Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

3 Likes

It definitely sounds like India will be a market MS has plans on getting into for video games and with a billion people it definitely is a smart one to get into too.

5 Likes

I agree. India will be a smart market to get into and it would be the perfect opportunity to build their own studio there and get more of a foothold into the Asian market.

3 Likes
10 Likes

Weird tweet, as the Source Exputer article is from March 30, 2022. Original Tweet about this:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1509258114142552074

With several Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and Respawn members creating a new studio called Wildlight I wonder if this should be a studio MS should be looking to buy or at the very least work with them on a game. People want Cinematic games on Xbox and clearly this team would know how to make one.

1 Like
1 Like

Who wants cinematic games on Xbox? You mean like Sony?

Why?

1 Like

Because it’s nice to have an ecosystem that caters to all

8 Likes

Why wouldn’t there be people who want cinematic games on Xbox? They’re clearly popular enough on Playstation for there to be an audience. Plus I think the goal for Xbox should be to have a diverse range of content, which could include cinematic games. Bonus points if they can do it without changing any of their current first party studios.

8 Likes

Xbox has the YouTube app for that… :troll:

3 Likes

Ok, I get some tongue-in-cheek here, and it made me laugh (thank you!). Then, I thought about it a second, less reactionary time and thought, you’re right! Even if I think about games I’d like to play (God of War, maybe) reading on the linear and button mashing aspect of it, I would probably be better off watching it on YouTube during slower hours at work!:rofl:

(That’s a bit of sarcasm and jest. Please, dear readers, don’t take it too literally or seriously.)

A lot of people want those games and it was a big reason people wanted Microsoft to buy Square Enix West instead of Embracer.

I can’t wait till Ninja Theory gets HellBlade out the door so people can stop begging for "cinematic " walk n talks.

4 Likes

With the type of game I expect Helblade to be thematically, I think that it will fall into that dreaded, “doesn’t count” category, so the lamenting will continue unabated.

3 Likes

People want Xbox to mimic Sony, which isn’t a good idea. At all. Xbox needs to keep doing what their doing. Their already diverse, moreso than the others. I don’t mind 3rd person narrative games. I dig em! But not at the expense of trying to mimic Sony. Microsoft would be slaughtered by the gaming community.

Clearly Microsoft is a bit nervous doing them, themselves. Look at Quantum Break. A great 3rd person narrative game and gamers crucified it to hell and back. There were others as well. Just saying…

3 Likes

To me it seems there are lots of people who refuse to accept the idea that the more popular console is a bit chicken and egg. Is it because of the games it has or do the games it has become more popular because the console brand is?

Xbox had a unique set of conditions in 2005 that allowed them a years early launch with easier to use hardware and the platform of Xbox live. Everything was focussed on the games they had because they were the big show in town in some markets. Call of duty went mainstream. Online games became massive drivers to consoles. RPGs became huge. Sony clawed it back in their own way by appealing to a crowd of more grown up gamers who wanted more story driven cinematic experiences. Then Xbox absolutely fluffed their next gen and Sony became dominant.

The argument for me is even if you completely swapped first party’s round Xbox would still be second and Sony still the stronger brand and the justification used would be about a stronger studio line up and more variety. Because ultimately barring a disaster Sony are a very strong console brand and probably are always going to lead the ‘premium console market’ sales whatever anyone else does.

If they launch a year late at a crazy high price and annoy people then Xbox can do better. But short of that I don’t think it matters what studios Xbox has bar maybe making things like call of duty and FIFA exclusive to their ecosystem forever and just forcing the casual audience over. But basically I think people put way too much weight on the games Sony have. Yes they are quality games but would they shift the needle the other way round if everything else was equal? No. I don’t think you can make a case they would. Even if MS has bought ABK and made every title instantly exclusive few people are arguing that would drastically reduce the deficit in the console space and even if it did it might be more Xbox growth rather than Sony contraction.

2 Likes

I still don’t understand this narrative as if Sony invented the genre. People like 3rd person narrative games…it’s not copying/mimicking Sony just because Sony does a good job of catering to what seems to garner gamers admiration.

Furthermore, I think Xbox struggles in the 3rd person narrative genre because they almost never follow up, who’s going to care about QB2 12 years after the first. Ryse is already on 10 years, ReCore (a game all the execs said they thought had potential) has been dead silent. They need to commit to characters and IP’s in the genre and stop chasing Twitch views. Just my opinion.

4 Likes

Like you said, it’s your opinion…

Again though, seems Xbox always gets crushed when they attempt 3rd person narrative driven games. Hence, why they don’t stick with them. This is not to say I don’t enjoy 3rd person narrative driven games. Only that they seem to get a lot of hate on Xbox and (imo) it’s because some gamers feel threatened for Sony by them.

I’m rocking Quantum Break right now, for the third time, and I’m still baffled it hasn’t become a franchise. Great game with one of the best science fiction stories ever told in my book.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. Can’t wait to listen, I’d assume it’s alot of predictable stuff (if your following A & M trends).