Xbox Acquisition |OT3| 100% Organic Growth

If barely means completely not related, but I’m shoe horning it in anyway, then yeah. It’s barely related

2 Likes

MS would not agree on partnership or any other way that would allow to make the third party tool crucial to Xbox.

Partnership as in Microsoft owns and acquires Discord.

Short of MS owning them, they won’t do something as large. I was running down the benefits both companies bring to the other side and why an acquisition makes sense.

And why Discord is so dumb for walking away.

1 Like

Well yes, Discord would benefit as a whole as it would solve issue with paying for infrastructure and even people would benefit by getting perks of Discord into Game Pass Ultimate. But instead Discord is trying to go IPO that will decimate it eventually and Sony happily paraded with their partnership (which will probably amount to nothing, with no benefits to Playstation community).

1 Like

Jesse beat me to it, but thank you for bringing this back on topic and speaking my language :wink:

1 Like

But its not always the better platform that rises in popularity. It’s almost dumb luck as to why one platform gained while others lost out. Don’t get me started down the beta/vhs or hddvd/bluray path or how is Facebook still a thing. The thing behind Discord isn’t the technology, it’s the mass of users.

1 Like

You left out Asobo lol.

And pretty sure they have some rights of first refusal contract agreements with them to protect Microsoft’s interests too. At least I feel like they should at this point. Nothing known definitively by me.

1 Like

I want Xbox to buyout Splash Damage from Tencent.

1 Like

But the thing about slack is that it was destroyed exactly due to mass of office users. Game pass has around 30, discord has many more so it cannot be destroyed by that.

1 Like

They are a two trillion dollars company but they aren’t going to drop 100 billion in a movie company, one market that’s not even on MS radar lol.

Are we sure about that?

I weighed them getting all of discovery,idk, just do not see them jumping into movies. The line for wb must be long with apple, amazon, netflix. I just think,satya wouldn’t do it. I, realy dont see t2 either. Of the big publishers western ones generally are not witholdkng ips from xbox…but in japan they want tl capture that audience theh need the personna, final fantasy,dragonquest etc…

Yeah, Satya never realistically mentioned the movie market as a potential target for Microsoft. You don’t drop 100 billion in a new market without telling shareholders beforehand.

Microsoft biggest acquisition(Linkedln) was 1/5th of Warner’s value, and that was in an area that MS considers a pillar.

I doubt we see that happen. I’m more concerned with what may happen to Certain Affinity. Tencent buying Leyou means they own 20% of CA, and the right to buyout the remaining 80%. Just not sure CA wants that to happen, and/or maybe Microsoft steps in.

I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating - support studios are going to be VERY important this generation, and Microsoft would do well to solidify those relationships early on. A lot of Microsoft’s go-to support studios have been picked up recently, and I can’t see them allowing that to continue.

7 Likes

In my opinion, there’s an overreaction to the topic of support studios right now. There are plenty of work for hire teams out there. Most no one here could name, half a dozen I know who work with Xbox independently that I could list off the top of my head. Xbox isn’t particularly picky with who they work with in this regard either. Internally, if there was concern over support staff, Microsoft would have bought someone out a while ago.

2 Likes

One thing I heard a while back was they were looking into the support studios they were using related to Halo. These would be the smallest sized acquisitions, under a billion. Not sure what happened there, or if Embracer or Tencent stepped in for some of them. May have just been speculation.

Like Sperasoft? They made that big announcement last year that they where assisting in Halo.

I think it was more along the lines of Halo: MCC related studios, more so the ones helping out the last few years getting it all fixed up and ongoing content updates.

Behavoir Interactive would be another huge support studio for MS historically but also Bethesda. May be one to watch.

3 Likes