Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

Take Two is next!! From portfolio perspective , T2 brings massive stuff to xbox, from one of the best indie publisher (Private Division) to the only studio(Rockstar) I would consider overshadows anything Sony has. And not to mention they own Zynga which MS is trying their best to get into the mobile space. T2 checks a lot of boxes in the imaginary checklist for Xbox.

I’m still pretty sure that they’ll grab a few independent studios next, such as Certain Affinity, Asobo and maybe a Japanese studio or two. As far as publishers though, pretty sure next one will be down to Take 2, EA, Capcom or Sega. Pretty sure thats about the list that interests them at this point.

5 Likes

After King acquisition, they won’t be in that much rush to get mobile publishers.

once again, I was talking if an acquisition happened for T2

Agreed, granted I could see timed exclusivity

When I went over Take Two they were one of the best buys (number 3 behind Nintendo which I am not getting into and EA). From what we can tell MS is looking for 5 thing those being (I scored each section too on a scale of 0-5)

• Longjevity-which T2 easily ticks with their annual sports games selling really well, the act GTA 5 has stayed relivent for years and GTA online. They got an easy 5 here

• Player count-once again, easily ticks with multiple zynga mobile games having 100+ Million downloads, Rockstar games selling insanely well even years after release, the sports games and rockstar online titles. Once again, easy 5

• Franchises with legacy-do I even need to explain this, Rockstar alone gives them a 5

• Content that appeals to Japan-This is one of the less important factors in my opinion but…a 0

• E rated content-they don’t have much…but in my research I found out they had a bit like carnival games is 2K which suprised me, you could argue the sports games and you could argue some of Zyngas games so I gave them a 3

This left them wih a score of 18/25

I agree that they aren’t rushing for more mobile studio’s but its still a plus to T2, that is undeniable

When they’ve been very clear multiple times that it will stay multi-platform?

Rolls eyes

The best we will get for quite some time is exclusive modes, weapons or skins etc. Maybe a free battle pass too.

I don’t think they will slow down with Mobile tbh! It’s their biggest potential market. King needs to either expand rapidly (like Zynga are doing) or produce more products outside of Candy Crush and Bubble Witch.

3 Likes

How about others indie developers that are not so likely to get bought such as studio mdhr or armature

Yeah I’m sure there are lots of others, I’d just be hard pressed to list them all. I could easily see Xbox picking up a dozen independents.

2 Likes

COD is not the single game. It is a set of games. With Warzone 1, Warzone 2, upcoming zombie F2P and who knows what else - ther is no point in not keeping mainline COD exclusive :man_shrugging: Especially with it stopping being annual.

But these debates are old, I not planning to engage in it with you.

1 Like

Sorry but I just think it’s naive to still argue that point when Xbox has come out so many times to already clear this up.

To be clear, Microsoft will continue to make Call of Duty and other popular Activision Blizzard titles available on PlayStation through the term of any existing agreement with Activision. And we have committed to Sony that we will also make them available on PlayStation beyond the existing agreement and into the future so that Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love.

There is a clear reason you would keep it multi-platform…

I also suggest you to read that and then compare with what Jimbo said regarding Bungie. Anyway, this topic is beaten to death, I see no point in opening the debates on that. I think we even agreed to disagree on that months ago lol

(Also argument about money, reminds me of “leaving the money on the table”. I hope nobody expects Microsoft to get returns from 70b acquisition from sales on Playstation :joy: We will be close to the next century for that to finally happen)

Also don’t expect any exclusive COD perks (modes, weapons etc.) for Xbox - Microsoft doesn’t like splintering the communities (and exclusive modes and arguably weapons do exactly that). They are not Sony after all. I am not even sure - did TESO or FO76 had anything exclusive to Xbox at this point?

I don’t get how Bungie is relevant to Xbox stating CoD will stay on PlayStation during and after any current agreement?

Call of Duty is one of the top selling games on PS (if not highest). Selling over 12-15 million copies per release (plus all their in-game transactions) it would be a massive hit to Activision’s revenue on top of the potential losses from GamePass inclusion to make it exclusive. It would also be naive to think all 15 million PS players would go buy an Xbox straight away to play it.

I doubt we will get exclusive content either I was saying that is the best case scenario as exclusivity isn’t one.

The point of Bungie is the difference in their statements.

Does not matter because ABK will be owned by Microsoft. By the same logic, Starfield not coming to Playstation will be a hit to Bethesda revenue no? Future TES or Fallout games too…Revenue is the last thing we should be concerned right now regarding whatever Microsoft is doing right now. MTX in Warzone is the huge (if not biggest) chunk of revenue for COD anyway.

15m? Probably not. But if at least 1.5-3m people switch to Xbox (or buy Series S as a partner console) is a huge benefit to Xbox ecosystem.

Anyway, this discussion is not for that topic. No point in discussing it there.

Saying you think COD will be exclusive (it obviously won’t) and then when someone disagrees and shows actual statements from Xbox execs to counter that viewpoint you say you dont want to discuss it any more?

Maybe stop mentioning it then, lol. Pretty sure i see you make this point multiple times a week

5 Likes

Nah, the point is that this was discussed so many times here so there is no point to discuss it further as we are going nowhere there at this point people don’t agree with each other on an ideological level basically.

I of course will continue to mention that mainline COD will become exclusive. Especially with COD stopping being annual :man_shrugging: Anyway with COD being bound to contractual obligations for the next year, nothing will change until 2024-2025.

//////

On a separate topic, interesting that there was not any acquisition from other big players as of recently. I guess only Embracer acquired Square West and that was it? (it was 2 months already)

Nope. Activision Blizzard acquired a company.

3 Likes

That was a small move. I was more talking about bigger fish. Like for example Tencent is relatively silent these days.

• Sony is busy with Bungie
  • Microsoft is busy with ABK
  • Embracer is busy with Square West

Also I wonder if there is a bloodbath regarding WB.

Perhaps small move, but Activision Blizzard is “a big player”.

2 Likes

Inflation and the markets retracting makes nobody want to sell or buy. Most company’s will sell for less and most company’s won’t have access to the same funds they did 1-2 years ago due to the overall marketing shrinking

Is the market shrinking though? Granted people will probably have less money to spend on gaming due to inflation and rising prices.

Also indeed the company evaluation tanked heavily in comparison to the last year. Crazy even.

I did the math on this before. Microsoft would have to sell 1 billion copies of Call of Duty at $70 each to recoup that money…and since Sony takes 30% of every copy they actually need to sell 1.3 billion copies of CoD to make it back.

Obviously thats not happening. I also dont see Playstation CoD thriving…its a $70 game, PC, Xbox and Mobile will play it through gamepass.