Xbox has been the "market leader in North America for 3 quarters in a row amongst next gen consoles" says Satya Nadella

1 Like

No way its 20 and that would be an unrealistic prediction anyway. Just by doing the numbers and how many they’ve shipped its still behind PS5 simply due to how many consoles sony are making compared to MS

Also factor in European market. For Xbox to be around 20m you’re saying its ahead of PS5 in Europe which would be completely false. Even ignoring vgcharts, the hardware sales in Europe has Series doing way better than Xbox One but not at the level of a PS5. Which is still fine

Xbox being 4-5 Million behind PS5 at this stage is an achievement in itself for MS…for a system that hasn’t had stream of AAA console exclusives and every major game being on PC day 1 as well. Xbox is doing incredible numbers regardless.

We do know the NA market is tight and MS would if it hasn’t already surpassed PS5. Everywhere else its not going to outsell PS5. But its doing considerably better.

2 Likes

We have actual data from various regions. Enough to have an estimate. Famitsu, UK charts french/german charts and using the data that if Sony sells x amount xbox has probably sold y amount.

Now whether Xbox has sold 15m units or 14 or 16…that’s harder to gauge. But there’s a difference between saying its sold 20m and 15.

Sort of, but we don’t have any actual sales numbers from Microsoft directly including preorders or any sold since then to name but one limitation.

3 Likes

Here’s the issue

We don’t know how many Microsoft are shipping or selling. They won’t tell us

4 Likes

Exactly. And considering how significantly their supply issues appear to have improved (it’s still in stock at Amazon.ca, 28 days since the first report) I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see Microsoft doing significantly better than most people think.

1 Like

Basically as soon as Microsoft finished updating their data centers with Series X hardware they started outselling Playstation.

1 Like

If the situation were reversed and it was PlayStation that sacrificed consoles to build out its cloud, then I guarantee PlayStation would be counting those as “sold”. PlayStation would just include those servers in its console sales total.

This is just a hypothetical though because we all know PlayStation will never sacrifice consoles for a cloud so basically there will never be a PS5 cloud.

2 Likes

MS’s software backwards compatibility guarantees that every time they go through a server upgrade at the start of a generation, everything they’ve built still works while new content keeps getting added. This is something they’ve worked at for a long time and a problem for Sony until they figure it out as well. The moment MS unlocks 4k HDR streaming honestly they’ll be in the best position imo of all cloud streaming platforms.

MS is building for the future in terms of cloud while Sony seems mostly focused on the present and I think it’ll pay dividends for MS when the shift to cloud happens.

1 Like

Sony already did that with the PS3.

1 Like

I consider the consoles to be tied. This is my reasoning…

Also I wouldn’t be too concerned about Xbox consoles being overstocked because every big game release (Saints Row, MultiVersus) will just empty shelves again. Come Christmas there will be empty shelves.

Imagine when those PS3s will start failing how much it will cost to replace them. Manufacturing old components in low quantities must not be very cost effective. Hopefully they’re working on a solution to that problem.

1 Like

not again with this unsourced fan fiction about millions of Xbox chips in server racks :roll_eyes:

Are these still your positions?

I’m not sure anyone knows exactly how many are in racks, but I very much guarantee there’s at least an order of magnitude more than you’re suggesting at this point. We know a decent chunk of silicon from last year was dedicated for the server upgrades we also know occurred.

You state that there doesn’t need to be physical hardware or “millions of Xbox chips in racks”, but we know (directly from Xbox Engineers’ mouths) that four sessions of Xbox One titles are able to be run from one blade, but Series titles are a 1:1 relationship of one player per one blade. We also know exactly what silicon is on each blade (which is now the Series X APU) because we’ve seen them.

So I’m confused as to what specifically you’re implying is fan fiction?

5 Likes

Of course this is still my position. Nothing has changed. Nobody who mentions these fantastical numbers has produced sources :woman_shrugging:

Fan fiction is millions of xbox chips in data centers. Thats not how it works and nobody has produced any source whatsoever for their fiction. I have, on the other hand, given some examples and sources how this all works :woman_shrugging:

The fact that the cloud exists and is playable isn’t proof enough?

1 Like

How is this proof for you assumption that millions of xCloud servers makes up the gap of around 5 million sales to PS5?

How??

1 million Fortnite players on xCloud (not concurrent) led to waiting queues. How is this possible with millions of servers?

Where’s your source that this gap is supposedly five million units?

Every statement I’ve made can be backed by articles and statements from Xbox; where’s your evidence to refute those statements, specifically the 1:1 ratio for Series games running on xCloud? I never said there were five million Series APUs in data centers but given what we know about xCloud usage, there’s proof that there’s likely at least a million there (and given what we know about reduced consumer shipments of Series silicon last year that just so happened to coincide with the Series upgrades to xCloud racks, it seems pretty safe to make that claim).

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/Welfare_JBP has pretty good and well thought out estimates.

1 Like