Xbox Game Studios |OT9| How many games would a game studio make if a game studio could make games?

So, you think switching to UE5 is going to fix the content issue (that people are criticizing for) in the short term? Even if they did make the switch to another engine, say goodbye to having a new Halo game for this generation.

Also, if they wanted to make the switch, then why worry about fixing all these issues? Why not just release whatever content is ready and just move on to the next project?

6 Likes

Can some of you really just try out Unity or Unreal for yourself at least for a week?

Please. Stop this uninformed hot takes and just educate yourself first.

5 Likes

This could just be a spin off, which if successful then this engine could be the groundwork for the next game who knows. Hopefully we get some concrete details soon.

me when there’s more annoying Halo discourse

6 Likes

Loom?! That’s amazingly unexpected. I’m not a Prime Gaming subscriber, but I find including Loom as a free game to be kind of delightful.

edit: Just noticed which thread this was posted in. I assumed I was in the Community one, but since this is the Xbox Studios one I guess the point I’m supposed to focus on is Fallout 76.

So… Good? I’m guessing Amazon must’ve paid Bethesda some coin for that, or maybe they’re giving it for free to boost their subscription base. :man_shrugging: Either way, I imagine it’s good for Bethesda.

But come on… Loom!

Yes, thank you it is just unrealistic to expect an engine switch. It would take them years just to catch up to where they are with Halo Infinite. The real reason Halo has a content problem is because 343i is asked to do so much. What other dev has to do as much as a Halo dev:

• A campaign just as important as the Multi-player
  • Local Co-Op
  • Forge
  • Theater
  • Multi-Player
  • Custom Games
  • Player Customization
  • Esports Experience

We have seen the backlash Halo devs get if even one small feature of the Halo experience is missing or not up to par or not available on release.

Games with similar expectations have larger devs teams or multiple teams working on the title. Halo just needs more devs. I think having another studio work with 343i on Halo on a permanent basis would go a long way towards fixing the problems with Halo.

It would take years to get that ready for Unreal Engine and they would still need to make all the content for a live service experience which they are clearly after. They would be in the same spot now just years later.

8 Likes

I never said that they were switching, just that if they’re looking into it, there must be reasons why and if they feel it’s better for the future of the game, then they should switch engines.

Content wise, I do believe that UE 5 would be far better than SlipSpace for one simple reason - those who worked on UE 4 would already know a lot about UE 5 when being hired where as if you’re hiring people who are contractors for SlipSpace, by the time they learn the damn thing, their contract probably expires so what are you accomplishing?

If UE 5 can make things easier and better for the game and those working on it, I don’t see why they wouldn’t switch? Why hang on to something if it’s not working out for the game?

1 Like
14 Likes

I’m not a podcast watcher, but it’s live now. I’ll go check it out afterwards and skip to the parts I want to know. But what’s this about Deadpool and Wolverine?

Just speculation as usual.

10 Likes

Not based on any rumors from good sources?

I think 343i will probably just copy&paste the Slipspace engine and Forge tools into UE5…

Not that I have seen.

This game looks amazing it smells of the RTS revolution and an entry to attract a new audience to this genre. The game seems more complete than I imagined and there is still a lot to discover

4 Likes

There’s been a few rumours floating around that Disney have stipulated that the new Wolverine game might be Multi-platform (like MLB did with The Show), the likelihood however is unknown.

It’s the exact question I have already submitted for tomorrow’s podcast.

I think part of it was caused by this tweet:

1 Like

I very much doubt that

5 Likes

Yeah It’s v. v. unlikely but stranger things have happened. It’s technically possible and as Spider-Man was one of their better sellers they may have agreed to Disney’s terms.

I never thought I’d see Sony IP’s on GamePass but we’ve now had MLB The Show & Death Stranding.

1 Like

Possible maybe but I dont think anyone should have any hopes for it

We’ve already seen they have zero issue with Spiderman being exclusive and that’s a much bigger IP than Wolverine

3 Likes

Rather than that I guess there will be some promotion.

But if it is really true than ABK deal brought even more seismic changes than expected.

Spider man deal has legs in PS4 era though. And it is very different situation due to partial ownership. It has always been an assumption that Sony uses SP as leverage against Disney though.

1 Like