Xbox Game Studios |OT11| The One with Starfield and Activision Blizzard King

Further proof that Mojang is working on a new project.

10 Likes

I wonder if it will be another Minecraft Spin off or a new IP.

You run with that IP imo. It has reached 300 million people.

3 Likes

I mostly agree with you. But I think Xbox will have a second half of the Series X/S lifespan that proves better than its first. And the recent troubles at PlayStation have a VERY good chance of negatively impacting PS6’s performance and give the next iteration of Xbox an advantage to start the next generation with.

I’m curious if MS is considering ARM for the next xbox? It would make it easier to also have a gaming handheld.

With the way the handheld PC market is shaping up I’m very much suspecting they’ll continue to just lean on 3rd party manufacturers for their handheld needs. With crossplay any handheld PC is basically a portable Xbox anyway.

Phil Spencer has on more than one occasion referred to playing on his ROG Ally, and the Legion Go is shaping up to be pretty great too.

Maybe there’ll be an Xbox branded handheld PC, but even that I think unlikely. At best I suspect we’ll get one from a 3rd party with a “Designed for Xbox” badge, but not an outright Xbox PC handheld.

This is all just complete guesswork on my part based on what seems reasonable to me.

1 Like

Yeah… don’t get me started on ARM and all that you’d lose moving away from AMD and x86; mainly for the same reason Apple still is lagging decades behind in gaming support - devs simply don’t code console/PC games for an architecture that makes a fraction of the user base of those devices. Sure would sit in direct opposition to Phil’s stance on BC to me…

5 Likes

Yeah, the biggest benefit of ARM is energy efficiency, not pure perfromance. Apple made huge gains with the switch to M1 but the next 2 gen upgrades have been very modest. X86’s recent gen on gen gains have been very good. Intel will make a huge leap in efficiency in the next gen with Meteor Lake, so will AMD wth Zen 5.

People also tend to forget that Apple is always using TSMC’s latest node, ahead of AMD/intel and snapdragon, so it’s not always a fair comparison.

With intel’s roadmap in 3 years intel will have fab leadership, so another arm(apple) advantage will be lost. Right in time for choosing a next gen processor for consoles. By 2026, I’m expecting X86 to have much better performance at similar or slightly worse power consumption. Combined with X86’s backwards compatibility, it is almost assured to be in the next Xbox and PS6.

The graphics side arm is still way behind, especially when it comes to modern graphics technologies, Esp against Nvidia (almost 3 gens behind on raytracing). Apple just today introduced mesh shading and ray tracing support; things Xbox series consoles have had for 3 years.

7 Likes

I think AMD is working on an ARM chip that will work with their GPU. I think the next few years for ARM will be interesting.

Based on the earlier posts I have seen, it will probably be Minecraft Dungeons 2.

Thats the big one people always overlook. M3 is on 3nm and can cram billions of transistors more on the same size die than AMD.

But this is also very expensive. Series S like performance cost 699€ (without a controller and only 256 GB storage) in the Mac Mini.

6 Likes

Hoping Microsoft stays with X86. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

This checks in.

But xbox under Phil is also known to reach more players. I can see multi device strategy. Xbox is not shy of it. Maybe or may not be.

Leaving a potential market behind just for BC is not a wise decision.

1 Like

I don’t think they’d do it if they couldn’t figure out BC, it would be a non option.

Back Catalog is too important to Game Pass, can you imagine launching a new console and expecting people to be on a subscription service when the only games available were the launch titles?

4 Likes

As I implied, that’s certainly just one of the many reasons to avoid ARM for console, and several of our members highlighted some of the other reasons - actual gaming performance for ARM chips, even from Apple, is years behind AMD and Nvidia. Can we not do this reductionary tactic where one element is highlighted to attempt to destroy an argument without actually providing insight?

Proof 1: Mesh Shading was heralded by Apple yesterday but this is something that AMD, and subsequently Xbox, has had the capability since 2020.

2 Likes

NVIDIA and AMD will both be making ‘high performance’ ARM chips with their own GPU technologies though.

2 Likes

Apple is behind AMD and Nvidia when compared on laptops and PC where performance per watt is not the major factor for gaming. But Apple is ahead on mobile and so because it has better performance per watt which is essential on mobile devices.

An arm system for wall plugged device does not make sense to me and I am not asking for that. But for mobile, ARM is a better choice.

I am up for more choices and there are different ways to do it.

I’m well aware; it’s still a different architecture; I’m not sure some of you understand, that requires a total shift in dev (API calls, memory allocation/caching, etc.). Furthermore, I’m well aware AMD and Nvidia both already have ARM implementations in addition to their traditional x86 architectures - neither of those companies are abandoning their bread and butter any time soon. Lastly, all this talk about ARM is coming from people who clearly aren’t acknowledging, or are aware of, the major limitations of ARM. I don’t know what to tell you all beyond all the data we have; I personally was aware of the discussions around my previous lab’s first exascale computer… ARM wasn’t even close to a consideration to what AMD was capable with their Epyc platform.

Perhaps the simplest way I can say this is this: ARM isn’t new by a long stretch and if ARM was this magic bullet some of the ignorant think it is, why has everyone not jumped off x86 then?

3 Likes

I’m just so curious about how Xbox will handle mobile. I’m starting to realize just sitting in front of the TV is not something young people do a lot of anymore. I’m shocked people like to watch movies, read books, play games on mobile devices. That why I think Arm will have a future role in Xbox in the future. How big of future who knows?

1 Like

I think Arms could have a big role in the future, but how big is still up in the air.

Well, here is one thing of note: I do have a feeling that Xbox is looking to acquire mobile game studios, both from Asia and Europe. I think they might acquire one of the big leads in mobile games in the form of someone like say Hyperglyph Inc and Studio Montage, studios who are doing the Arknights game and its spinoffs. That’s just one idea to give around that notion.