Xbox Game Studios |OT5| DOOM posting not allowed. Except for posting about DOOM

First of all, welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Secondly, I think when people refer to the Sony Formula, they tend to be referring to what I will call two “clusters” of games for lack of a better phrase, or Formula A and B. It must first be noted as well that several games, from Ratchet, to Astrobot, to Sackboy to Demon’s Souls and beyond do not really fit either one of these.

In terms of the quote-unquote formulas, I think they are as follows:

Formula A: The Naughty Dog Formula

For lack of a better phrase, this is the one primarily utilized in ND’s games Uncharted and The Last of Us. They are primarily (if not outright exclusively) linear experiences that are driven first and foremost by the character. What is lacking in player agency is often made up for in story integration. It is arguable that games within Sony like God of War, and ones outside like A Plague Tale and Crystal Dynamic’s TR reboot fit the bill, albeit sometimes with more open linear environments.

Traditionally, these games are played from an over-the-shoulder perspective, have light stealth elements and several “slow walk and talk” moments and climbing/“puzzle” (often no more complex than lowering a block or moving a plank) sections to deliver character and expository moments without significantly interrupting the narrative experience.

Formula B: The “UbiSony” formula

This is the one utilized within games by Sony that is at least on a surface level similar to the ones used in Ubisoft games. You have a primarily linear experience placed in an open world, with side camps, sidemissions, towers to unveil fog on the maps, enemy encampments to clear, etc. While on the surface level these are similar, Sony’s approach is often further integrated with story moments and moments from Formula A. This is the formula used in titles like Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, Horizon, etc.

All of this being said, while there are some commonalities, there are absolutely big differences as well. Horizon and God of War have RPG elements. Infamous and Spider-Man place a great deal of importance on traversal and speed. etc.

And a formula in and of itself is of course not a bad thing. I suspect most of Xbox’s forthcoming RPGs barring Dragon and Fable will be primarily cut from the Bethesda cloth, with their own subtle differences (Obsidian’s take on the formula often is driven by player choice and writing over interactivity and immersion).

But yeah, ultimately those are in the end two types of something cut from the same cloth, i.e. Narrative third person blockbusters, and I think there are some fantastic offerings there. I for one thoroughly enjoyed Horizon and absolutely loved Ghost and God of War. I think it’s just a case where mileage may vary in the end and why genre diversity is important as well (which Sony seems to know given their recent partnerships).

3 Likes

It’s not about the graphics, but overall scale and polish that comes from big ass budgets. For example games like Gears 5, Quantum Break, Ryse etc had very good graphics, but you could see cut corners coming from their limited budgets. I want MS once in a while to make 200 million $, balls to the walls blockbuster.

Reminder that The Battle of Steeltown expansion for Wasteland 3 releases in less than a week, on June 3rd :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I mean, Forza Horizon 4, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, Hivebusters has excellent graphics and arrived well at launch. they know how to do that too. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I definitely get what Klobrille is saying here, and for studios like Compulsion and Undead Labs I won’t soon expect eye melting visuals with the craziest attention to detail. But from Playground with FH and Fable I have very high expectations. Same goes for Ninja Theory.

So XGS might not answer Horizon in the sense of having a open world third person action adventure, maybe in the future, but I definitely expect equally impressive visuals and hopefully a similar attention to state of the art animation and attention to detail.

1 Like

this is the topic of Xbox Studios.

Put here :slightly_smiling_face: :point_down:.

Wasteland 3 is my GOTY. Such an amazing game. One of the best RPGs I have played in some time.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to get back into that universe on a more optimised version (I played on One S Digital). Playing this day one.

Yes.

very curious about what they brought to the Xbox+Bethesda Showcase.

I played if on PC. I didn’t have a single issue. Most of the frame drops that were initially in the game seems to be patched out. The world of Wasteland 3 is so dark and dialogue/voice acting is top notch. The consequences of the choices you make are so good. Also there are so many hilarious silly/funny elements to the game in such a dark grim tone of the game which compliments it really well.

I cannot wait for the next game from Inexile. Obsidian and Inexile are two studios to look out for

Inxile gonna be that studio this gen people gonna be SHOCKED when that AAA drops.

“How did xbox get these people for cheap”

9 Likes

Krobrille is not wrong here. Sony has been investing in their game engines and studio pilpelines since quite long, and the fruits of that labour are paying off. Whether the game is good or not is a different discussion but there graphics pipeline within their studios is really mature and the results we can see.

Whereas Xbox at the end of 360 stopped investing in First Party and we all know how the Xbox One generation went where XBOX division was on the verge of being closed down. So whatever investment XBOX made in last few years will take a few years to mature and we will see the results after that.

Not saying there wont be any good looking games.

The reason why FORZA and Gears games looks so good is because there investment in engines and production pipeline is really mature hence the fidelity and performance can be seen. The thing with Halo is that its a whole new engine so its pretty much in its infancy, and they have changed the whole rendering pipeling, so it has to be tweaked a lot to get the desired result.

There is nothing to worry. Care about good games regardless of graphics or not. So far my favourite game has been Wasteland 3 which is by no means an graphical showcase but the story, world, gameplay is so immersive that I dont even care about how it looks.

:pray:

3 Likes

Agree. In my eyes the writing of Inexile is much sharper than even Obsidian. I was so pleasantly surprised with Wasteland 3 and it is a definition of a pure old school RPG which has been modernized.

Yeah Sponger was the one that seemed very impressed with them, wasn’t it? That inXile is about to pull off some crazy stuff for RPG.

Xbox has great looking games there is zero to worry about, here’s a few bits of work from most of the teams. (sorry in advance for the massive post haha)

Forza Horizon 4

Halo 5

Gears 5

Hellblade

DOOM Eternal

Grounded

Wasteland 3

Sea of Thieves

State of Decay 2

Deathloop

Fallout 76

Wolfenstein II

Evil Within 2

The Elder Scrolls Online

19 Likes

Doom Eternal :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like

I couldn’t have demonstrated it any better. Honestly, we should not have any worries about great looking games coming from first party because there are so many studios that have put out great looking games over the years.

Believe it or not, but Sony does not have a monopoly over games with great graphics. :wink:

2 Likes

Are we sure about Playgrounds presence at E3? In yesterdays Forza Monthly (the last one before E3) they didn’t mention the show a single time or did I miss that?

I found that a bit strange.

Does he means we have to wait 10+ years for XGS to reach PlayStation Studios level? How he judged that?

I have no issue with Jez thinking that. My only issue is why even engage this kind of question?

I mean why do you think this guy asked him that? (I think it’s obvious). And why would Jez respond with anything other than “mate, what are you trying to do here?”

The question’s certainly posed for easy deniabilty. Like if called out he can just say what, I’m just curious and hoping the answer is yes? But the guy knows what he’s doing. Whether he’s acting on a bias, or not, he knows why he asked that. To stoke the console war peeps in to clicking on his tweet and replying

And I would hope Jez is smart enough to scope that shit out. He has to know his response is like prime rib for Sony console warriors, though I’m sure if he has it brought up to him he’ll respond with an exasperated “people need to relax” sort of retort

And he’d be half right as it’s not a huge deal to get worked up over, but I just don’t accept anymore that these guys don’t know where this sort of stuff will lead

5 Likes