Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

While smaller studios like Certain Affinity that already support Xbox projects could make sense shortly after the ABK transaction is approved, I wouldn’t expect anything else large for a while. With the current labor situation and the scope of the ABK problems, MS has to make sure they get that transition right. It’s a huge bet and they’ll want to ensure it gets the attention it needs.

3 Likes

What do you think happens when they go into detailed reviews of these deals? Just say “Well, after this Microsoft will only have 15% of the gaming market, so this is fine” and stamp it?

By the same logic you can divide a market to a point where Microsoft will have a monopoly on arcade racers due to Forza Horizon (as Nintendo does not count and Sony does not have an arcade racer).

Regulators can take any way to look at the acquisition. We have no way of knowing and any unfair complaints will go to the courts.

Truthfully, I think a big part of regulators making a show of it would be setting a precedent should MS look into other major acquisitions that could further consolidate the market. I don’t think this particular transaction is concerning to them but it’s the “slippery slope” argument MS needs to address.

Ultimately, it’ll probably go through next year. Likely with some sort of concessions attached as well.

It’s almost like we never talk about the Fighting Game market here.

I am sure you could break it down any way you please, but there are no barriers preventing an existing team from making a racing game or preventing subcontracting out a racing game.

Yeah, this isn’t really an ABK discussion, I have no doubt about that. This is more of a “can they buy major publisher like EA after ABK” discussion.

1 Like

Just like there are no barriers to start a publisher or make a game that will generated billions of revenue. Roblox generates revenue comparable to Ubisoft, Mihoyo generates more revenue than Capcom.

All in all, I think that Microsoft would not have problems going after EA or T2 but I don’t believe they will do that anyway. Not after ABK as those two are just not that attractive at all.

The demos they’ve shown of Crimson Desert and DokeV have looked bonkers.

I’m not sure why this is a point of controversy, if you listen to Hoeg law he says exactly this - that regulators are going to be looking to more specific markets than just the gaming market as a whole. I think the examples he used was that they would most likely be looking at the Activision acquisition on the basis of whether or not this would give Microsoft an unfair advantage in the still early cloud streaming and gaming subscription services market. I mean look at Facebook, their most recent acquisition is getting challenged for giving them an unfair advantage in the VR fitness apps market.

I dunno, DokeV looks fun but it’s a rather odd game visually. It looks more like an engine showcase than any kind of cohesive artstyle.

2 Likes

And this whole challenge is a bunch of nonsense. So just like I mentioned - unfair complaints will go to the courts.

The point is that regulators can look at whatever they want. However at this stage there is nothing points to Microsoft limiting the competition there. Nothing prevents other companies from starting their own subscription service - like Sony has been having one for years and did nothing with it.

Gaming market is a very complex. And not to mention there are also subscriptions to the games itself. Even on mobile.

1 Like

So you believe Microsoft should go after Valve or Epic Games. There is no way regulators would allow the acquisition to go through even if Microsoft keeps Steam and the Epic Games Store multiplatform. So why should Microsoft even bother knowing they wouldn’t be able to acquire them.

The ABK acquisition is fine and is one that will benefit Microsoft. What I’m talking about is future publishers acquisitions post ABK. Could Microsoft acquire EA or Take Two? Maybe but it will be a stretch for regulators and be a very long process for the acquisition to complete so I don’t see how that would be beneficial for Microsoft when you are pause for at least 1-2 years before the deal goes through.

Even Valve or Epic Games as a whole there is basically no way any of the regulators would approve of the deal since they are way too big.

1 Like

Well, they probably could but I don’t see them doing that.

My personal opinion (and it seems quite a few others agree here) is that after ABK closes Microsoft should immediately be courting their smaller partners ASAP and try getting those handled if at all possible.

Certain Affinity, Asobo, IO Interactive, and whoever else fits that bill. Not saying they should do whatever they can to get these all on board, but I’d argue Asobo and CA are vital.

10 Likes

I don’t see it happening unless Microsoft has no other choice. After Double Helix, Microsoft made sure to make the contracts that prevent such situation. IO might happen if Project Dragon succeeds, and Asobo shows no indication to sell.

1 Like

With Asobo wanting to remain independent that might prove difficult for a while. It might would be easier to buy Focus who they are close with and who own the Plagues tale IP to persuade them or at least keep them locked down for the next few years. I agree Certain Affinity should be vital as well. I in addition to them building their own MH style game and working on MP content for Halo. I would let them develop their own side story Halo game. Maybe an open world squad based Ghost Recon style game featuring Fire Team Osiris, or maybe another reach style game based on one of the books feature Sgt Johnson or something, but they should be given more freedom with the Halo IP.

3 Likes

Yep, but that’s why I said if at all possible.

Depends on what Asobo’s reasoning is. IO Interactive has also made a similar stance.

With that said Ninja Theory, Insomniac, Bungie, and Playground have made similar comments in the past too. We see how that turned out.

4 Likes

Time to change thread name

’ So if this is about competition, let us have competition ’

10 Likes

Then the next thread:

11 Likes

I think an underrated publisher that would create a number of synergies for Microsoft Gaming and expand their product portfolio is Hasbro. Start to expand their gaming IP into what Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro does best. It also brings the Transformers IP in house for Activision to work on. They also have massive family friendly IP that appeal like Peppa Pig.

Theyd be an interesting studio to add in conjunction with Jackbox Studios.

5 Likes

I will love to see activision returning to make transformers games, they where fun

Also hasbro owns peppa? I though the ip was owned by some russian company