Xbox Game Studios |OT5| DOOM posting not allowed. Except for posting about DOOM

Yeah nathan drake is fighting a giant mammoth and has to hit it with a bow. Also lasers.

6 Likes

The leaked screenshots, especially the latest ones are apparently still from a very old build and the lighting is already a biiiiiig improvement over all their previous games. Can’t wait. And let’s not forget that new animation system!

2 Likes

Don’t forget the glowy Knirps :stuck_out_tongue:

Same. You know what’s the most frustrating ? I have nothing against Sony, they’re doing a great job but I’m sick of reading about them and their games in an Xbox Game Studios thread. How is this not console warring ? And what’s worse is the console warriors critisize and attack some of my fav Xbox people on social media. Ironically, Jez doesn’t even care about Sony and their games. I don’t think he owns a PS5 or is planning on getting one. He said as much on the podcast. He respects them but prefers Xbox. I sincerely hope he doesn’t read these posts. I felt bad when Parris did. These are good ‘‘Xbox’’ people who get chastized by console warriors and its tiresome.

Back on topic, I hope the day soon comes that MS kills off this narrative and outshines all the other platforms and shuts up everyone, fanboys on both sides.While I’m happy that Sony and Nintendo are doing great stuff and this isn’t a disrespect towards them in any way, but I’m sick of the constant hate that Xbox gets, mockingly, about their games and how it lacks. Yeah we know this already for a while, but pretending that the future isn’t bright is annoying to hear from the other side. I hope they also continue their acquisitions to the point the people who mock Xbox for their lack of great games, to bend the knee and shut up once and for all.

Some old Phil Spencer quotes about the games he’s most excited for.

Toward the end of the interview, we asked Spencer about which first-party studio’s unannounced title he is most excited for the public to see. He replied saying; “I’m gonna give you two if that’s okay?”

“One of them is Compulsion,” stated Spencer. “When I first saw We Happy Few, there was an art style and a setting that I thought was really unique. It’s a young studio and they are still growing and learning the craft of what they are as a team. But looking at what they’re gonna do next, I love their ability to create new worlds and unique settings.”

Spencer continued saying; “The other one I would say is The Initiative, which is our studio in Santa Monica. I’ve played what they are doing next. Just the talent we have been able to bring into that studio led by Darryl Gallagher is amazing, especially when you bring such an amazing group of creators together, and create such a culture that Darryl is working to create there.”

Why would he mention Compulsion ? To me that’s very interesting and telling imo. He knows something we don’t. When they announced Compulsion being acquired I was like ‘‘meh’’. But after Phils comment I’m very excited to see what they’re cooking up.

Speaking to Gamereactor, Spencer was asked about the Xbox line-up and whether it was missing anything. “If we look at what people are playing on Xbox, what Game Pass subscribers are playing, I think what is missing from our portfolio is casual content with a broad appeal,” Spencer replied. “E-rated content (to use an ESRB rating) is not a strength for us. We obviously have Minecraft and we have some other franchises. But when I think about expanding the creative palette that our teams have, I think that is critically important. Teams that can build new franchises, tell new stories, those are always sought after. That’s why I’m excited about projects like Starfield and the next Compulsion game because I like teams that think about new creations.” The Xbox Game Pass services are continuing to expand, with an increase in the quality of games being added to it, and Spencer comments on this, saying, “as Game Pass continues to grow, we need to continue to feed that subscription. So, with the growth that we are seeing, I expect we will constantly be in this mode of bringing more creators into the fold.”

The future is so bright.

7 Likes

Compulsions next game for sure will be very unique and people out there looking for something new will tune in for sure

I really wouldn’t mind seeing something similar to how DL2 was presented yesterday, but then with XGS games. I thought it was very well presented, detailed and good. 0 cringe, but that’s to be expected when it’s nothing but people that actually work on the game.

I’d love to see this for Fable once it has its E3 reveal. There will come a point that Xbox has so many games (too many games!!! Lmao) that they can’t keep it all for E3, GC or XO, and that’s where a separate/dedicated stream comes in. Now after that stream yesterday I’m much more hyped for DL2.

Its sorta the same standardized Sony third person slice …

I like Horizon but lets not pretend it’s kinda reinventing the wheel on the Sony template

1 Like

people are talking about the graphics. gameplay, etc. its more of the same.

1 Like

Looks great but thats like Guerillas strong point lol and even yesterday we saw some compromises.

