Xbox Game Studios |OT4| This is for Studio talk. Studios. It's the Studios OT. Studio talk here (Part 1)

This got me hyped. I cant stand MMOs

Quake reboot

1 Like

I don’t think you have been mocked for stating the obvious, of course COVID-19 has impacted teams across the world, XGS and third party. I think it’s more that you have expected far greater delays in terms of length than are probable. Outside of Japan, studios continued working from home, this doesn’t mean that doesn’t equal no delay, it still takes time for that remote infrastructure to be set up after all, this would add most likely 6 - 12 months at most delay. You definitely have been mocked for insisting Indiana Jones being a 2028 game, Machine Games is a good team that don’t just sit on their hands, they put games out at a regular clip.

Wolfenstein 3 was probably planned to be out this year but likely has been pushed for out to next year. Indiana Jones is most likely a 2024-2025 game.

5 Likes

Never said Indy was 2028. It will be 2027. I think this year people will finally see the full reality of the situation when even games that are well into dev see delays

That will get harder for them as we move further into the generation. Series X has some massive untapped potential if you look at things like sampler feeback streaming or ml super resolution. When this is not available on ps5 the gap will definitely widen over the course of time.

1 Like

I was going from memory and could have sworn you said 2028 for Indy. Went back to check and you have said both 2027 and 2028.

No hard feelings, so please don’t take it that way. I understand we are all just having a guess based on what is out there and there isn’t much.

4 Likes

There is no way Indiana Jones is later than 2025. The game designers/writers/etc would be working on it now, while the dev team would be finishing up Wolf 3.

When Wolf 3 ships, the dev team will start up prod on Indy.

5 Likes

Yup bethesda always shows their games right before release like how wolfenstein 2 got shown at e3 2017 and released in October that year. Their games have so far had a 2 year development cycle. i see covid delay pushing the third game to next year, but im fairly certain pre production on indiana jones is well and truly underway. 2025 at most

1 Like

Guys, Indiana Jones 2027? Are we serious? No game in existence starts with more than a 5 year plan, which might be extended along the way, but not from the start. I don’t expect it before 2024 considering Wolf 3, it may be even slip to 2025, but come on with the hot takes.

2 Likes

Yeah 2025 seems like a good target, maybe even 2024

And it would be really far out if it comes in 2025, games are normally released 1-2 years after the initial announcement, bar development hell situations and/or slimy companies which bank on hype (I won’t say the names lmao).

I think lucasfilm games like to make deals and announce the game within a few months, like it might be their way of hyping up the games. This of the basis that Massive entertainment was already working on an avatar game when they announced they would be doing a star wars game. Announce way early for hype must be one of the conditions.

According to Guerrilla, Horizon Zero Dawn took between 6 & 7 years, largely because it was something completely new. New intellectual property. New genre. It began active development in 2011, after they completed work on Killzone 3, & released in 2017. Pre-production apparently began in 2010 though.

Machine could be in a similar situation with Indiana Jones. Not saying it will definitely take the same time to develop, just saying it wouldn’t be unheard of.

As I said, the initial plan CAN be delayed, but rest assured that Sony and Guerrilla didn’t plan from the beginning a 7 years dev cycle, this is my point.

Indiana Jones most likely won’t be a open-world game, so you can strip 1-2 years to the dev cycle only from this assumption.

I think these things simply take as long as they take. I would err on the side of caution when guessing how long it’s going to take a team to do something completely different though, which I’m assuming Indiana Jones will be for Machine (could be wrong here, obviously). They could come up against several new problems that could significantly slow down development.

We just don’t know,. We’re all guessing, so I’m in no hurry to dismiss anyone.

Yes, we are guessing, the only real thing is that Machine Games delivered 5 games in 10 years of existence (2009-2019), 2 full fledged AAA (new order and colossus), 2 large expasion type games (old blood and youngblood), 1 vr game (cyberpilot) and even one official map pack for Quake 1. Knowing this, 2027 is totally a hot take, come on.

Those titles also had to build lore and story from the ground up, so strip some time away from that too.

1 Like

You could be right. You could be wrong. Only time will tell.

Wasnt Guerilla building an engine in the meantime for Shadowfall and Horizon? That explains the long dev time since they had to alter the engine and throws the comparison with Machine Games/Indiana Jones out the window.

2 Likes

yup it was tough transitioning the decima engine to open world after making killzone