Xbox Acquisition |OT3| 100% Organic Growth

MS usually don’t do that kind of thing tho.

They announced Halo flighting on the day of

well yeah they need the sign ups by EOD Monday so it was either then or Friday and typically you don’t announce things on a Friday as it doesn’t get as much attention

1 Like

The EOD could’ve been any time. They wanted something to drop for the event, is all I’m saying

To which I don’t think that’s really accurate because they dropped the tweet literally as the event was scheduled to go live lol. Seems like pretty poor timing when hardly anyone would be looking at Halo tweets…

And Ske7ch said: https://twitter.com/ske7ch/status/1436062542988660739?s=20

So… no the EOD couldn’t have been any time if they wanted to be on schedule.

I really don’t think that was something worth using to try to counter an event. The event also completely overshadowed it lol.

1 Like

i dont think nacon gonna allow spiders to go away

Doubt the rumors about take two but their share price is having a bad run this year.

Speak for yourself, I am Nadella

2 Likes

We are all Nadella!

I think gaming companies across the board dipped after their incredible COVID induced highs.

It seems to be the ones in the news for bad practices or controversy that have been hit. So the likes of Take 2, Activision blizzard and ubisoft are all down quite a bit. The Japanese publishers, EA and a few other are all up or about the same. There’s been a lot of talk about RDR online not doing well and Take 2 depending heavily on GTA online money along with the sequel being quite far away and the poor reception of the GTA upgrade

I don’t recall Take Two being embroiled in a controversy, but you’re right in that a number of the Japanese publishers I had looked at have climbed back or just about to their COVID peaks these past few months. I wonder what Take Two’s issue is.

All the public ones have dipped, ironically it’s the best time to acquire a listed company vs a private one which would aks an enourmous price compared to its real value.

Obviously Playground has delivered Horizon 4 since the acquisition, although most don’t twig that this is the fruit of an acquisition as they were already contracted second-party on the franchise before they were bought.

But the genuinely new studios have also delivered games. We’ve had The Outer Worlds from Obsidian, Wasteland 3 from inXile, and Psychonauts 2 from Double Fine. The issue is that due to existing deals and commitments none were exclusive, but they still all went straight into Game Pass and MS is still pulling in revenue from their sales on other platforms.

If those who claimed that it would be just as good if not better for MS to keep all Zenimax games multiplat and just put them on Game Pass (otherwise they’re "leaving money on the table) needed proof that this was nonsense, they need only look at those games.

Most people don’t even register that these are post-acquisition games from MS-owned studios because they are not exclusive. They don’t move the needle. They don’t draw people into the Xbox ecosystem. It’s exactly why every Bethesda, id, Machinegames and Arkane game that can be needs to be exclusive.

True, but there is value there for them.

Right now, the Ascent is Xbox console exclusive. Wait a year, and it won’t be. If they tie them down, they have a new IP that has only ever been on Xbox platforms to build on. That’s not an easy thing to come across.

And it’s an IP with great potential. The Ascent had its issues, but they were issues that more investment, more development time, and the advantage of MS’ massive QA infrastructure would have solved.

I think what they achieved with a team of 12 people and a lot of favours showed a massive potential. With more money, more time, and a lot of QA the Ascent 2 (or The Descent or whatever they called it) could be massive.

1 Like

You don’t need to tell me that, I always said they should have ditched Deathloop and Ghostwire contract, the fact that they profited from those games anyway it’a meaningless for us (outside the GP perk which is great, make no mistake) and for the brand, they are not Xbox games unfortunately, not even in reality because outside Psychonauts 2 (which is luckily enough because Xbox bought back publishing from Starbreeze which is crashing and burning and we have seen the difference when they had some flexibility: no parity at all with PS versions), MS doesn’t even publish them. Fortunately enough those commitments are done and we’re seeing it: TOW 2 is exclusive, inXile is not making crowfunding and publisher pitching anymore, so is Double Fine, etc…

1 Like

Was more talking ‘to the ether’ than you in making that point. Wasn’t suggesting this was your view. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Don’t worry, I was only explaining further my point. XD

If MS followed some ideas you read here with Zenimax games, the brand could have even been damaged, not strenghtend, because not making them exclusive after buying the company (not timed rights XD) would have signaled a great weakness.

1 Like

Who do we acquire today boiz