Xbox Game Studios |OT10| Here are the games

damn you love so much the 360 era lol (pls don’t take it to heart)

1 Like

It’s something I will never really understand, why their marketing is so lacking. Here in the cinema I see PS ads when a big game of theirs (or not theirs) is releasing. Starfield really deserves to be getting lots and lots of marketing. Sure, you got Game Pass, but that’s not enough and even that isn’t getting a lot of ads, at least not here.

Surely Xbox is aware of how they are still not that great at it, so why not learn from it, why not start doing a much better job at it? Like you said, rub it in Sony’s face. We shouldn’t completely write it off. The Redfall staircase was quite cool. Would be nice to just see them doing this more often. God forbid in my country too, The Netherlands.

Phil recently made it clear again that even without ABK they will just continue on, as we all expected, only idiots must have believed Xbox would be done without ABK. But I hope they change a few things, DO go after big publishers and make deals left and right. Yes Atomic Heart is a great get and Wo Long too, but aim even higher I say. Go to Ubi for AC Mirage for example.

We’ll have to wait and see how this whole ABK thing ends, and what they end up doing with all those billions otherwise. But man, I’d love to see the OG Xbox and/or Xbox 360 Microsoft returning. Sony has shown what the are all about, those bridges for sure have been burned now, any goodwill left now gone, go hard.

I’m guessing that they felt really sure about ABK. But even before ABK was a thing they weren’t really doing this, were they? I’m sure it can’t be cheap to have big third party games on your service day one, but they do have the money.

In the Xbox One era we had MS getting Rise of the Tomb Raider a year exclusive and I believe they partly funded it too? But they’ve really stepped away from it. We can hope all we want for them to change their ways, but it’s probably not gonna happen. Still, if ABK really doesn’t succeed, then I really hope XGS can get to a point where they release their games on time and multiple a year, if MS really isn’t gonna well…become a bit more like Sony.

Maybe some things will change, because I really don’t believe we are at that point with XGS yet, this June will make a lot more clear on that.

It would be interesting if they did considering Starwars and it’s performance issues and it sits at an 87.

2 Likes

I dunno , I feel like I heard the phrase “Arcane don’t miss” a large number of times before Redfall. I have yet to play any of their games BTW.

1 Like

Here’s the thing, though. The more they have droughts and lose market share, the more easier it is for PlayStation to do third party deals and harder it becomes for Xbox. It becomes a snowball effect and it’s no one but Xbox’s fault. You should do third party deals before it’s too late.

6 Likes

I think they have some in the works with Contraband, wu-tang game, and project Belfry. However, it won’t hurt to have more and fund these studios if they need it. I’ve noticed Koei Tecmo might be the perfect candidate for that. They used EA for Wild Heart and Sony for Rise of the Ronin. I think there are publishers like that willing to create stuff if you foot the bill, and that is some things Microsoft may need to add to their mix.

Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, SO. They partly funded some of these too. This is the MS I want to see return. I just hope they got some interesting plans now that it seems ABK isn’t gonna happen, or well, not anytime soon likely.

2 Likes

They have been doing some, but not to the extent of PlayStation. Also, PlayStation third party deals are not guaranteed successes either (say hello to Forspoken).

It’s always interesting to see people mention games skipping Xbox, but never do the same for games skipping PlayStation. High on Life, anyone? Everyone thought it would just come and go, but 7.5+ million players show otherwise.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah, Microsoft foot the bill for those games you mentioned which gave Xbox One a strong start in output. However, sales lagged due to everything outside of software output.

Like I mentioned we have some games they funded, but I think there’s nothing wrong with footing the bill for third party to create games because it helps add content between 1st party output.

I have a feeling this is gonna become something big for gaming. It could be really goddamned great, especially so for huge RPGs such as from the Godd.

6 Likes

Sorry, not happening. Y’all got to accept this. Xbox makes LESS money long term doing this

1 Like

This is nuts lol.

2 Likes

Xbox will lose even more money once they lose even more market share and lose more third party games, if they are not willing to cover droughts. Consumers will just switch at the start of a new gen due to loss of confidence in a product.

I’m not asking get for lots of third party money hats just to cover any droughts. This isn’t a big ask.

4 Likes

The 4D chess move here is when Xbox goes third party.

3 Likes

It truly is.

And we know Todd really intended for some really impressive AI in Oblivion, I can only imagine what kind of ideas he must have for TES VI. Throughout their games we’ve seen nice improvements made, but I think TES VI will have us very impressed here. I expect improvement for Starfield too, but maybe not a super huge change, I mean, he didn’t really talk much about AI last E3 or in interviews. Maybe in June?

1 Like

Nice post! Covers a lot of things about Xbox

If you interested in reading some useful marketing tips? You all welcome here

1 Like

None of it hitting this year though. Meanwhile Xbox has had a fairly steady cadence of games starting in January. Only thing I know of this year for PS5 is Horizon DLC , Spiderman and FF16 . If Xbox release year looked that way everyone and their mother would be bitching about it. Hell If I didn’t know any better going by online discourse I would think that Sony were dropping game after game and all xbox had was one big game coming and nothing else.

7 Likes

Ghostwire Tokyo (77), As Dusk Falls (76) and Minecraft Legends (73) are all under an 80 on Open Critic and while not great, those are still good to very good scores and as long as Microsoft doesn’t have any 50 or 60 rated games this generation, then I would say that they’re doing much better than last generation.

As for the PR death spiral, I understand it because once the news came out that there was no 60FPS option for Redfall until a later date, in all honesty, it lowered my expectations for the second year in a row. Last year after Redfall/Starfield were delayed, I went into the showcase with low expectations and I was still greatly disappointed because it was nothing more than an Indies/AA Game Pass showcase and it’s like, yeah, I get it. Game Pass is their focus but come on man. No major AAA third party games, no marketing deals, no nothing. Just mehness across the board. 2022 was the worse Xbox showcase since I think 2016 or 2017. I forget which as I would have to re-watch them again.

Fast forward to now and especially after CMA blocked the ABK deal, it just seems to all be going downhill and while regulators and others are telling Microsoft to do it the “Sony” way, I know they’re not going to do it that way so instead of having major AAA third party multi-platform titles and a few of them being exclusive, it’s probably going to be yet another AA/Indies showcase.

I’m sorry if im being very negative but im more “down” on Xbox now for the last year than I was the first 8 months of the generation because while Gears Tactics was literally the only first party launch title, delaying Halo Infinite was the right call and while it should have been delayed another year in my opinion, with console launches, it’s always about the long term confidence in the product that you’re buying.

This is why im “low” with Redfall. This way if it hits mid-70’s, it was expectation so no biggie but if it scores low to mid 80’s, I can start getting a little more positive and confident in their showcase if that makes any sense.

But we’ll see. I’m expecting reviews on Monday but if it’s Tuesday, that doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.