Xbox Acquisition |OT5| Talking Exclusively About Xbox Acquisitions

I did say SEGA wasn’t as good as Square Enix or Capcom for a reason lol, I just said they would fill the gap granted not anywhere near as affectively as the other 2. I would say Square would be a better get from a purely Japanese perspective while Capcom would be a better get from a more general perspective.

Personally I would get Capcom over Square as their IPs hold more weight worldwide but if MS was going between the 2 it could really go either way as both have compelling cases

Lots of people are turning game IP into shows. If I was Xbox and did anything in this space (where I have control over the entire process), I would acquire to facilitate creation of animated only series or movies to expand on current IP lore. Nothing live action. Strictly canon, animation and include in Game Pass Ultimate.

4 Likes

The season continues

4 Likes

Interesting… I guess.

Very unusual for Sony to buy the studio before it produced a single game. Microsoft should do the same with Avalanche and IO and Certain Affinity :fire:

I wonder if somebody approached the studio and forced Sony’s hand.

5 Likes

Aswell sega, they have phantasy star online 2 which xbox could make it grow, they also have a mobile division, I dont know about you but besides ff and dragon quest, which other game from them are going to make people in japan go crazy? Forspoken? Valkyrie elysium? Star ocean?

I dont know from where are you guys getting this idea that people in japan just play jrpgs, but if thats the focus microsoft should have, then they also have famcom, level 5, etc

Square is no longer the same developer that created secret of mana, chrono trigger, final fantasy 7, or nier, just because they launch more jrpgs than other doesnt mean that they are the “kings of jrpgs”

no but the fact they own the most iconic and important JRPGs by a long shot does, this is like saying MS shouldn’t of bought bethesda because the are not the same bethesda they once were ignoring the fact they own some of the biggest WRPG in gaming

1 Like

Another GAAS acquisition. This is what Sony wants to build up. A big number of GAAS studios.

Haven’s website is a mess lol

8 Likes

Well, you have to fund TLOU, GoW etc. somehow. Look at how much Square Enix produces - most of it is just though - relying on their FF14 revenue.

I kind of find it funny how watered down PlayStation’s first-party is becoming. So much for the prestige.

Aaaaany day now Sony is nabbing one of those Japanese publishers right :joy:?

“MS hurry up before Sony does!” :yawning_face:

3 Likes

They’re buying what they can afford. Water.

Allright, so besides dragon quest and final fantasy (that isnt a jrpg anymore)

What other famous jrpg ips have they continue to make more games?

Maybe, but given Sony have been working so closely with them it seems more likely the project is simply running smoothly and Sony is happy with what they are seeing. Or perhaps this is a doubling down after spending quite so much on Bungie - getting another live service team under their wing who can gain more from Bungies expertise.

1 Like

Good for her and good for them :pensive:

1 Like

Neir, chrono trigger, they make kingdom hearts granted disney owns it, Bravely Defualt, Front Mission, Octopath Travellers, valkyrie Profile ect. but if we are talking big here, they have a connection to kingdom hearts since they make it, maybe nier and I would argue Chrono trigger due to its massive cult following and its massive in Japan. Now can I apply the same logic to bethesda, what big WRPG IPs do they own outside of fallout and the elderscrolls

1 Like

I asked which of this ips have they continued to work, there is no new chrono trigger, the last nier was a remake, and kingdom hearts 4 isnt coming anytime soon

Octopath traveler, valkyrie elysium, star ocean, bravely default, I havent seen any of those ips having a big impact in japan, just because square launch more jrpgs doesnt mean they are all masterpieces

Thats like saying that ubisoft is the king of open world games because they launch more games of that type than any other publisher

they can make a new chrono trigger if they want, the last nier being a remake shows what exactly? I don’t see this as a gotcha moment, just saying the series isn’t dead and kingdom hearts games came out between kingdom hearts 2 and 3 but if we believe the GeForce now leak Kingdom hearts 4 is coming. Also this is just my opinion but when comparing Square’s JRPG’s to Bethesda’s WRPG, I think square has more consistantly good quality but a dragon quest release is massive in Japan, that IP becoming exclusive alone would be enough to move the needle in Japan

They can, but what gives you the security that they will do it? Or a new nier in the near future? Or kingdom hearts 4, again

Tell me when was the last time that any of the new ips from square made a big impact as chrono? Just like all this is just your opinion, I can easily say that all this new jrpg games from square are just generic, nobody talks about octopath like other titles, but thats just my opinion