Xbox Game Studios |OT3| Once more....with feeling (Part 1)

Then let Coalition keep working on Gears and all the praise they will get is how technically excellent the games are and look and nothing beyond that. Gears will become (if it isnt by now) just a steady middle of the barrel franchise they can drop a game here and there that looks nice to fill a year.

Not saying thats bad but I think Coalition is talented enough to make something unique that is theirs but oh well. Cant wait for Gears 6 then and call it a wrap.

Also the people calling for a 30 hour Gears story are you people mental?

1 Like

It is already fading. Of that there is no doubt. Even Halo is a fading IP in terms of it’s previous dominance and Halo is gargantuan compared to Gears. The franchise just needs a rest, that’s all.

Thankfully MS are trying to make up for lost ground by investing significant money into new IP. This has long been their achilles heel.

my dream game from Xbox Game Studios would be Machine Games rebooting CRIMSON SKIES.

The setting is perfect, alternate history of the 1930s where you live in the United States surrounded by sectionalism. You are part of a gang of air pirates who would grow over the course of the story. Start off as thieves and by the end you become a group fighting for peoples freedom against a regime who’s all about fascism. This is the type of story that Machine Games has expertly crafted over the years and now they can work on this type of game with their newly learned skills taken from Indiana Jones and Cyberpilot.

3rd person action adventure game with you are equip with a gun, a wrench and a grappling hook. You don’t have to constantly be flying in order to make Crimson Skies work. use flight as a way of moving around the map and getting to sections that you otherwise wouldn’t be able to get to on foot. Have tight combat controls, don’t make it a flight sim. By pressing on the D pad you can have one of your gang members pick you up at any time, just have an animation where your character uses the grapple hook to hop back on the 2 seated aircraft.

if they get Indiana Jones right I would love for them to get the proposal.

4 Likes

No amount of money will make Gears popular to even reach forza levels which is a bar lower than Halo. Its in its 9th game soon and unless Gears 6 totally reinvents the wheel and brings people in like Gears 2 did I doubt it. Its just not appealing.

Agree.

with 35 studios and GP these teams are now allowed the freedom and time to work on what THEY want (AAA/AA/Indie and which ever game franchise they want), and time enough to allow the quality to be as good as possible.

That can only be a good thing for the devs and for XGS and most of all for the gamers.

2 Likes

Another day, another conversation about Gears.

Personally, Gears is my favorite Xbox franchise and The Coalition is firing on all cylinders - EXPAND THE UNIVERSE WITH NEW EXPERIENCES AND CONTINUE THE GEARS SAGA.

9 Likes

Not the point people are trying to make and its cool that its your fav. Its one of my favs and I own every game but Im not blind to the state of the franchise. Coalition is firing on all cylinders when it comes to technical achievements but everywhere else it leaves to be desired but oh well.

1 Like

People went to the coalition because they like gears and want to work on it. If they feel creative passion working on gears, and that’s the games they want to make, why should they make something else?

4 Likes

There seem to be a lot of people in this thread concerned about whether The Coalition should continue Gears or not. I don’t see it as a bad thing to keep Gears going, Microsoft has more than enough first party studios and games releasing in the future. If you don’t enjoy the Gears games you don’t have to play them. I imagine this whole “xbox only has Halo Forza Gears” talk is going to end toward the middle or end of the generation. also chances are The Coalition will have more development time for their next game because their publisher doesn’t have to push for a consistent release cycle now that they have a lot of content in constant development. During the xbox one generation they only owned a very small amount of studios and shut even more down before acquiring in 2018, 19, and 20. Which forced Forza to release every two years and Gears every three.

5 Likes

Xbox has/will have 23 studios working on whatever they want in whatever genre they want. So if The Coalition wants to keep working on Gears, delivering great experiences just like Gears 5 and Tactics, I’m all for it.

Now with those other 22 studios working on games, TC can take their time to craft the next Gears, and even create a second team to work on new experiences in the Gears world (just like Tactics).

5 Likes

I think the state of the franchise is strong (e.g., technical achievement, storytelling, gameplay), though, especially after Gears 5, Hivebusters, and Tactics, and, when you look at the universe, it’s a perfect platform for expansion and exploration into new experiences.

Universe building can be outside of what’s considered “the norm” within the IP. New planets, timelines, enemies, and genres can all provide new experiences within the Gears universe.

1 Like

Let them work on it then if thats what they want to do but then dont spend the better part of the next decade asking why Coalition gets no recognition if the next Gears ends up like the previous ones.

At xbox unless its Halo there is no need to have a studio solely dedicated to a single IP imo.

Halo has not fade. All it needs is a great entry again and than it will be among the most popular shooters again. Remember the hype for Halo Infinite befor the showcase?

In fact people are starving for a new entry.

1 Like

If any game needs a great entry to get back to being amongst the most popular shooters again, it has, by definition, faded.

The demand for a new great Halo is very high. Halo 5 had mixed perseption of cause that made damage. But it hasnt faded. People want a good game. If Halo Infinite is great it willl be BIG. Gears on the other hand was consistently great but eventhough people did not care so much. Completly differend.

2 Likes

The problem with Gears and The Coalition is that they seem to think the MP is popular. It’s not. The vast majority of people play Gears for the campaign and some PvE. Just detach the MP and let the campaigns flourish imho.

4 Likes

I dont think thats enough to save Gears. People dont really care about the new cast and the story involved and if your big selling point is the campaign and neither of those are important enough to cause discussion then

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Just look how well received MCC is now lol. Halo is still THE xbox brand.

2 Likes

I think detaching it from the MP would give enough freedom to evolve the campaigns.

2 Likes
8 Likes