Xbox Investment in Japanese Games

Same as you I love FF7 but I don’t have a ps4 anymore. My best friend proposed me to play it on his pro but was strong enough to refuse lol. Want to enjoy the console experience in all its glory on XSX with all bells and whistles.

I sure hope we get an upgraded version. If we get a true 4K version with hopefully some upgraded textures on things, that’d be wonderful. The game is amazing tho. I wasn’t sure I’d like the real-time combat cuz I MUCH prefer Turn-Based fighting in my RPGs, but it’s actually pretty good. You’re in for a treat. It was Nostalgia overload for me. lol

1 Like

I think it would go down a treat on xbox. The demo is longer and more fun than most other games.

Thanks, yeah I imagine the nostalgia overflowing wave coming in full force for me too and yes obviously we should get the best console version plus I remember Square Enix planning to add new content to part 1 soon since people loved it.

I saw a bit of gameplay imho it looks great and fun to play.

Phill should ask to Peter Moore for guidance and also get some tattoos

2 Likes

I just want my CAVE shooters back.

1 Like

We was spoilt so much on xbox 360, even if you didn’t have a japanese Xbox 360, you could enjoy so much like mushimesama futari, dodonpachi, akai katana, deathsmiles, espgaluda 2, guwange and more.

Screw pink sweets though, I hated that game, I enjoyed muchi muchi pork though.

1 Like

I haven’t played them all, some like Deathsmiles 2 were only in the USA aside from Japan, which was disappointing. But the later Dodonpachi and the original Deathsmiles are amazing. Brilliant art, soundtrack, perfect gameplay. Enjoyed Akai Katana too, even though it was more forgettable, and of course the very stylish Guwange. Even in the indies section of the 360 you’d find some surprisingly great bullet hell shooters. Just not a lot on Xbox One in comparison, and even most of the good 360 ones never really got BC. Contacted Rising Star Games about this a while back and they told me that CAVE going under basically put these games in license limbo, so it’s gonna be tough to see them become backwards compatible. For shame.

1 Like

Thankfully due to backwards compat you can now enjoy raiden 4 and bullet soul infinite burst (even if you’re outside the USA or Japan) you can now use Xbox credit for purchases for 360 games. (I’ve got 1000gs on both the USA and Japanese version) XD

Bullet soul infinite is one of my fave stgs ever, I know a lot of people are dubious of 5pb after there porting of ketsui though, but for $15 it’s worth a blast :smiley:

It you have a 360 still, I highly suggest importing mushihimesama futari 1.5 and espgaluda 2 I honestly think they are probably the best two games and they are region free.

& Cave have gone under? They no longer exist? :frowning:

1 Like

I’ll definitely find ways to get some of the games I missed. And yeah, AFAIK, Cave is basically a non-entity at this point. They still juggle some mobile ports with a skeleton unit from what I’m told, but that’s it. Don’t expect them to create new console ports.

1 Like

That’s really depressing, hell if they ever decided to release everything on xbox even digitally I’d throw them some money.

Even if they were just untouched 360 ports, I would be interested, if at an attractive price point.

Microsoft should swoop in and get the games on game pass, bring a new audience to the genre.

1 Like

I think people are really overthinking what MS needs to do in Japan in terms of splashing cash and signing exclusives when it’s a lot simpler. A significant amount of the reason Xbone didn’t get support was poor dev tools for Japan and a year long delay in the console launching. With the extremely poor sales in Japan. Not a lot of publishers wanted to hop on board even though developers were way happier MS improved dev tools during the genration, and especially with the One X making developing for the base console significantly easier.

