Xbox Game Studios |OT4| This is for Studio talk. Studios. It's the Studios OT. Studio talk here (Part 1)

I don’t like how they sorta rely on a 3rd party engine so much so this sort of stuff effects them. Good thing they have bought a few cool engines.

more content to keep the hype. :wink:

Have a drink. It may help.

Season 1 Drinking GIF by Rick and Morty

1 Like

I can’t wait to hear from the streamers and youtubers that don’t really play Xbox. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Awesome!

2 Likes

Need time to announce the WB studio acquisition

3 Likes

Didn’t some studios have now turned to UE 5? Like the Coalition And from what epic said it will be easy to shift your game from UE4 to UE 5 " you can get started with next-gen development now in UE4 and move your projects to UE5 when ready. " Q4 2022 is reasonable but when we have something like covid-19 No one can guarantee anything and everything will be just an expectation

That’s not the situation now. That was their intention, but things happened. There are some breaking changes in UE5 if coming from UE4. Namely all the UI Plugins have to be recompiled at the least or entirely reworked at the worst. This will definitely not be an easy update like moving to UE 4.25 or UE 4.26 when on earlier UE4 version.

That’s just the way the cookie crumbles. :frowning:

This is what was pointed out to me on B3D coming from OEra:

It is indeed pushed to August September in the current timeline. It’s possible that could be pushed back even further. There was a pretty significant refactor of slate for ue5, so all plugins with a UI component had to be rewritten. Additionally many more engine components have been reimplemented as plugins which of course creates issues when one module depends on another.

I don’t see the preview coming out after 2021 though. Epic is pretty adamant about getting the engine in the hands of developers this year. There’s just a lot of stuff to fix.

If you’re a current ue4 developer, don’t expect your plugins to work or be compiled quickly. While all of my blueprints were intact, a lot of my c++ had to be adjusted for the stricter structure. I spent a good couple hours adjusting third party plugins to get them to compile and even removed some because I couldn’t be bothered to fix the myriad issues not present when compiling the plugins on ue4.

This is not a condemnation of ue5. Far from. I work with Epic. Ue5 is very exciting to me. But as developers using the engine we should keep the expectations in line with reality. It likely won’t be super useful to ue4 developers until 2022.

And then also the following:

No there is no chance of that (unless it’s a prototype), when they say they give it to key partners early it’s to get feedback on features, processes, how they can speed up workflows etc…no one in their right mind is going to develop anything with a preview version of an engine. Things are going to change radically from one preview iteration to the next…somethings will be rewritten, functions changes or dropped.No dev is going to constantly rewrite their stuff from iteration to iteration or dev with a buggy ass engine that could Wipeout your whole project at any moment.

You dev when Epic deems it stable. Even when stable You typically wait for 1 or versions and hot fixes to upgrade so you don’t risk game breaking bugs

5 Likes

Wow, this game actually looks great. Xbox-money at work!

3 Likes

Thanks Mort! It was fun to do.

2 Likes

So Rare really doesn’t know what the game is? :wink:

Finally got round to watching it. I have never seen the conference before, but I agree with you that the end of the Halo 2 demo still gives me goose bumps even after all these years later. The socre by Marty and Salvatori is just :fire:

I did have a chuckle during it at the fact that it kind of looked like a couple of middlish aged men reminiscing about the good old days :grin:.

Entertaining video and very much looking forward to the next ones :+1:.

1 Like

Now I can DEFINITELY see Grounded or something getting it’s launch trailer at Geoff’s event. Something that, whilst welcome, just isn’t what I want taking up air time at E3.

1 Like

Grounded was one of the best trailers at last years showcase. It was really funny

1 Like

True. But it;s just too near release to warrent an e3 trailer.

I think right now Microsoft is dealing with risk of showing games too early. However it’s very tricky because fans want to know what’s in the pipeline, but fans don’t want to wait 2-4 years for games to launch. I do think Microsoft should only announce stuff that are 1-2 years away, but I do feel they need to announce stuff on pipeline so people are hyped for gamepass. Also it’s not different than tv networks announcing stuff way in advanced like Amazon announced been working on LOTR show for like 5 years and HBO working on GoT prequels.

1 Like

This is looking very psychedelic and good.

Oh god, are we gonna get the same quality commentary like last year?

12 Likes
6 Likes