Xbox Game Studios |OT10| Here are the games

I think its 32 million actual. The leaderboards were always 10% behind the PR after launch.

ye, I just like going off the leaderboards as we can see it update in real time, well not real time as you said its delayed but we can actually see the number.

Fargo said they weren’t expecting to grow much in the short term, and he considers their games big already, but it could get better in other areas.

1 Like

Nice over 400k people have already jumped into the new FH5 DLC, 2.5M so far has played the Hot Wheels DLC.

8 Likes

IMO inXile’s game is late 2024 at the earliest, but probably first half 2025.

[Brian Fargo in November 2018]

Are you working on something now?

Brian Fargo: Well, we’ve had a project in development for some time we haven’t announced that they’re quite keen on, so we’ll be looking at that and saying, ‘Okay, what does this product look like now we’re going to be given extra time and resources?’ Evaluating how we could make it better.

So what sort of size are you looking to bulk up to?

Brian Fargo: In the short-term we talk about increasing it 30 per cent or so. We’re not trying to become multi-hundred-person teams but just filling the holes we’ve been desperately wanting to: having a full-time audio person, having a full-time lighting person, having a cinematics person - these things that could help us improve what we’re doing.

Does it mean the size of projects you’ll attempt will be bigger?

Brian Fargo: Our games are pretty big as they are, in terms of hour count. Wasteland 2 was 80-100 hours for most people so I don’t think we need to push ‘big’ in that regard. But we want to bring up our visual style and also make sure our launches are smoother.

There’s a lot of things Microsoft [offers]. As an example, let’s say we’re doing controller support for Bard’s Tale 4. They have a whole user group; let’s put it in front of these psychologists and gamers they have they up there and see what they like and what they hate, and really hone it in before we release to the public. Things of that nature allow us to hone our craft.

3 Likes

Brian Fargo in August 2020:

… at the same time, we have a product that we sort of hinted about that’s going to be coming out several years from now, and I’m already thinking about what comes out six years from now.

1 Like

Whether it comes earlier or later, I’m glad that the team and MS are happy with the progress and the state of the game.

some people like sloth called their next game to be steampunk just because an inxile employee had a concept art showing victorian-era bulding and airship. not because an insider/linkedin had said so.

3 Likes

I was thinking about that too and it is indeed weird since AFAIK InXile didn’t suddenly become a AAA studio in terms of head count…that being said maybe we are looking at a situation similar to Perfect Dark with InXile joining forces with some big support studio like Crystal Dynamics (and I am assuming other smaller support studios too).

I am really curious to see InXile’s new game though, sure the tweets about it are not much to talk about but they sound really excited about this!

1 Like

I think the other option is sponger is full of crap and the game isn’t a big AAA ambitious game and we’ll all be disappointed (at least initially) when its revealed haha

3 Likes

I’m expecting it to be a bioshock sort of game. Also for a top down game wasteland 3 is extremely ambitious. The amount of choice and consequence and reactivity from decisions is a lot.

inXile has doubled in size at least since acquisition. They have between 120 and 150 employees, which is more than enough for a big AAA game given they have time at Xbox. We know for instance that Obsidian has less people than that on Avowed and TOW2.

1 Like

I was playing Fable 3 the other day with my girlfriend whos never played a Fable game. The coop aspect is great and I’m glad that Fable 2 and 3 both have it, if the new one doesn’t include any form of local coop or online coop I’ll be quite disappointed. It won’t be the end of the world, but Fable is such a fantastic game to play in local coop.

Was it Jez or Sponger that said that InXile’s project was the most expensive XGS project? I definitely remember reading it somewhere but can’t remember the sauce.

Sponger

4 Likes

That may happen too for sure, I hope this is not the case though! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Isn’t 120-150 on the low side for a AAA game nowadays? but yeah with the option to have multiple support studios outsourcing/helping with a project supposedly 150 employees may be more than enough.

OK thanks. Sponger is an iffy source so I guess we’ll have to wait and see what InXile have cooking up.

inXile is know to be very efficient, they can do more than other studios with less head count.

Matt Booty:

We had all our studio heads together and inXile showed a vertical slice of their next game… And everyone was kinda blown away. … If there was a measure of the coolness of what you create as a ratio to how many people are working on it, that studio has to win a prize. Because they just get the absolute most out of everybody, and make the most focused use of the resources that they’ve got. You know, Brian Fargo leading that studio is just a a master class in: “These are the resources that I’ve got, these are the constraints that I’ve got, this os how big I am, ok, what the best thing that I could do with that”

9 Likes

Yeah, most studios don’t have as much luxury for time or contractor usage. Xbox can handle if this game doesn’t release until 2026-2027.

2 Likes