Xbox Game Studios |OT5| DOOM posting not allowed. Except for posting about DOOM

There are those who legit thought MS would release SF this year alongside Halo. Stupid decision from a marketing view and I was proven right. As always time will tell

So Avowed which has been rumored to be the reason Microsoft bought them and has been in the works since like 2018 was only a proof of concept last year? Im not getting into this.

If you think the strategy for xbox is to hold announcements and game releases on a service that needs a constant flow of games because of another similar one then idk what to say. Xbox needs to showcase stuff constantly from its internal studios irrelevant of genre.

2 Likes

There will be a constant flow, of all genres. Thatā€™s MS aim, but they will not release games of the same genre in the same period or year.

Iā€™ve heard they will only show CGI if a game is 2 years out and gameplay a year out and I canā€™t see Avowed being a year out and I still think itā€™s too early to show another CGI. Iā€™d say Avowed would be shown next year E3, then gameplay reveal E3 2023 with release that year.

1 Like

This is gaming marketing at its most basic. Eventually MS will be in every genre.

I think maybe an X event in late 2022.

They absolutely will do so, if the games are ready

Bolstering Gamepass is more important than arbitraly holding games back because of not wanting to release it close to a similar game. We need to stop with this old way of thinking. They wonā€™t relese two big games in the same week, or anything, but the same month? Sure, if they both are fully ready to go. And the same few month period? Absolutely

And if they are of a similar genre. I donā€™t see them holding one back either for the same reasons above. Of course, it would be a rare occasion that two big AAA RPGā€™s, two big Third Person action games, or two big First Person Shooters are both ready that close together and I think you know this too. So making such a prediction as you are is a pretty safe one to be right about, even if the real reason has nothing to do with what youā€™re saying

5 Likes

My guess here

2022 weā€™ll see Avowed gameplay 2023 weā€™ll see Perfect Dark gameplay

Itā€™s way too early to show gameplay for some of these projects. We should be happy now that Microsoft actually has studios now that Bethesda is under their belt.

2018 was Microsoft rebooting all their first party efforts. Itā€™s going to take years for them to recoup some of the misdoings from the 2015+ era when they cancelled projects like Scalebound, Phantom Dust, Fable Legends, Project Knoxville etc. and shut those first party studios down.

At one point back in 2016 Microsoft only had

• Turn 10
  • 343 Industries
  • The Coalition
  • Rare
  • Mojang (on PlayStation and Switch)

Microsoft didnā€™t even start acquiring studios until 2018.

the 2018 acquisitions

• Playground Games is about to come out with their second title under XGS.
  • We have no idea whatā€™s going on at Ninja Theory but they already had one title released under XGS (Bleeding Edge)
  • Obsidian was finishing obligations on The Outer Worlds and just finished the DLC for Pillars of Eternity ii Deadfire. has released one title under XGS
  • Compulsion Games was about to finish wrapping up We Happy Few when Microsoft acquired them. They finished the final DLC for We Happy Few in 2019.
  • InXile Entertainment is working on another DLC after Wasteland 3ā€™s The Battle of Steeltown. This studio is not going to have a title under XGS for a longā€¦long time.
  • Undead Labs has and will probably continue to be a very slow moving studio.

2019 acquisitions

• Double Fine is putting the final touched on Psychonauts 2. Would not be surprised to see small projects coming out of this studio ** yearly or bi-yearly** along with the development of their larger projects. They released RAD last year.

Iā€™m leaving Worldā€™s Edge out because they donā€™t really develop games. They are just management over the Age of Empires franchise.

They also had some 2nd party releases under Xbox Global Publishing

• Microsoft Flight Simulator
  • Tell Me Why
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure where this idea comes from that Starfield and Halo canā€™t release in a similar timeframe. Iā€™m not saying they will as all signs currently point to 2022, but I donā€™t see why releasing them a month or two apart would really impact much of anything. Theyā€™re completely different games, and lots of gamers get the newest, hottest game and then complain two weeks later that thereā€™s no games to play. Plus GamePass, so yeah, I personally donā€™t get the ā€œcannibalizeā€ narrative that goes around.

3 Likes

@Hindle You think starfield is late 2022 right? And you also said avowed is 2023. How is that ā€˜much much laterā€™.

There is no way Microsoft is going to arbitrarily hold games back a year because they released an RPG in Q1.

1 Like

Especially with gamepass

Iā€™m not exprcting Avowed until Sept-Oct 2023

2 Likes

Yeah I have to agree with this, the only time I see them holding it back is if they can use more polish. They can place the two games anytime in the year.

Starfield ainā€™t coming in Q1.

Very Funny Reaction GIF

No but you can drop an RPG on Q1-Q2 and then another one in the other two quarters. There is nothing that stops A Fable, Starfield or Avowed launching in the same year.

1 Like

We do not know how far along in dev those games are. I think they are still years away and will not be shown until ready. Starfield is coming first, so thatā€™s what they focus on

The fact they will have other AAA games in other genres launching in that quarter is what stops it. Again you will see as we go forward

A great business pitch for any respective RPG developer joining Microsoftā€¦

We can only release one RPG a year, so weā€™ll put your IP into cold storage for years on end. :wink:

7 Likes