Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

It is an easy pass though? We have seen with CADE that as by all the metrics ABK was not a problem for them at all. We have yet to see FTC and EU conclusion but I don’t envision any problems there.

For me EA has always been out of question for Microsoft for various reasons. T2 is debatable but after ABK deal, they really don’t need anything else on the west for now.

Isn’t that just the general market share across Europe? If you look at the top selling games in Spain it’s almost identical to the wider European charts e.g. FIFA, CoD, Nintendo & Ubisoft titles.

I can’t think of any notable Spanish game studios outside of perhaps BlitWorks and MercurySteam.

The idea is about the content. Diversity of content is important. Countries like Africa or India does not have big established studios on the level of Ubisoft, EA or Capcom and a lot of emergent markets are mobile first too.

I think Microsoft will invest there - tie them to their software or platform and so on - but acquisitions will come from big established markets. And also due to “mobile first” it is important for Microsoft to have a strong position there - like with King as King brings big mobile expertise which would allow to build ties with mobile developers for example.

1 Like

That would be cool. And Ebb Software could be a great fit for improving the Hive environments in Gears by giving it more of an artistic horror atmosphere.

And I didn’t mind Scorn being a puzzle game but a lot of the negative feedback for the game was because most people were expecting Scorn to be a survival horror game.

While I agree that it is too early for Ebb Software to be considered an acquisition target I do think they would still be a great fit for partnering on another game. Since Microsoft doesn’t really have their own horror studio especially now that Tango Gameworks want to move away from making horror games.

Also Xbox and Ebb Software seem to fit really well together.

https://twitter.com/inxile/status/1580945633527013376?s=46&t=Xs_eNUNciKf0Kb9EWyiJTg

https://twitter.com/scorn_game/status/1579503699725930496?s=46&t=Xs_eNUNciKf0Kb9EWyiJTg

6 Likes

Inxile twitter account is brilliant

5 Likes

Interesting thought indeed!

I have seen in other industries that some form of approval was still required, for example:

@profjjj do you know how this would work?

2 Likes

The short answer is no. In the U.S. buyers have to file with the SEC as soon as they acquire more than 5% of a firm. They have to amend this filing if their holdings go above 10%. These filings are mostly of the FYI variety. However, at a certain point of ownership the regulatory bodies will start treating it just like an acquisition - requiring approvals, etc. Notice in the article you linked, Buffett had to get approval to acquire 50%.

From a legal standpoint, you control a firm as soon as you have a 50% voting stake + 1 additional share. So regulators don’t really care if you have 51% or 75% or 100%.

10 Likes

Thanks @profjjj that’s really helpful, always appreciate your insight :+1:

7 Likes

There is a rumour spreading that someone is trying to buy cdpr. Seems BS, rumours for acquisitions aren’t a thing tbh.

I also have more faith in techlands (dying light) fantasy rpg then cdpr as they got a lot of witcher devs.

A lot of devs left cdpr after the cyberpunk fiasco, is it even the same team anymore?.

I commented in this thread ages ago that Sony will likely go for CDPR it fits some of the standards and gives them a big RPG competitor to Bethesda, not to mention they are undervalued right now. I got a fair bit of criticism for saying it too.

Note I’d rather CDPR stay how they are.

5 Likes

Iv been saying that as well. As much as id like to see xbox get them if I were sony Id put CD as a big target on my list. Big third person story driven graphically good wrpg

1 Like

Probably would make sense for Sony, but usually when stuff leaks - it is not happening.

1 Like

Honestly, it doesn’t tell much. A lot of chatter could litteraly comes from nothing. And he says it could be nothing or someone sniffing around, but that could be anybody.

4 Likes

most of these aquisitions come out of knowwhere. I never heard anything about bethesda activision doublefine for xbox. there were rumrs of obsidian and playground. ninja therory was a surprise as well. for sony them buying bungie came out of knowwhere same with moth of the studios they have acquired. Bluepoint and house marquee people always guessed. sony and mcrosoft always talk to these developers but until its announced I dont worry about it

I mean no buyouts ever leaked and David Jaffe is not a source he’s just a former developer who worked with Sony. But when we talk about redemption of this kind for several billion there is only an extremely closed circle of people who are informed. All the insiders, influencers, podcasters who will tell you that they have heard rumors of takeovers of multi-billion publishers or studios will be mere lies to generate clicks on their podcasts. Moreover CD Projekt is not for sale, it is the most valuable company in Poland and is therefore protected by the Polish state.

1 Like

Yep. As we’ve seen (and heard from both rumors and official sources), the wheels are constantly being kicked for deals we’ll probably never know about.

For all we know, this might be random gossip behind the scene’s that Jaffe has heard, or it could potentially be something more, or potentially something less grand (like C2077/Witcher deal on a service).

Edit: first thing I see on Twitter.:joy:

2 Likes

If an acquisition is rumored then it’s likely not happening

1 Like

There seems to be a misnomer about Poland protecting it’s companies from being purchased, while Poland does have strict guidelines for purchasing a polish company it has more to do with hostile takeovers more than public companies accepting a favorable acquisition offer. Microsoft has said many times that they wish to have teams in Poland, they clearly have targeted the area and for good reason. Poland is a new hotspot of sorts for gaming with CDPR,PCF,Bloober,CI Games, Techland, 11 bit studios, the farm, Ten square games, and Forever Entertainment just name a few,many of these are publicly traded companies. As the worlds economy continues to worsen with inflation I would expect more than one acquisition in Poland, hopefully Xbox chooses wisely.

3 Likes

Also the last time there was a lot of chatter was for Square Enix and Sony, and we still have yet something to hear about it.

3 Likes