Xbox Game Studios |OT| Halo...is it me you’re looking for?

Yeah especially with the sequel coming eventually. Blade could also be cool, with the reboot movie coming.

I have no problem with studios like Remedy and Moon Studios moving on after having done games with Microsoft’s publishing arm. It’s healthy growth of the industry and encourages studios to work with Microsoft. Not every successful Microsoft partner has to become a first party studio.

We should just see publishing deals like that all the time. Currently the biggest publishing deal seems to be Microsoft Flight Simulator (and maybe we should count Age of Empires 4 too, even if that moved to World’s Edge)

I remember E3 2016, where we had the following games by non-MS studios

• ReCore
  • Scalebound
  • Forza Horizon 3
  • State of Decay 2

The only first party games from Microsoft Studios (at the time) we saw at that show were Sea of Thieves and Gears of War 4.

Now, times have changed. But I do hope to see games like these come from publishing again.

2 Likes

Yeah definitely, and still got a couple this year (Tell Me Why, Battletoads and Gears Tactics are partially 3rd party lol). I’d like to see a big one like Ninja Gaiden or Mass Effect, that would be good for Game Pass.

Oh, I’m not hating on projects like Tell Me Why or the recent As Dusk Falls at all. I think those kind of projects really enhance Game Pass. But I’d love to see them take on a bigger project again like Quantum Break, Ryse, Sunset Overdrive or ReCore.

2 Likes

Yep, and I do think they have at least 1-2 in the oven. Maybe too early to show, or they’re keeping them for later.

2 Likes

As good as getting those deals like Tell Me Why, As Dusk Falls and others are, I would much rather see Microsoft acquire studios instead because those games are basically a one and done for Game Pass where as acquiring studios is for the overall long term. Getting an Ori and Ori 2 is great but I must admit that im disappointed that Microsoft didn’t lock them down to at least be exclusive to Xbox/PC even if they didn’t acquire them.

Take Splash Damage for example. Looks like they will be acquired by Tencent once they acquire Leyou but while they were making Gears Tactics, I would have tried to acquire them because imagine Halo Tactics or other turn based strategy RPG’s based on the IP’s that Microsoft owns. Also, Iron Galaxy did an excellent job with Season 2 and 3 of Killer Instinct and while im not a fighting game fan, I do believe that Microsoft should have acquired them or worked out an exclusive deal for Killer Instinct 2.

Just personally, I would focus more on the studios that have already proven valuable to the Xbox platform first and then, once that’s done…meaning, acquired or a long term multi-game exclusive deal, then I would look at other studios for Game Publishing.

3 Likes

You’re assuming they haven’t tried to do these things. I’m sure you know this already, but Developers have to want to be acquired/work out deals for these things to happen. Since MS and these developers will probably never discuss their behind the scene dealings, it leaves us as fans wondering why they didn’t do things that they probably did try to do.

I also think we get so caught up in the idea of MS acquiring studios that we forget they have a budget, and again, we really have no idea what that is or where the money goes through their various deals.

2 Likes

I agree and they probably did try to acquire or work out long term deals but Moon Studios for example signed a deal with Private Division. I would think that Microsoft would match or surpass what they offered unless Moon Studios just wanted to go multi-platform which is disappointing but understandable.

I’m really really stoked to discover Halo Infinite world. Full of mysteries, new things to interact with, new gameplay systems and especially this metroidvania style feeling. Don’t you?

If you watch carefully the 8min demo, despite the visuals which might be disappointing to some, you can see lots of details like the warthog’s tire blowing up, the brute holding his back when shot because…it hurts lol, all the enemies blown away by the explosions, the brute stumbling when shot in the legs while running, etc and many others…Can you imagine all the gameplay possibilities with the grappling hook too?

Without mentioning the day&night cycle and maybe a weather system plus the ability of going underwater all of that sounds amazing!

I think on the emergent gameplay side the game will truly shine. Excited to interact with the A.I since I always loved the A.I in the Halo games. Lots of things to be excited for!

:hi:

2 Likes

One that that really excites me is the sheer amount of encounter variety we’ll (hopefully) see.

You have the banished with an entire group of different enemies. I don’t think 343 would spend two games working on the prometheans and abandon them, so you have those as well. And then considering where the game is located, Flood seem pretty likely.

I don’t think I’m going to be bored of this game any time soon.

2 Likes

It might have come down to IP ownership. But yeah, I think Moon might have just wanted to be multiplat as well. It’s honestly what I would want to do if I was confident in my brand/team.

Who owns the Ori IP? Is it Microsoft or Moon Studios? Anyone know?

Microsoft.

Okay. So there could be an Ori 3 but probably not by Moon?

Sure. But to be fair I think Ori is done for the forseeable future. Moon is making an ARPG and I’m sure Microsoft is not gonna put the IP to some other developer.

Which is fine to be honest. Games don’t need endless sequels.

1 Like

Agreed. And wow, Moon is developing an action RPG? Didn’t know that. Definitely interested in that.

Subscribed.

Just read both of those articles. Action RPG and it’s a new IP is very nice which I guess is expected since Moon only has Ori but still, great news and looking forward to seeing what their action RPG ends up being. Thanks for the articles.

2 Likes

This go hard

5 Likes