Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

Persona 6 won’t be exclusive even if there is Sega acquisition. The game will be announced soon enough. P7 might be, but Atlus is Sega’s Mojang so it might be like Minecraft that was not available in GP for a long time either. Or there might be a clause where Atlus can leave if Sega is acquired and so on.

tbh a small part of me wants MS to acquire SE just cos it would be funny

no atlus is part of SEGA and if MS bought SEGA they could decide what atlus does lol much like how MS can decide what blizzard does once acquired despite activision and blizzard acting independently (it was straight up a term of the merger)

I don’t think so. Atlus has always had a very strange relationship with Sega proper.

do you have any proof SEGA doesn’t control atlus though or more importantly MS wouldn’t be able to if they hypothetically did acquire SEGA

Certain Affinity and skybox labs seam like a sure bet given past history. What about double eleven correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t they now working on fallout 76 and I know they did lots of work on Minecraft dungeons can we add them to the sure bet list as well?

I am not sure what exactly the relationship is between Sega and Atlus however their business practices has always been quite odd - especially in the ways how they treat various platforms. Not sure if it is due to Sega’s lack of investment in Atlus or just Atlus being weird.

Not really. I don’t see Microsoft buying support studios unless it is really really defensive and even then - like Sumo Digital - Microsoft is not willing to pay more than necessary. The thing with such acquisitions is that you bring a lot of people and you have to pay them more and provide more benefits. Why would anybody want that?

They are preparing the ground for Ubisoft or EA :laughing:

EA play would disappear and become one with gamepass. Microsoft will weather the price saving…they will make it up in a year or two just by getting 25 million additional subscribers. Fifa and Madden would do it alone.

1 Like

Or both, being honest I will love to see them going for some independent studios tho

I would be curious if that would be the case with CoD already coming in.

Like is it actually a case where there’d be a humungous bump with EA day one, or would it just be better retention? Either way is a win.

Sure, but I think that would be a Bethesda thing if they wanted to add them. And Certain Affinity and Skybox I’m not really seeing them as an acquisition to be a separate studio, more so they would be added to 343 to help on Halo and maybe do other things

2 Likes

Certain Affinity is a weird one since they’re both working on new IP with XGS (though Global Publishing) and they do support work for both XGS and ABK.

1 Like

It could be interesting to secure a few partner studios (IOI, CA, Int./Night, Double Eleven, Blackbird Interactive, Asobo, Iron Galaxy), but I have the impression that they are mainly looking for a catalog of IP and an autonomous structure.

8 Likes

Oh I have no doubt it would. I suspect all the sports license holders would be dribbling at the extra revenue and micro-transactions it would bring in too.

I suspect Microsoft would also be making substantially more profit from GP than paying X to EA like they do now.

1 Like

Yes. Everyone sees it the wrong way. Microsoft doesnt really want to increase the price of gamepass. People expecting the day it increases from $9.99 to $10.99. Well look at it logically. That price increase is a 10% bump, but said bump is just as likely to deter new customers and lose old customers…so how does it grow by increasing the price? Not easily.

The alternative. Wait. You want 10% more cash…add 10% more subscribers. Easier to keep the price the same and add another 2.5 million subscribers over a year…its not like an extra 300m dollars a year is a lot to Microsoft.

Its the same with games. Adding CoD to gamepass isnt about eventually raising the price, its about keeping the price the same and getting from 25m subs to 50 million.

6 Likes

I’m just more curious to see how much growth will come to Game Pass once Microsoft Gaming is actually firing on all cylinders.

Don’t get me wrong, adding another publisher would definitely help with growth, but I think people are underestimating what the current studio lineup (once things are more in order) can bring for GP growth too.

I also don’t expect Microsoft not to raise prices eventually, Phil has confirmed such concerns before. Essentially, it’s not a known quantity for now.

6 Likes

so its just speculation, I personally don’t believe it but I wanted to clarify

I think EA is their next play but I could see a few other strong possibilities like Take Two, Ubisoft, Capcom and maybe SEGA if the sammy part isn’t an issue. I would guess between those 5 personally

Yeah MS will 100% raise the price eventually, its a when not an if, but I don’t expect it for a few more years at least. I think they just want to grow the numbers 1st

1 Like

I think people look at Netflix as the prime example of how gamepass is gonna work in the future, but as someone else pointed out here Netflix doesn’t really have another source of revenue to work with. They just have Netflix. They also have investors that expect to see company growth year on year, and if they can’t show that through subscriber numbers they’re gonna have to find it another way. Like cutting costs. Or raising prices. Microsoft doesn’t have that same problem, traditional game sales and DLC and microtransactions and whatever else that they can earn from games, on top of being able to earn money through e-sports and expanding into other media and whatever else they want to do, ON TOP of physical console sales and the percent cut of any third party games they sell on that platform. And these sorts of proftis only GROW the more popular the platform get and the more subscribers they get on game pass because you’re getting more players on Xbox and you’re getting more players in your games which means more people buying DLC and additional content (and these are only some of the revenue sources, there ARE others).
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying there’ll never be an increase in the price of game pass but I think we’re more likely to see a dollar or so to match inflation rather than the gradual increase over time we’ve seen from Netflix.

1 Like

Just like with almost everything here is a speculation that is based on observation.

I agree. They will raise prices. But for now they are trying to grab the subscribers. No point to increase prices until GP subscriber number stabilize. For Microsoft, Xbox is not a big money drain anyway as it is still 10% of their revenue stream to a point where stakeholders are not even interested in them.

1 Like