Xbox Game Studios |OT9| How many games would a game studio make if a game studio could make games?

Any word on games with gold games for October yet ?

I expect this should be a good month, now they are dropping 360 games.

1 Like

I’d argue that a big problem with the call of duty cycle, it’s development pipeline and the sheer scale, of what is being targeted, is not sustainable, full stop. I still remember when the PS4/XB1 gen started and Activision had to move to a 3 year dev cycle which was a change from what was previously the 2 year dev cycle for cod during the PS3/360 days.

For the longest time that machine felt very well oiled until Black Ops 4, when it became apparent things were starting to break at the seams over at Treyarch and I feel Vanguard is another case of that.

Ignoring the fact that Cod MW2 is about to have a 2 year cycle, we have seen in the past how Cod titles out-live their life-span, biggest example of that was Black Ops 3, which lasted well into the life cycle of Infinite Warfare, and even a bit into WW2.

Honestly I’m more interested if the future of Call of Duty might be akin to Halo infinite where the core multiplayer is something that all major dev teams contribute to over the years, and then you get annual or bi-annual campaign content paired with frequent warzone updates.

2 Likes

I can understand why folks want COD to move away from a yearly cycle. The many studios that work on the games are very talented, there’s a lot of IP they could be making games for and there’s a ridiculous amount of people and studios needed to get the games out on a yearly basis. The decision makers at xbox/Microsoft will have to try and find out which would be more beneficial for gamepass, a yearly COD on the service or a COD game every two years and then filling the gap with the games produced by the freed up studios. Will be a difficult choice to make

I think we all need to let it go now. He’s clearly come around.

1 Like

May today be the day where your expectations are met.

Personally i don’t think the OG or 360 games were stopping Xbox from bundling big budget games in GwG.

Why spend to get big GWG games for very minimal return when you can pay that money towards Game Pass titles?

2 Likes

Yeah, exactly. Microsoft has the data (and lots of it) how specifc titles in GwG effect the subscriber numbers. I don’t think big (or any) titles move the needle much.

Watch until the end

2 Likes

Truly the GTAV of RPGs. Bethesda should remake Skyrim with the Creation Engine 2 for the 20th anniversary in 2031 so we can reset the clock.

3 Likes
1 Like

About what I expect

Halo news = bad news

Hope im wrong this time tho

So I have been thinking and I think with this Activision Acquisition MS can give Halo what it needs to succeed & return to its former glory.

The problem with 343i isn’t that they are incompetent, but they are overworked. They are too small to handle all of Halo. Look how many teams work on CoD. Halo doesn’t have nearly as much devs but is expected to deliver so much:

• Campaign with split-screen
  • Forge
  • Multi-Player
  • Theatre Mode
  • Fire Fight
  • SlipSpace engine development
  • etc.

That is way too much for one studio. They need help badly. Also, though if you take too many teams off CoD, they might run into similar problems as Halo. Basically, not enough devs to do everything that is expected from CoD.

I think MS can give CoD devs more time to up quality and revive Halo at the same time. Move SledgeHammer games from CoD to Halo and give each dev a 4 year dev cycle to make a campaign and new MP experience or refreshed one.

So the setup would look like this:

• Year 1 → Infinity Ward - CoD Modern Warfare
  • Year 2 → 343i - Halo traditional
  • Year 3 → Treyarch - CoD Black Ops
  • Year 4 → SledgeHammer - Halo ODST

Extra Devs:

• Raven Software - CoD Battle Royale
  • Certain Affinity - Halo Battle Royale

So, an FPS every yr but switched between Halo/CoD. In the off years for CoD/Halo they can release DLC for the CoD/Halo die hards. This would drastically accelerate the content for Halo, and I think do wonders for the franchise. Also, a Halo: ODST series would give Halo fans a fresh experience while retaining the classic Halo experience under 343i.

7 Likes

From what I can understand from comments, he called someone out for bad info, deleted the comments, and is presumably going to reach out to his own sources to get updates. Don’t think if anything good or bad.

Didn’t see it, but probably the stuff about HALO endless being a new game on a new engine and coming in 2025.

3 Likes

I’m perplexed at this notion that MS bought Activision to weaken the COD grip that it has on the industry.

Will they take some studios off of the IP ? Sure, will they remove 50% of its work force ? Hell no lol.

5 Likes

Yeah, COD is too big of an entity to slow it down tbh. For example on social media you had celebrities talking about COD beta. I think the brand is too strong to pull away, but I could see them going biennial approach, which could free up some of the studios.

4 Likes

Microsoft will 100% not allow for COD to proceed the way it was. It is not sustainable and it will become bi-ennial or maybe even less. The value of COD IP will bring a lot of people to Game Pass but it does not mean that they should continue to release COD that often or throw 7+ studios on it.

3 Likes

Yeah, why would you go through all this trouble and money to get Call of Duty to then nerf the franchise?

The CoD factories will continue.

They will. But I think it will be gradually as they hire more people to take over for the studios that are currently working on CoD.

Up from 6 in 2020

5 Likes