Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

I try to but a lot of info if hard to fine (I am not even that anti Konami being honest, I think how they treated their employees is scummy but Japanese work culture isn’t great regardless and Konami going in the more profitable direction makes sense even if it sucks in some ways…the only part which pisses me off is Konami not letting Kojima go to the game awards, that just felt petty)

damn (I would count splatoon as a shooter but a 3rd person one). That is honestly pretty intresting. I knew apex had a following in Japan

just a question, why? Like shouldn’t this logic apply to the west too where MS bought the biggest player. Not saying you are wrong, just curious for your reasoning here. I would assuming it would come more down to what MS decides to target where price is obviously a factor but not the end all be all

Koie Tecmo is actually around the same price as Capcom and has 1 issue which I even overlooked. The Erikawa Family basically owns a majority share (45.7%) meaning if they don’t want to sell they could probably prevent it fairly easily, escpecially koei tecmo owns 6.29% of itself and on top of that another family (The Kakihara Family) owns 6.72% meaning if those 2 familys don’t want koei to be acquired they have enough power to vote against it

I mean the switch is still selling hand over fist and I believe PC is pretty popular there. Obvious mobile is dominate but that isn’t really shocking since it is dominate in most place if not everywhere since almost everyone owns a phone so I don’t think that is a sign of the downfall of AAA games in that market (just my 2 cent though)

Xbox giving sony a taste of its own medicine, also kinda funny how there is another user similar to thebrightestsun

3 Likes
5 Likes

they straight up threw them under the bus LMAO. Bruh

8 Likes

Microsoft taking absolute shots there at Sony.

Also glad to see further clarification on keeping CoD multiplat.

6 Likes

More discussion of this is in its dedicated thread @

9 Likes

???

I’m also glad they’ve given a fairly clear and definitive answer on the subject of Call of Duty exclusivity. I look forward to this being ignored completely and there being several more months of discussion on whether or not it’ll be exclusive.

7 Likes

dude obviously its just warzone, didn’t you see the secret code

They literally repeated the same talking point as in the blogpost.

They’re just referencing their previous statements…to the word…almost like they have a set response they don’t deviate from. A definitive statement would be issuing a new one. Which they arent.

And they could. It would make this deal open and shut.

I was reading the post on resetera and there was a account with your name

Because it is me :joy:

1 Like

Damm man, didnt knew you where on that platform aswell

crossplatform exists before consoles :joy:

5 Likes

Activision blizzard is a special case. As if you look at the pre scandal value and the post scandal value you will see your answer. Even if with the premium they paid over the stock price it was still cheaper than pre scandal high. The company wasn’t magically worth less because of a tangible thing. It was all around press. So they basically got billions knocked off the cost for free and bought a company that is worth well above what they paid for it. However, you can’t exactly compare that purchase to other acquistions with that level of causation and correlation. As not every company Microsoft buys is part of scandal or struggling. ABK is an exception, not the rule.

The reasoning to the statement is why would pay more when you can buy the competitor for less unless in this case Capcom is providing something that is so wholly unique it cannot be obtained through any method other than acquisition. So it comes down to first what is microsofts goals?

1. They told us they want to reach 3 billion gamers. Thats partially marketing fluff but also a degree of truth is in the ideology of that statement itself.

2. So then its about how. Well we obviously proprietary hardware sales but also Service sales in the form of gamepass. As Microsoft as an entity is a subscription based company. Azure, Microsoft 365, GamePass, Cybersecurity holdings, etc. its all about month over month recurring revenue.

So how does capcom help you achieve firstly 1 then also 2. None of capcoms properties are demonstratively better in engagement and monthly active users then any of there competitors. Monster Hunter world is huge but it still has peaks valleys. Its not like Final Fantasy 14, Destiny, etc. where you are logging in daily and weekly by nature of the game. Monster Hunter has a longer tale then many other properties but to the level where it cannot be duplicated.

So then you look at can a competitor give me what I desire for less. In capcom’s case the answer is yes. There are other Japanese entities you can get for cheaper that would provide you a similar gain return in the long run.

Koei tecmo though reached its peak in 2021 and now its declining year over year most likely back to 2017, 2018 value which was mostly flat around that time where capcom is increasing year over year. Even today tehy are about a billion dollars apart in just market cap and that gulf only looks to be widening. you will have to pay significantly more for capcom then koei tecmo and based on market trends moreso every day.

Nowhere did I say we were seeing the downfall of triple A games. I just said AAA games don’t sell as well in Japan as they have in the past. So sales in western markets are more important to them than they ever have been.

huh, I won’t lie you make some really good points I have never considered.

this is ignoring the family part which could make it significantly more expensive if they don’t want to sell since you would basically need to money hat and koei tecmo is only about $0.17B behind Capcom’s market cap (koei tecmo is $5.57B and capcom is $5.75B) so basically identical but fair with the rest but you are also getting considerably less with them, at that point just go for SEGA or SE who are cheaper (Square costing $5.46B and Sammy SEGA costing $3.27B in terms of market cap).

ah, sorry miss understood

1 Like

They provide a set of relatively big IPs with a loyal following. In general none of japanese publishers (aside Square Enix) help to achieve any of those 2 points.

Resetera ban speedrun record incoming

3 Likes

Snoy: NOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU CAN’T BUY COWADOODY ITS A GENRE ITSELF

Microchad: Seethe and Cope.

5 Likes