Now that they mention it Aloy does behave like Nathan combat wise tbh with the exception of having more stuff to use lol.

4 Likes

Horizon is different than God of War, which is different than Spider-Man, and Ratchet & Clank. If by Sony Template you mean single player, third person narrative driven blockbusters, it’s not really a bad thing

5 Likes

Sure it’s not a problem and whoever enjoys those more power to them (Ive played them and had fun with them).

:chief_think:

Klobrille in the otherERA - Source.

I mean, about the Graphics. so shouldnt we expect games like “HFW” at Xbox Studios? @Klobrille wanted to know what do you think. :slightly_smiling_face:

although we already have amazing things like Forza Horizon 4 and MSFS 2020 and other things coming up like: Hellblade 2, FH5, Fable, Motorsport etc. which are Xbox graphic showcases.

4 Likes

First of all, welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Secondly, I think when people refer to the Sony Formula, they tend to be referring to what I will call two “clusters” of games for lack of a better phrase, or Formula A and B. It must first be noted as well that several games, from Ratchet, to Astrobot, to Sackboy to Demon’s Souls and beyond do not really fit either one of these.

In terms of the quote-unquote formulas, I think they are as follows:

Formula A: The Naughty Dog Formula

For lack of a better phrase, this is the one primarily utilized in ND’s games Uncharted and The Last of Us. They are primarily (if not outright exclusively) linear experiences that are driven first and foremost by the character. What is lacking in player agency is often made up for in story integration. It is arguable that games within Sony like God of War, and ones outside like A Plague Tale and Crystal Dynamic’s TR reboot fit the bill, albeit sometimes with more open linear environments.

Traditionally, these games are played from an over-the-shoulder perspective, have light stealth elements and several “slow walk and talk” moments and climbing/“puzzle” (often no more complex than lowering a block or moving a plank) sections to deliver character and expository moments without significantly interrupting the narrative experience.

Formula B: The “UbiSony” formula

This is the one utilized within games by Sony that is at least on a surface level similar to the ones used in Ubisoft games. You have a primarily linear experience placed in an open world, with side camps, sidemissions, towers to unveil fog on the maps, enemy encampments to clear, etc. While on the surface level these are similar, Sony’s approach is often further integrated with story moments and moments from Formula A. This is the formula used in titles like Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, Horizon, etc.

All of this being said, while there are some commonalities, there are absolutely big differences as well. Horizon and God of War have RPG elements. Infamous and Spider-Man place a great deal of importance on traversal and speed. etc.

And a formula in and of itself is of course not a bad thing. I suspect most of Xbox’s forthcoming RPGs barring Dragon and Fable will be primarily cut from the Bethesda cloth, with their own subtle differences (Obsidian’s take on the formula often is driven by player choice and writing over interactivity and immersion).

But yeah, ultimately those are in the end two types of something cut from the same cloth, i.e. Narrative third person blockbusters, and I think there are some fantastic offerings there. I for one thoroughly enjoyed Horizon and absolutely loved Ghost and God of War. I think it’s just a case where mileage may vary in the end and why genre diversity is important as well (which Sony seems to know given their recent partnerships).

3 Likes

It’s not about the graphics, but overall scale and polish that comes from big ass budgets. For example games like Gears 5, Quantum Break, Ryse etc had very good graphics, but you could see cut corners coming from their limited budgets. I want MS once in a while to make 200 million $, balls to the walls blockbuster.

Reminder that The Battle of Steeltown expansion for Wasteland 3 releases in less than a week, on June 3rd :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I mean, Forza Horizon 4, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, Hivebusters has excellent graphics and arrived well at launch. they know how to do that too. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I definitely get what Klobrille is saying here, and for studios like Compulsion and Undead Labs I won’t soon expect eye melting visuals with the craziest attention to detail. But from Playground with FH and Fable I have very high expectations. Same goes for Ninja Theory.

So XGS might not answer Horizon in the sense of having a open world third person action adventure, maybe in the future, but I definitely expect equally impressive visuals and hopefully a similar attention to state of the art animation and attention to detail.

1 Like

this is the topic of Xbox Studios.

Put here :slightly_smiling_face: :point_down:.

Wasteland 3 is my GOTY. Such an amazing game. One of the best RPGs I have played in some time.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to get back into that universe on a more optimised version (I played on One S Digital). Playing this day one.