Xbox Game Studios |OT9| How many games would a game studio make if a game studio could make games?

Yes Contraband will have Sea of Thieves Inspiration I think that basically we will have to be coordinated with several people to operate vehicles and organize the transport of goods that we will have to validate and during the journey there will be chases with the AI (maybe -be other players) and we can lose everything I think that’s the basis of the concept of Contraband

1 Like

Not a fan of that. I was hopeing something more single player but it is what it is

At this point its just people’s thoughts

1 Like

Contraband will have a solo adventure

2 Likes

Contraband was always known to be a co-op game but Jez and a developer interview said they’d have campaign SP component as well.

If it’s a SoT-like design it’s hard to think how they could implement SP but that is just @Harlow 's predictions and thoughts, I personally didn’t see that or anyone else think that but just based on the concept (piracy – smuggling) it does make sense on paper. However, Contraband is a project long in conception at Avalanche and seems to have started development in 2017, it’s almost impossible to have been inspired by SoT already, I think it will be their own unique idea.

2 Likes

And don’t you think that goes against SoT’s design? Or you think they will make separate solo component? Something like GTA maybe :thinking:

Anyway, nothing concrete, just cool to speculate

Maybe something like GTA heists - a set of campaign missions with AI bots - where you start as a small gas station robber and later have to complete the huge final heist with cops and gangs involved.

But the main thing is gonna be online co-op 100%. GTA Online is extremely popular.

I don’t really expect a sandbox heist game where you and a team could plan your own heist (as cool as that could be), but more executing ones driven by the story/campaign.

Why? You think it’s hard to execute that technically or something?

1 Like

I think so, and I feel like to do something like that properly there’d need to be a reasonable way to do recon/gather intel. As well as stealth components. I’m thinking like co-op Hitman with vehicles? Haha

I think it’d be awesome (maybe GTA already does stuff like this?) but seems pretty complex to me, both to make and to play.

But if it’s the bread and butter of the game they focus on it could be achieved and executed decently.

2 Likes

I just want to drive around with friends while sticking outside the windows of a beaten up sedan after our heist shooting at people coming after us and screaming at the driver to go faster.

1 Like

Also interested in seeing how vehicle focused it is. You’d think the vehicle is mainly the getaway for a heist. Is it just gonna be forcing your way in and then a chase on the way out?

Was thinking maybe Cyberpunk style recon would work, but hacking and drones aren’t an option with the setting.

2 Likes

Jez said it was really focused on vehicle combat and not just straight shooting people so I’d assume vehicles are going to be super important and will be a “character” you level up and have all sorts of upgrades and such. So it’s probably going to be a thing like

1. Plan heist
  2. Prep for heist
  3. Drive to the place and try steal the stuff, maybe killing other teams and AI units to steal the stuff
  4. Survive brining it back to your base

and so on.

1 Like

Maybe I just need to watch a Fast and the Furious movie lol

Hmmm

Yes it’s only my thought but the trailer makes me think that there is like a cache to improve with the money that we will earn I think of something like the movies Ocean’s Twelve where you have to infiltrate, steal objects, transport them in crates (I remember Rare had a concept in Sea of Thieves where you had to take a chest at 2, the Contraband crate seems too big to me to be carried by one person)

We also see other crates underneath, I think these kind of crates will be physical loadable items like Sea of Thieves chests.

This reminds me a little of the treasure maps of Sea of Thieves maybe we will have to rely on the drawings to locate the place.

Here we have 4 player co-op like Sea of Thieves

Again look how big the crates are with cuffs on the side…it shows they need to be worn at 2.

Then as it is a service game I imagine that there will be events with Rare objects which are worth a lot of value and its only linked to an event in time.

I also noticed crates with bottles maybe it’s like in Sea of Thieves and the bottles are fragile so you will have to be careful not to break them

I think the trailer reveals a lot but it seems very inspired by Sea of Thieves in the journeys with probably lots of random events, the weather that impacts the gameplay we see that the mud slows down the vehicles, then I imagine chases with the police that we will have to sow a bit like the Driver game for those who have played it

Contraband is one of my most watched games

I appreciate your enthusiasm and analysis about that stuff even if it doesn’t turn out true.

I know you don’t mean it in a bad way, but saying anything is like Sea of Thieves is asking for trouble :stuck_out_tongue: