Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

Ubisoft Games wile some people don’t like them Are very popular

1 Like

Yep. Personally I just think they get the hard end of the stick.

The same could be said with many games, I know lots of people who hate CoD but it’s still the top seller (every year!!!).

Sony have recently copied Ubisoft’s style and even the mechanics nearly 1:1 but those don’t seem to get the same criticisms as Ubisoft.

I personally can’t stand Fortnite BR yet there it is at #1 most popular (as usual). In fact Epic Games are at #1, #2 and #13 which is bonkers when so many people put them down too!

Exactly & thus that is why MS will look to buy Ubisoft if it becomes available after the Activision goes through and is finalize

3 Likes

I personally have little to no interest in Ubisoft, but they obviously have a lot of talent and valuable IP.

I still personally think Microsoft would be best off using their money elsewhere, but clearly Ubisoft wouldn’t be a bad get either… assuming Microsoft will be able to handle fixing two major companies at once (if Ubisoft is acquired soon after the ABK deal closes).

6 Likes

By elsewhere? what do you have in mind

1 Like

I personally really enjoy Ubisoft games but if there was a choice between SEGA and Ubisoft, I would probably be swayed towards SEGA (although I personally think Ubisoft would sell more subs!).

There are still some studios like Asobo which I would love to see under Xbox (but I would want Focus Entertainment - with the Plague Tale IP too).

3 Likes

I mean they still have some of the best selling games normally so I think it tell us they are still really big

I just said they fit it too, nothing on their quality

I wouldn’t say it like its definitely going to happen, their are a ton of potential targets which are just as good or better than Ubisoft . The biggest plus for Ubisoft though is their huge stock drop

Same tbh. I don’t dislike them but I don’t care at all about them

1 Like

Who? i can’t see much of anyone else that is in Ubisoft price range wile having popular games that are on the most played games list

I never said anything about their price range cos that doesn’t feel like an argument after ABK. For their price rage they are probably the best, the only one I would argue maybe better is capcom and once again, I am bias

Capcom is very much out of the question they are tied to the Switch with Monster Hunter and other games they make exclusive for the Switch

1 Like

I guess activision was off the table because of the CoD stuff with sony or zenimax cos they were getting timed exclusivty. Microsoft is investing long term so this isn’t an a good argument

1 Like

My point wasn’t about quality either but quantity :wink:. I personally think there is isn’t a better publisher around right now than Ubisoft to ramp up their volume of AAA releases.

Quality is always subjective as a bad game for one gamer is another gamers favourite new game.

I agree with you that EA are able to release volume but I don’t think the same could be said for T2 at the moment. They recently announced plans to ramp up their quantity but for now the past few years haven’t demonstrated that IMO.

Timed exclusive & marketing deals are different wile capcom make full exclusive for Switch it different

1 Like

There are some independent partners I think could both bring a lot of value to Microsoft and also gain a lot from an acquisition:

• Armature Studio, LLC (did a lot of support work for Xbox, one of the lead devs on ReCore)

• Asobo Studio (obvious pick for obvious reasons)

• Certain Affinity (strong support studio for both XGS and ABK, working on original project with Xbox and Halo BR)

• CyberConnect2 (has shown interest in releasing their own games over recent years and have been showing interest in experimentation, their last game Fuga: Melodies of Steel was a critical darling but hadn’t made its money back last we heard)

• DON’TNOD (one of those “we want to stay independent” companies I see potentially changing their minds down the road, clearly know how to craft narrative heavy experiences including visual novel-esque titles and even RPGs)

• Frontier Developments (has worked heavily with Microsoft both on a first and third party basis, makes widely popular sim/tycoon like games)

• Hello Games (No Man’s Sky is incredibly popular, you can tell they’re not a one trick studio when you look at their output, could really benefit on Game Pass if they try something else on the scale of NMS)

• IO Interactive (have shown they have the stealth playground genre on lock, testing themselves currently on 007 and an action RPG, might already be on the way to acquisition although they told us otherwise in the past)

• Moon Studios (if Microsoft is interested in getting hands on with a studio they were once close with, this might be the one)

• Neon Giant (worked on The Ascent which they built up within about 3 years, highly efficient for a new studio)

