Xbox Game Studios |OT9| How many games would a game studio make if a game studio could make games?

I have landed in a mix of 4 and 5. I accept that things are the way they are and why, but I have lost most of my hype for things which is depressing af. Hopefully the Showcase next month revitalize some of it, but I’m pretty much just tired of waiting ad nauseum. The discussions, speculations, rumours, acquisitions etc, I’m just done with for now. Which is depressing since I really enjoyed it and have been riding some sort of hype train since 2018.

It’s ok though, I’m focusing more on just playing games. Thankfully I have a huge backlog so that’s going well :wink:

2 Likes

So what was Sony’s year 2021?

Only one game (was released ratchet and rift apart by Sony first party that year)

Partners studios saved Sony that year… Xbox should do something similar and bring note worthy stuff to gamepass

2 Likes
7 Likes

Returnal is a first party game, because it was published by them. But yeah, 2 games by June? It’s not exactly brilliant even though Covid was the issue.

The disrespect to Bethesda :awkward:

I meant Sony first party studio… Studio they owned at the launch of a game

They didn’t own Housem studio at the launch

Publishing partnered studios is still considered 1st party and in the stuff that “counts”. Believe me would be great if XGS Publishing has something good for this year

1 Like

I know. But publishing is also a first party studio, heck Xbox always includes it in their total number. These companies at the end of the day fund and provide support for the games. It’s not the same as money hatting a game.

1 Like

Won’t argue on what is first party or not

I wanted to put light on how well either Sony or Xbox could manage there owned studios to produce games on regular basis

And truth is both have good years and bad years… One year doesn’t represent incompetence for anyone… Covid situation f*** everyone

1 Like

Yep and an easy truth is that delaying is the opposite of incompetence. Prioritizing quality over growth and momentum, there’s probably no better indication of commitment and COMPETENCE. We have incredible records of evidence of publisher incompetence by releasing games broken and unfinished for better short-term fiscal reports at the expense of game quality. MS was guilty of that themselves sometimes. No more.

I don’t know about Horizon and GT being the "talk of the town ". One could be forgiven if they forgot they were released after Elden Ring dropped and its still going strong even now. Out of all these AAA games, Elden Ring felt truly "ambitious " with its open world design, which is why i think it resonated more with gamers than what basically was an Ubisoft game with different branding.

Also for all the demand of PS5, xbox still seems to be on the uptick sales wise even now with no major releases. Id say both are doing fine.

Aside from that though i don’t know what to tell you. This big AAA games with their so called "ambition " take time to complete and that is without a global pandemic throwing a wrench into everything. Last i checked HFW was slated for last year, but got delayed just like this year Starfield is getting delayed. These things happen.

Would you have them rush their games out to meet some need for a "big game " only for it to not meet expectations, and then we hear about how they should have just delayed it ? Either you want quality or you don’t.

Frankly xbox and PS exclusives aren’t the only games that will be released in the coming months. Plenty of 3rd party games big and small coming out to be played.

3 Likes

Talk of the town?

I havn’t seen a game drop off the face of the earth faster than H:FW, game has been straight up forgotten since ER launched and the most people were talking about GT was it’s online only issues

8 Likes

On some other forums the only talk I see about H:FW is the weekly Bug Patch release notes. It feels like its some sort of paid sponsorship as a feeble attempt to keep the game topic relevant.

I reckon a couple more months of that and it might be in shape for the inevitable PC Release.

7 Likes

I was genuinely surprised at how quick it dropped off in discussion

Zero Dawn seemed to stick around for much much longer and the fact that Sony dont seem to want to give any sales speak about it like they love to do would suggest its doing nowhere near as well sales wise either

It’s strange to me that folks here feel compelled to post all these potshots at Xbox. It’s okay if the rest of us don’t know about them.

4 Likes

Grubb and the other guy talking about how the next Fallout would be in the 2030s if they leave it all to BGS. They think it’s obviously not going to happen and that if there’s a possibility for Obsidian to make a spiritual successor to New Vegas, they will. Man I hope so, I already miss Fallout games, proper ones with actual VATS. Letting that franchise lie dormant until somewhere in the 2030s would not be good.

Grubb says he thinks MS will have a lot of gameplay for games that already have been announced, for like Avowed, maybe even Perfect Dark. They have to pull out all the stops. But it does seem he’s not basing this on what he’s heard from sources.

Also speculates that these games (Redfall, Starfield) are probably gonna come out in the first quarter, before the end of the fiscal year for MS. Says it’s not like we’ll be waiting a whole year for at least one of these games. It seems he’s a bit doubtful about both releasing in the first half.

Yeah, we’ll see.

Some may not like this statement, but I feel Microsoft should lean into remaking older entry Bethesda titles

1 Like

Full blown remakes? I don’t see that happening. First two TES games will literally require new games and Morrowind will require a full blown remake. Not worth it.

I can see remaster (better resolution etc.) at best. Maybe remake of FO1/FO2 is possible though considering that there cRPG

1 Like

2 Likes

There’s no ethics or professionalism anymore, the only thing that matter to them are clicks and traffic.