Xbox Acquisition |OT4| It's Acquisition Season for Xbox with $69 Billion deal, NICE!

It’s just an Azure deal But okay Nothing has happened here for a long time. Conspiracy theories are our everything

We are waiting for Sony to start releasing exclusives on Xbox, because they also have a similar deal :slight_smile:

1 Like

They did though :risi:

7 Likes

Azure is popular cloud for gaming as far as I can see. AWS is popular for movie streaming though.

But anyway, this event certainly certainly means no acquisitions in the near future.

She will certainly be the replacement for Phil if Phil retires to play Destiny. Interesting that both Phil and Satya are of the similar age so no idea when they will want to retire. Their job is not done yet.

Hindle and his “remember, no Japan”

3 Likes

I think it’s due in large part to Xbox showing use cases in gaming and constantly leading the way. Much like on movies, TV shows, Amazon prime provides these.

I think originally it was Netflix who used Amazon (as the first cloud provider) and led the way there

1 Like

It is. But it’s also a closer partnership with Sega, that could lead to bigger things further down the road.

2 Likes

The agreement with Sega is much deeper than an agreement to buy cloud services. We don’t know what it entrails yet. We need to just chill and wait for more info.

In the meantime, it’s a great time to buy Asobo :grin:

4 Likes

I wonder if MS can get a deal for Nintendo online services too. More $$ for Azure :rocket:

Same deal as with Sony and its not gonna lead to an acquisition down the road tho.

Sega is acquirable, Sony is not, obviously. :smile:

Besides, it sounds like more than just hiring Azure server space, which is what the Sony deal amounts to. Sounds like it involves the development and delivery of a bespoke cloud gaming platform for Sega within Azure, which is a fair bit more involved.

4 Likes

You have no idea what this means yet, everyone just needs to sit back. Sarah Bond said she can’t to share more, so let’s let her do that.

3 Likes

there is more to share ?

The below tweet says “Can’t wait to share more in the future”

So I’ll just wait to hear more and what this entails. https://twitter.com/BondSarah_Bond/status/1454996516125347842?s=20

13 Likes

Oh definitely, Sega is not only renting servers. I guess Game Stack and Azure are a big part of the deal for their ‘super cloud game’.

8 Likes

I also expect that WHEN FF14 comes to Xbox, it would come after an Azure deal where they migrate to Azure or get help in any way with their servers through Azure, because I recall that game suffers from player demand bigger than server capacity or something like that.

1 Like

yeah, the servers are overpacked in FFXIV in every way. They have some servers almost permanently locked from new character creation. There is also not enough capacity for things like player housing and inventory. I think the game has only had 2 significant increases to its server capacity over its lifetime. Azure servers would greatly help that game grow because right now there is no room for new players.

1 Like

Neither do you so better to just play it SAFE by just keeping this Azure Gaming related and thats it. If anything else comes out then great but if this was some kind of big xbox announcement it would have had an xbox wire post detailing it early Monday morning.

I’m playing it safe by saying we don’t know what this is. It’s not reasonable to say it is or isn’t anything until we hear more. Right now it’s an Azure agreement that Sarah Bond is excited to share more information on. Doesn’t mean it’s limited to Azure and it doesn’t mean it’s anything more either. Just a waiting game to hear what it means.

4 Likes

Not necessarily. If the deal, as an example drawn from nothing, included the resulting ‘Super Games’ coming to Game Pass on day one, would they announce that now?

Normally Game Pass launches get announced in the run-up to launch, at most months and sometimes mere weeks or even days before they drop.

If the deal did include a ‘sweentener’ like that, I would expect to hear anything about it until much closer to the games being released, which would be a looong way out at this stage.

So great news for this thread – years of baseless speculation booked in already. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Gmta llol was thinking same thing. Normally, when yoship mentions xbox he says phil san not Microsoft. Over 2 weeks ago in the interview he didn’t mention xbox or phil he specifically said Microsoft. I think they are negotiating some deal the cloud the port is negotiated, but now their acquiring cloud for all their platforms etc. They have to because their own server support is maxed.