• PlatinumGames (down in the dumps in recent years, we have seem them make amazing games before, might be more of a wildcard nowadays)

• Supergiant Games (haven’t released a bad game yet, Hades was huge for them too, they’ve also have been very weirdly close with Xbox on a couple occasions which might just be them playing it up for fans)

• Supermassive Games (able to work on annual releases, the extra resources may help clear their technical issues)

When it comes to publishers, most of them make a lot of sense for Microsoft due to the amount of staffing and IP that would immediately come with. I just feel a publisher that seems to have little to no issues would be a better purchase. We all could list off at least a couple problems with Ubisoft, but that might also just make them prime time for a buyout too.

Personally, for publishers I think the best ones would be:

• CAPCOM (much like SEGA, has numerous beloved IP, some of which translate enormously well worldwide)

• Pearl Abyss (creates popular online games like Black Desert Online/Eve Online, South Korea could be a major developer hot spot for Microsoft)

• SEGA (personal favorite pick, probably the closest relationship to Xbox out of all the current pubs, lots of room to grow with a bunch of beloved IP, plus ATLUS)

• Take Two (supposedly has many projects in development between internal and external partners, Rockstar Games is one of those few studios/pubs that may outshine their parent company)

These are just the ones that come immediately to mind. There’s a lot of potential out there that can give Microsoft big IP, new IP, and plenty of additional resources.

12 Likes

A great list but

Moon Studio and Xbox now have beef and is no longer working with each other so you can cross that one off the list

I cannot see for the life of me Capcom happening i would be happy if im wrong on this but they are tied to Nintendo

Sega is the most likely of the Japanese game company cause they are the one most close with Microsoft/Xbox

Pearl Abyss mostly make MMO so all their games will still release on all platform so make little sense in buying when your already getting their games anyways

Take 2 is the mother of all get even if GTA 6 stays on all platform that is the one buy where even if the game stay on all platform it would still be worth it alone just to get GTA6 on Gamepass day 1 it would double or even triple Gamepass subs overnight

Asobo, Certain Affinity, IO, Neon Giant, i can see MS buying them all at once like how they bought all them developers in 2018 and announce at E3

Supermassive Games im not sure they did make a exclusive game for Sony

4 Likes

As far as big acquisitions go, they really need to go Japanese imo. Sega and Capcom are the obvious favorites, and considering the good relationship Sega has with Microsoft, Capcom almost makes more sense to lock down although part of me still would prefer Sega to happen.

Platinum games though, while a wildcard, has proven themselves to make incredible games in the past. I think they try to take on more than they can handle though, and being under MS with infinite ressources and time, they could be able to release quality product that people expect put of a studio of their pedigree. They also would cost a lot less than Sega and Capcom and would take away a bit from Square Enix/Sony at the same time as SE and PG have worked a lot in the past on exclusives for Sony so that’d definitely help out on the MS side as it’s a double whammy.

1 Like

fair

no it isn’t, its the same thing. Nintendo paid for it much like how sony paid for that, the fact games like resident evil 4 remake and resident evil 8 not being on switch kind of show that it ain’t a bigger thing, regardless you are bring up mute points because the convosation wasn’t on chance

1 Like

It not being on Switch my guess is cause the Switch Hardware is too weak to run it

Capcom would need to invest major time and money into making a impossible port or a cloud version which is not worth it in their end i guess

cloud versions, RE7 got one so they can definitely do it (I believe its Japan exclusive) but then you also have stuff like DMC 4 and 5 not being on switch and ace attorney no longer being exclusive which trample over this idea. Capcom and Nintendo definitely have a strong relationship, I am not going to deny that, but its all about money and MS can force their hand by offering enough money since the only reason they exist is to maximise shareholder wealth.

Also I don’t want to get into the SEGA discussion again but you said “Sega is the most likely of the Japanese game company” despite them having a similar situation to capcom with Nintendo (arguably more so)

DMC4 i can see being native but DMC5 will need a cloud version & yeah money talks but i think for MS to get Capcom they would have to overpaid big time plus would have to keep everything on Nintendo as is cause Nintendo has major pull with capcom