Xbox Game Studios |OT8| Leaving The Drought Behind And Heading For Starfield

Most of their teams wouldn’t even be attempting the projects they’re working on right now so Phil is correct in saying they’re accelerating what their teams are capable of. Delays are just a part of game dev, even more so in a pandemic. As far as announcing games go…meh. Either they announce it early and we spend 4-5 years speculating or we spend 4-5 years speculating until they announce it.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t honestly be surprised to see redfall get delayed. Deathloop was delayed multiple times after it had gameplay shown and we’ve seen nothing of redfall so far

Nah, totally agreed on your first part, as a fan of them, it’s great to see Obsidian and inXile doing a step up and creating the games they couldn’t create 5 years ago.

But anyways i wasn’t thinking on them when i said that, it’s hard to judge these two when we have no clue the real scope of their next projects, even if we wish it’s their biggest projects so far, gotta wait and see.

Turn 10, Rare or 343i tho… it’s sad to see what Halo has become since 343i started to work on it, and outside of Bethesda, they are the biggest MS first party, so while the staff growth matters… ye

This isn’t a MS doom post anyways, just thinking it’s a bad idea not to show anything until months away from release, if we’re in 2022 and we know nothing about any game releasing on this same year, you kinda force this kind of conversation, but at the end of the day, i totally expect Starfield to make it this year, and it’ll be my game of 2022, and it’ll be my game of 2023 aswell, and this years E3 could be a 1,5 hours Starfield gameplay and it’d be the best E3 for me in a loong time, even tho i hope i’ll be strong enough to watch as little gameplay as i can from the game before i play it.

Didn’t mean to come off angry or anything, just think there is plenty this year that MS hasn’t announced.

Think delays maybe worse than last year at this rate.

its a bad idea to show teasers for games that are years away and during those years to not show any progress of the games at all

1 Like

I think we just need to wait for Arkane to give us an update. I know its a tired topic, but Microsoft leaving huge gaps to showcase/update games can cause these type of speculation.

1 Like

Showing “progress” either takes a lot of resources from the game development or it gets ripped to shreds for not looking polished enough.

Xbox’s problem is the games were so far out that they had to announce early to show games existed but none were mature enough in 2021 to show gameplay. That problem is largely solved when the pipeline is better. People won’t be that sad about not seeing a 2024 game in 2022 when they saw a bunch of other games.

9 Likes

if other developers can do it then so can microsoft with all the resources they have , just look at larian studios , they dont have even 1% of microsoft money or people and still they constantly show how the game changes

Microsoft doesn’t have “all the resources”, many of their studios are relatively small and growing at a fast pace.

2 Likes

you cant tell me playground games have less resources and people than larian

Playground has not reached their desired size of ~200 per team, so I’m all for not taking necessary staff away from development of a game to put together yearly demos.

2 Likes

yeah keep making excuses for them while wondering if the game is in good shape or not for a couple more years

Ah yes, this line of thinking and attitude will totally get you friends here.

They aren’t excuses, it’s the reality of game development. We know that slices take a lot of resources to make and we know games don’t really come together to the end.

Did they announce the games too early in the first place? Yes, but they had no other option.

5 Likes

yeah thats what i need , friends

what i want is to know more about my most anticipated games , if you think that its normal to show a teaser and then go silent for 2+ years then i dont know what to tell you

i think everyone that isnt a kid know how development works and that the game changes from start to finish , sometimes alot , but i think gamers can understand why developers add or remove certain features as long as the developer are honest about it

they dont need to show the game during some event just record some gameplay of curent version of the game and show it to the world , get the feedback from the fans make some changes and show the game again after 6 months

Lets get this out of the way, “Xbox Game Studios” doesn’t have much currently in the pipeline for 2022. However, Bethesda Softworks(1st party publisher owned by XGS) currently has enough projects in the way to cover this year and possibly even next.

Xbox got their ass saved by that Bethesda Softworks acquisition imo. Had it not been for Bethesda people would still be saying Xbox has no games.

3 Likes

Did you see the Redfall leak and the internet’s reaction? It proved your entire post wrong.

16 Likes

those were just some low res screenshots from a very very early build , most likely before the announcement