Coming into the next generation, The biggest factor for Japanese publishers and developers for support won’t be Series X/Series S, it will be Xcloud and Game Pass because the vast majority of gamers in Japan are on mobile. Japan has one of the best mobile networks in the world on top of that. If MS has the development environment right then their business case is significantly strengthened. Especially as the big “Gotcha” is that to have a game on Xcloud, you need to develop it as an Xbox one or Series X version. So developers will be supporting the console when developing for Xcloud. And it is attracting publishers in. For Square Enix, having a fully featured, uncompromised version of Dragon Quest available to mobile customers is something they are interested in and it works with Microsoft’s vision. For Microsoft getting a hugely conservative, massive in Japan IP like Dragon Quest on Xbox is a big deal and shows confidence in the service. So both companies have business reasons and Square’s decision shows confidence to other publishers who might go in with smaller IP to be on Xcloud.

It’s not going to happen overnight. But MS are finally providing a good business case to Japanese publishers and developers and that’s their big investment. Hopefully they might invest in some of the developers there to make some exclusives for Gamepass to add even more value. But the overall goal for them is getting the support and building Xcloud in the region to convince publishers in that region the ecosystem is worth investing in rather than pulling exclusives.

3 Likes

Personally it has become quite evident that in order for MS to succeed in Japan, the only chance they have is to make some exclusive game with 3rd party developers. Let’s see what happens with a clearly superior console like Xbox Series X :wink:

1 Like

The 360 was kind of a secret success in Japan. Over 1 million consoles sold in Japan is really impressive all things considered. Especially compared to Xbox One and the OG Xbox. However as that gen progressed on it seemed a lot of those consoles started collecting dust as the PS3 was the obvious choice if you’re a Japanese gamer.

Do you expect FF7 Remake to launch in 2021?

For Xbox One/Series X? Yes. Episode 1 that is. I doubt Episode 2 is coming anytime soon.

Yes, that was my question.

Game is currently beautiful on PS4, so it has to look nuts on XSX.

I’d like to see some first party investment in Japanese titles, similar to what they did with Mistwalker during the 360 era. It will be interesting to see if Microsoft try this again.

But really, justh having the big titles day and date with Sony and Nintendo is what I want to see, FF7R being timed exclusive, the original Kingdom Hearts being exclusive kinda sucks. And the rumours of FF16 being timed exclusve to PlayStation really suck even more so hopefully we can see MS push to ensure Xbox owners get these games at the same time as everyone else.

Great topic! Let me first say that Xbox has really improved with the support from Japanese games over the last few years. There was a time where CAPCOM games, Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III seemed to be all we were getting.

Phil has made numerous trips to Japan and he has rebuilt trust with the leadership from large publishers over there. But I firmly believe Game Pass is as important to the newer trends of ports we’re seeing. Think about it: Yakuza Zero, Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Valkyria Chronicles (PC), Disgaea 4 (PC), Dragon Quest XI all launch into Game Pass straight away. This is an important strategy and I’d be curious if player numbers have risen since on Xbox and if some people in Japan have since tried out the Game Pass service. It’s a bit of a bummer xCloud isn’t launching in Japan this September, I think this would be a really fascinating thing to observe with the large support of Japanese games there, given that the service also has multiple Final Fantasy titles, Devil May Cry 5 or the Kingdom Hearts games.

Now onto the future. Phil has said he would like a Japanese studio, and there are a few independent opportunities here, I specifically think about JP Games, Tabata’s studio, or Cygames. But they did not show up in a list of supported developers/publishers earlier this year. I think it’s a pity Microsoft never fostered that relationship with Mistwalker further, it would have been a tremendous opportunity. But Sakaguchi isn’t that young anymore either. So if this isn’t a realistic option, I’d love to see them license their Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon IP to a new studio as an individual project. Both are beloved among gamers to this day, and I think this would send the right signal. Do I believe this will happen? Not really :confused:

Realistically, I don’t think we should expect a ton of other third party exclusive games from Japan. Continuing to get more and more games the same days as PlayStation should be a priority (like with the new NieR and Yakuza). Securing more franchises like Persona as well. And lastly, continue to focus on Game Pass and xCloud as incentives for the Xbox platform. If the console version doesn’t cut it, go for PC support like with Disgaea 4, as most Japanese developers now have simultaneous PC releases.

Weird that it appeared in the Amazon leak, but then just never released