Xbox Game Studios |OT8| Leaving The Drought Behind And Heading For Starfield

I think for Bethesda the only game to not get that treatment was Deathloop, which wasn’t marketed by them

I’m super positive about Xbox and it’s only going to get better, but I never shy away from talking about the negatives as well as the good stuff. To me its not either/or, that would be weird and limiting.

It’s also sometimes more interesting to discuss problems and solutions rather than cheerleading all the time. Especially “internally”, which I would consider this forum to be as it is mostly us Xbox fans here. People are a little bit to fast to label people though, goes both ways.

2 Likes

The negatives can be talked about but i dont find the game output thing to be a negative seeing as they have 23 studios developing games right now. This “issue” is temporary and probably will not be a topic anymore come August. Anyway its just my opinion.

3 Likes

I mean, my post has aged well… :grimacing:

No it hasn’t. It’s so there at the Christmas Holiday so people have games to play.

4 Likes

I don’t think Xbox would agree. Yes, obviously it would be better to have games at every time, but Q1 and Q2 aren’t really known for their strong sales/engagement potential. The multi-games-punch of Xbox this recent Q3/4 pretty much changed perception on how people see Xbox. Additionally, there are more than enough games just released that people are actively engaged with, and very relevant games coming soon that will be on Xbox – like Elden Ring – as well as all the announced Game Pass additions. The “drought” is primarily a problem when you try to list wars, but not so much when you actually play games on Xbox. Playstation didn’t have any (new) first-party games last half-year either and last I heard, they still survived just fine. No first-party publisher can guarantee a temporary time without releases.

But as I said, having games at all times is obviously better than not to, that’s where I agree with you, and Xbox will hit that more clearly starting in 2023. I think everyone can see that. For this year, Xbox again will have a very dominant Q3/Q4.

24 Likes

No I agree, it is very much temporary. This year is the last of the drawn out dry periods betweeen releases I think. Doesn’t mean I enjoy that this, or last, year :wink: The H2 we had 2021 is how it should be all the time, and it is what I expect from Starfield and onwards!

2 Likes

I still think Forza Horizon 5 would have been fine earlier this year. but OK :slightly_smiling_face:. but they knew early of 2022 would be weak for XGS. they could have easily avoided it.

Am I hopeful for believing we’ll see a Gears 6 trailer at e3 this year? Would be nice to see a trailer that takes a very different tone from Gears 4 through 1. Gears 5 to me felt like that game that Xbox Game Studios needed, a third person action adventure game with character emotion and relationship drama.

What I want out of Gears 6, a longer campaign that ties up all the current storylines. The finale to the new Gears trilogy, the final Gears title for a long time. The last mainline entry for a long time.

Last year 2022 didn’t look so bad with the first half possibly having As Dusk Falls, as per that Korean rating likely means a release relatively soon and the start of marketing even sooner. Stalker 2 in April, Dark Tide somewhere there too and Redfall in the summer.

Some seemed to believe FM which could be after summer and closing it with Starfield.

Now sure, not all of these are XGS but that is still a fine offering of games and that’s not including the indie titles either. But things have been changing a bit and it is just uncertain now what this year will look like, with I’d say only Starfield as a sure shot right now.

Hopefully we get some clarity soon, if Redfall isn’t summer anymore, it is what it is but best to just get it over with.

The Coalition could do a really solid reboot of Crimson Skies if they give it the Red Dead Redemption treatment.

It’s a universe that could perfectly do with a reboot, not a lot of people know what Crimson Skies even is, but the world is full of solid gameplay opportunities. Even if it would piss off the old time fans, I’d like to see The Coalition give it a shot and bring along some of the cover shooter treatment in between dog fights.

Fully open world game with an attractive anti-hero protagonist that has all the fun character problems. Gambling, drinking, loud mouthed sex addict. Give it the mature rating treatment and give us a character that we can watch grow across a trilogy of games. Don’t give us Drake from the original games, give us a new character but have subtle callbacks to the orignal.

I don’t care about the original Crimson Skies fans, sure they’d be extremely angry to see that the game has changed a lot since the original. The universe however could make for something really action packed and fun to explore. Give it some fun violent cover shooter portions similar to Red Dead Redemption, make a beautiful world where you can climb stuff with your grappling hook, and of course have a plane that you ride around in.

But it would also need to have motor bikes and cars, the idea that the entire map can be explored on a plane just seems ridiculous. I don’t think modern audiences want a game where all you do is fly a plane around, that doesn’t have mainstream appeal. They want to see their character they play as.

1 Like

I feel pretty confident that Forza Motorsport could launch this year if they wanted to.

This is spot on, just look at the hype around Xbox in the last 6 months. It’s funny everyone was doing this exact thing to Sony for the last six months of the year, yet they seem to be doing extremely well. There is a reason why the big games tend to always hit at the end of the year because those are prime slots.

The last six months of 2021 with Halo, Forza and AoE made people forget about the first six months and this year we’re getting bloody Starfield.

5 Likes

Nah, it’s not always console wars, expecially when a topic is so spread within community, Xbox 1st party has the advantage and also the disadvantage to support GP, which, like any subscription, needs meaningful, new and exclusive content all over the year to thrive, it’s that simple. Now, we all know the timings and that Xbox started to be serious only in 2018 (a fault in itself, but it’s useless to dwell in the past), se we have always known the moment of real change would have been 2022-2023. Sony and Nintendo still rely heavily on traditional sales, also they have more clout and quality reputation, so they can do nothing for a bit and people won’t complain, Xbox has just survived a generation which threatened its existence, it’s a bit different (Nintendo had the same problem, but they surpassed it with an exceptional 2017-2018, we’ll see about Xbox).

3 Likes

Very well said Kkob. The concerns I’m seeing about the 1st half “drought” is something that better be left to MS to worry about, not us. There’s so much to play and that will be added to GP that I can’t possibly feel any type of drought, hell I want things to slow down a little to finish what I have in my backlog.

10 Likes

Honestly every publisher has moments of drought, I’m not worried. Never forget 2017 through 2018 on Xbox.

ahhh just create new IP at this point.

if crimson skies would come back then it would be online only game

why would you create a new IP when crimson skies would play great with this sort of gameplay?

My studio of choice for a Crimson Skies reboot would be Asobo.

1 Like

But nobody is saying anything negative about the 23 studios here.

1 Like