Xbox Acquisition |OT3| 100% Organic Growth

Same reason as everyone else

vince mcmahon wwe GIF

The price just has to be right

1 Like

This was very educational thanks for this. If I recall correctly this was before the gearbox and codemasters acquisitions which really started spiking the cost. I imagine insomniac would be much higher valued if they sold at a different time.

2 Likes

Can we not repeat this idiotic, unnecessary argument? Also, has nothing to do with acquisitions at this point.

14 Likes

If it ultimately will harm its overall success, it might not be an “idiotic” take, no?

Maybe it was a requirement for the sale of Zenimax. I can understand that Microsoft might be reluctant to immediately barge into Bethesda and rip up contracts. That would cast a very bad light at them and would complicate acquisitions in the future.

I don’t think so. This isn’t the same Microsoft that trampled all over companies to get what they want.

I just think it wasn’t worth the hassle for them. You think anyone will care about this in a year when Redfall, Deathloop and Starfield will release back to back with only few months in between?

I seriously doubt this has anything to do with being nice guys.

Keep it on topic or take it to the community threads, I’m tired of getting DMs when I’m working because a few bad actors can’t read the title of the thread.

9 Likes

Got you bro!

sega GIF

13 Likes

Denzel Washington GIF

9 Likes

Right, getting Steam would be a great tthing for MS

And getting new ownership who would actually have interst in making a new Halflife, Portal and maybe even Team Fortress would be great for us

Not seeing it happen, but I’d certainly love it if it did

1 Like

take-two-interactive-logo-99DD475B48-seeklogo.com hqdefault denzel-laugh

8 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think anyone with any sense of business acumen would argue against the overall value of Valve, it’s primarily the fact that it doesn’t coincide with the strategy Xbox’s leadership are leaning into. The majority of Valve’s value stems from its PC dominance, but Xbox is building an ecosystem that by-and-large supports all of the Game Pass devices (Xbox, PC, and Cloud), so Valve would be the first purchase to specifically focus on one market, which they haven’t done. There’s no question that they have some great IP as well, sure, but none of them are anywhere near the juggernauts that some other publishers/devs have that would be far more sensible from a cost/benefit evaluation.

Would I love for Gabe and crew to “come home”? Sure, but I don’t see it happening personally and from a business standpoint, it doesn’t make much sense nor is there precedence.

3 Likes

If Microsoft wants games for kids, they should buy Activision for Call of Duty.

11 Likes

I laughed

2 Likes

I believe anyone and everyone is a target. Ubisoft, take two, Wb, paradox, japanese publishers, smaller studios mid sized studos, etc.

None of them are prohibitively expensive for Microsoft. It’s all about who is willing to do a deal and which studios would pass the vetting process. As obviously just because you offer someone a deal doesn’t mean they will take it. Not every deal makes sense for both sides.

Microsoft’s aspirations for where they are going seems like they will need many more studios then Sony. As the overall goal would be to to get to a point where if need be you could sustain gamepass yourself kind of like netflix does with there own internal production. Yes netflix still liscenes some outside shows but the bulk of the heavy lifting is internal studios. Microsoft seems to be on the same path and 23 studios doesn’t quite seem like enough to effectively achieve those aspirations.

Plus there are only so many studios and dev teams. Consolidation we are seeing seems to validate that. They aren’t an infinite resource. So it seems like the industry as a whole is playing musical chairs. The only question is who is going to be the odd man out?

4 Likes

Jonah Hill Ok GIF

13 Likes

I think they will continue acquiring studios big and small I just dont think (MY OPINION HERE) we will see a publisher of Zenimax size be done. But hey prove me wrong cause I wont complain.

Im on the record here multiple times saying if its one I do see them acquire its Paradox because it boosts their PC side immensely.

2 Likes

So uh

Xbox is acquiring the Dallas Mavericks and move them to Seattle. The Sonics are back.

Probably Game Pass or something similar.

4 Likes

Marketing rights. They been promoting 2K since last week.

1 Like