Xbox Game Studios |OT8| Leaving The Drought Behind And Heading For Starfield

I’ve seen the articles on the chunk of devs at The Initiative, leaving.

But why have they unfollowed everyone they were following, except Crystal Dynamics?

It’s definitely the real Twitter account for The Initiative. Sarah Bond and Aaron Greenberg are just two of the verified accounts that are listed in their followers list.

https://twitter.com/TheInitiative

I could be wrong, but I don’t think they ever followed anyone until the Crystal deal was announced and they followed Crystal. That TI account is hardly the most active.

1 Like

They already did, make Xbox exclusive games that is, Otogi and I believe Ninja Blade were both exclusive.

The account isn’t really active, yeah.

But I swear I remember it being more than one account that they follow? :thinking:

I don’t know for sure, but when I’ve looked at the account in the past, I don’t remember them following anyone. Could be wrong, though. Either way, I don’t think it means much until the account becomes more active (when they start promoting the game more, I imagine).

1 Like

Yeah you’re right. We should wait and see.

No.

3 Likes

They weren’t following anyone else but 1 who were probs CD on Oct 27th '21

2 Likes

Please, digging into Twitter followers is many levels below even following LinkedIn movements. This will only leed to suffering.

2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

Suggested? I get it, since they are no longer there, they do not know for certain. But the problem is that we are in speculation territory now, but it is being presented as almost fact.

I think Andy Robinson needs to send out feelers to CD, if he wants to find out more about the situation of the game in this case, and not just focus on TI.

6 Likes

Some of us have far too high an opinion of themselves and either don’t realize how obnoxious that comes off, or just don’t care

8 Likes

Quick take on The Initiative issue with a day to listen to hot takes (and some not-so-hot takes).

• Some of the best games of all time went through “development hell”. God of War 2018, Halo CE, Halo 2, Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect, Dragon Age to name a few. We also had games like Anthem and Cyberpunk point to development hell as the reason for their failures to meet expectations. What’s the difference? The later had foundations of good to great games but launched under-cooked. Perfect Dark, for all the negative things pointed out in the article, is being given the time it needs to develop properly.

• The Initiative was an attempt to do something different in terms of building a studio. AAA game development is hard. Building studios is harder. Doing it different adds even more degrees of difficulty. That’s in the best of times. Less than a year after they hired their core staff, covid hit. In addition to the challenges that covid created for all AAA development, The Initiative never really had time to develop their culture. A lot of things pointed to in that article (like creative differences and poor communication) would’ve had a much better chance to resolve themselves in a physical environment for creatives who’s success was generally in that type of setting. Add in the covid heating up the industry, remote work empowering developers to more quickly leave tentative situations, and creating a general shortage of talent that wasn’t the case in 2018 and you are suddenly facing a much more significant uphill climb building a AAA studio from scratch that simply wasn’t planned for when the studio’s initial vision was put in place.

• In game development, like most things in life, it’s not about what happens to you but how you respond. It’s common for things to not go as planned. Especially if you’re trying something new or different. How did Microsoft upper management deal with the situation? They were able to pair Gallagher with a AAA studio he had great success leading and they’re giving it time.

• I think too much is made of people drawing conclusions watching every step of how the hot dog gets made. End of the day, what matters is the quality of the final product and whether they did the right things in terms of preserving a healthy environment for the employees. The book is still being written. Generalized hot takes really show a lack of knowledge of the industry…IMO.

13 Likes

2 Likes

In CD I trust and I hope they have a clear vision. Guess we probably won’t be hearing or seeing this for a long, long time. I mean we can only guess how far along they are, but since development has been slow as they said…we can make an educated guess on that.

It is what it is, as long as the end result is great. And some have joked about it, others were serious…I am with the latter on this and that is that Xbox hopefully acquires CD. One thing seems for sure CD will be stuck with Xbox for quite a while, lol.

When that job is filled, it will be likely someone who will be leaving their current job at another dev

Guess that must be a sign that that previous dev is in serious trouble, losing an employee for any reason… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

I see journous are building a case against Xbox. They must be drooling, it was a long time they hadn’t a solid argument to shit on Xbox. The issue for Xbox is that the problems are real.

I’m seeing less than half news about harassment at Sony, which is several magnitude worse. But yeah, “persecution”. It’s more feeding the readers they have trained for the last decade.

10 Likes