folks opinions on what they should in regards to marketing, always makes me chuckle.

7 Likes

The internet has made many people think that they are experts at something.

Would love to hear your “expert” opinion

6 Likes

Eh? Considering how the governments, economy, companies, marketing is run sometimes across I am not sure if “internet experts” are worse than people that work on those positions.

Isn’t that what a forum is to discuss things. I’m sure go on any sports forum say football for example do people discuss tactics used and players selected

I’m not sure they’ll be many posters on there saying we can’t discuss this we aren’t qualified coaches and are just internet experts etc like you seem to be insinuating

There is a small difference between discussing a certain subject with good sense and spending all week discussing the same topic, I believe you should know that.

1 Like

Any topic can be discussed forever until the change is made that would pivot the discussion.

So trust your “talent” and send a resume to Microsoft.

I am pretty content with my current job. Maybe I will apply in the future (on another job)? :thinking: