Xbox Game Studios |OT9| How many games would a game studio make if a game studio could make games?

SeanW was taken out of context by a shit stirring or lazy or confused redditor.

He said internal 343 speculation is Bonnie Ross is MS’s choice to head up ABK. He also thought the news said that Kotick was staying on as a board member. I think he was mixing that up with reports Kotick would be staying as CEO until the completion of the acquisition (which is legally required stuff).

1 Like

Bonnie to head up ABK? What does that mean? She’ll be in charge of them?

There’s a rumour in 343i she’s Kotick’s replacement

Would be kinda bad for optics considering the reason of her retirement from 343.

Definitely something I didn’t expect. After Halo I expected she’d probably opt for a less “heavy” position I guess. I saw many YouTubers blaming the Halo issues on her, and rejoicing now that there’s other people in charge there. We don’t have all the information, but I bet we’re gonna see more rage if this turns out to be true, lol.

If it’s a wise decision to have her lead them…no idea. Also, going from only leading 343 to all of ABK? That is a huge difference.

Bad for optics because she left due to family matters?

5 Likes

It was mere speculation. Plus she retired.

Retired completely?

Sounds like a bunch of clout chasing made up gossip to me.

9 Likes

Yup, leaving Microsoft as per this article:

Halo lead Bonnie Ross is leaving 343 Industries and Xbox | Windows Central

1 Like

Damn, well then we don’t even have to pay any mind to rumors. Unless she decided against leaving, but doubt that a little.

SeanW rumors lol.

1 Like

Colt.

Would love to see Halo Infinite get moved to Unreal Engine 5 and with the campaign expansion, maybe it could be current generation only.

1 Like

They don’t have to switch engine to be current generation only.

6 Likes

Yeah… let’s just throw out all that progress made on the engine and all the effort the developers have spent optimizing it the last two years to switch to an engine that isn’t even feature-complete yet either on an… checks notes… already-launched title. Switching engines would literally require as much work as building a new game, and some of the inadequacies that existed in UE4 (when they initially tested and decided against it) still exist in UE5…

15 Likes

If 343 is looking into switching to UE5 then let’s be honest, there obviously isn’t any progress being made which is pretty apparent by the lack of content for the last 9 months. If their engine isn’t doing what they need/want it to do and UE5 can accomplish what they want, then switching sooner rather than later would be the better move.

Not only that but if they’re really having issues with Slipspace, then instead of clinging to the damn thing, it’s always better to cut the losses and move on especially if what they’re moving on to would be better for them in regards to the game itself and being able to get content to players sooner rather than later.

Unless 343 intends to just support Halo Infinite to the best of their abilities with a skeleton crew, while the rest of the studio along with certain affinity basically make a new Halo game, while ditching the whole “Halo Infinite is the game for the next decade” I don’t see at least 343 switching to Unreal Engine.

Tatanka being on Unreal Engine is I think largely dependent on how the project is being approached. Is it being approached as an additive experience to Halo Infinite and as a result is it part of the overall Halo Infinite suite of offerings, or is it basically a psudo spin-off title (a la minecraft legends) with a separate battle pass and in-game economy from Infinite.

I think if the latter scenario is what happens then switching engines is in theory feasible. If it’s the former it’s unlikely. As for future single player titles running on UE, the only way I think that’s possible, is if instead of mainline Halo campaigns being part of Halo Infinite, they become their own unique single player only titles, in which case it is possible.

Basically the whole engine discussion is really dependent on how much 343 wants to work outside of the Halo Infinite frame-work. they’ve said before (Bonnie specifically) that after Infinite they’re interested in exploring new genres with Halo, but that’s always read to me as making games that aren’t traditionally in the mold of the 1st person shooter halo titles, while new traditional FPS titles would tie back into Infinite.

1 Like

They’re not switching to UE5… Staten and crew wouldn’t have come out and basically said all hands are on deck to fix issues like desync. There’s so much wrong with your logic; you don’t “fix” issues by switching pipelines that have the potential to introduce new ones, and as I said you’re implying that they’re willing to effectively take everyone off optimizations and new content (the thing the game has rightfully been criticized for) to build an entirely new game…

That logic makes absolutely no sense. Furthermore, Forge is wholly built around the capabilities of Slipspace and arguably only possible on Slipspace (find me another in-engine consumer-facing dev tool that does the same). Not happening for Infinite.

10 Likes