Xbox Acquisition |OT2| Something, Something, Snowball Effect

i think any studio able to put a game in 2-4 years might worth investing in

1 Like

Bluepoint never made an original game, MS don’t need a remaster studio

2 Likes

But there are many games that can be remastered though. Not everything should be a new IP.

3 Likes

I would go after Bluepoint simply to keep Sony from a potential acquisition in the future. I would also let them create their own IP as it has been rumored they really want a shot at it. If they didn’t want to do that or it didn’t go as planned give them a pick of any Xbox Owned IP and let them do what they feel is best with it. Whether a remake or reboot of said IP.

1 Like

why buying a studio to make remaster ? If they want to do remaster they can contract it

And Xbox don’t do a lot of remaster, they prefer backward compatibility

3 Likes

Why a remaster studio would have 80 millions to make a new IP ? Did they even have level designer, game designer in their studio ? What they did to deserve it ? Why Bluepoint deserve that budget and creativity when there is a lot of talented and creative studio that could release a great game with that budget

What is the problem if Sony buy them, there is a lot of studio that can handle remaster. Also I don’t know why Sony would buy them

Sony would buy them because they have had great success remaking older sony games the last two generations. The Uncharted collection, Shadow of the Colossus, and Demon’s Souls. I am not saying pay them 80 million, but they have helped bolster Sony’s 1st party titles and I don’t see why they couldn’t do the same for Xbox. They ought to not be super expensive either since they don’t own any original IP.

1 Like

I don’t see what the point for Sony to buy them, yeah they help because they are support studio but they are not creative. Sony and MS are looking for teams that can create great IP, not for a team of engineer with no creative

And even if Sony buy them, it’s not like MS is going to lose something, the last Bluepoint’s port that wasn’t playstation exclusive is Titanfall on 360, it’s not a big deal, we are not going to miss something, it’s not like Sony buy an important studio if they buy Bluepoint

If you want Bluepoint to make a new ip, you want MS to give dozen millions dollars to a support studio to make an IP, it just don’t make sense. There is a lot of studio that have 100x more talent than Bluepoint on every point except their engine

I would rather see Microsoft invest in creative indie studio like Compulsion to give them budget for a new IP or famous studio/publisher like Bethesda instead of buying support studio that don’t add value to Xbox

2 Likes

Creating new IP is not the most important thing because there are tons of old IPs that can be revived when needed. But poaching talent is very important. Talent is important.

It is like with fighting games. How many studios can make these games? How many studios can produce good remakes?

With recent news about the whole Last of Us remake, Bluepoint makes more sense now than ever with Sony.

If they want a studio that can update visuals (and potentially mechanics) to modern standards (or current entries of a franchise) then they’d be a good get.

If they’re truly looking to make a brand new IP, Sony might not be willing to bight unless it follows the formula they want. We’ll see though.

1 Like

according to the rumour, TLOU remake is made by Naughty Dog because it’s easier and quicker for them so Bluepoint is not concerned

Why Sony would want to BUY a support studio when they can just contract them like they did for 5 years ?

Bluepoint don’t make sense for Sony and MS, they buy creative, not support studio

1 Like

I’m firmly in the “new IPs over remakes” camp, but there’s obviously room in the industry for people who specialize in amazing remakes like Demon Souls. It seems like Bluepoint has unique tech or at least a style their devs are used to where they can easily put amazing visuals over the old game in efficient ways too.

I really don’t like the low risk nature of remakes becoming bigger and bigger in the industry, but can’t deny playing a pretty version of an old favorite will always be a nice treat.

Wouldn’t put money on MSFT picking up Bluepoint though, it seems like Sony are loving what they’re doing so far.

1 Like

My point was if they’re planning on remaking TLOU (and supposedly the original Uncharted which was the original plan I guess), they’re probably planning on doing this with more games.

That’s why I think Blue Point makes sense if that’s Sony’s play right now. Allows their main teams to focus on their main projects.

I think it does to an extent. Which made a bigger impact? Buying Zenimax for 10 AAA games or buying 30 indie studios.

ahhh ok i didn’t understand

but it was not Sony’s idea to make a Uncharted/TLOU remake. Sony have a support studio at San diego that wanted to create a project and become a "real " studio so they choose to try their hand on Uncharted remake and then on TLOU because it was easier. It was not Sony idea, just an idea of one of their support studio

Sony don’t have old valuable game that can be remastered by Bluepoint for PS5, that’s why I think their team are not going to have problem to focus on original game

I think they need studios that do more creative games. With Xbox, we know that they support their games with back compatability and they’ve shown the ability to update their games fps via code. Who knows maybe they’ll work on an AI solution that compares graphics and rerenders them for the future. Maybe something like a GAN network can tackle that type of problem.

1 Like

I think the issue is that those types of games don’t really sell (although, Minecraft, Roblox and Rocket League do)…the key word being sell, Microsoft specifically changed their business model from focusing on game sales to focusing on selling time with a large library of games.

Selling games is hit driven and Sony have painted themselves into a corner by homogonizing their titles to be extremely formulaic. god of war used to be an action game like devil may cry until Sony blatantly wouldn’t greenlight another action game, so it became the last of us with an axe.

Because that’s what sold. Thats what they told their fans to buy.

Microsoft selling subscriptions means the content doesn’t really matter (good,bad,low budget, big budget, any game of any genre) as long as the subscriptions keep going up and you don’t overspend on content that it drives you into the red.

Microsoft knows buying studios and publishers and knows:

This will bring customer satisfaction and people retain their subs This will gain new subscribers faster and quicker then if you don’t buy them They have the PC, Cloud and consoles for their install base

Sony can’t invest in new AAA games because new IPs are less likely to sell your requisite number and can’t stop you’re existing IP because thats your breadwinner, hence the $70 price, hence the $60 expansion packs, hence the $40 remaster.

Can’t sell on cloud, Xbox has them beat. Can’t sell on PC, you’ll only sell less Playstations.

And secondly, they don’t have the studios. What happenned to all the independant AAA studios they could have hired? Microsoft and THQ Nordic bought them.

what studios would these be? :chief_think:

1 Like

Haha fair question. That was just a prediction but I guess I can take a swing at it: Hello Games, IO Interactive, Bit 11 and Techland.

Xbox should be looking ahead and creating new games instead of looking back and remaking games already experienced.